Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomlikeabomb wrote:
The only components are 96 cards right?

According to the author, 6 sets of 16 cards each. That's all. Now, we have to decide whether it's worth it or not, what adds to the core game, etc.

Hard to evaluate if we can't see footage other than opening boxes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
According to the author, 6 sets of 16 cards each. That's all.
Actually: Designer's answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So 96 cards and 3 punch boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game pricing isn't entirely about components, look at the cost of microgames like Love Letter or 3 Wishes. The smaller a game in terms of content, the more disproportionately expensive it is because of the minimum "overhead" cost of producing a unit (not manufacturing cost).

The price you pay for a game is only loosely coupled to the content, it's affected by market perceived value too (that's why sometimes the box size is wholly unrelated to the content). For me, €25 for a Deus expansion that allows me to extend the replayability of the game and do new stuff - providing as I understand it 6 decks that can swap out the base game decks - is a good thing and I'll be happy to pay it as I'm sure I'll get €25 value from my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that it's worth it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad for you that you'll miss out because you can't look beyond component counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I'm sad for you that you'll miss out because you can't look beyond component counts.

From a purely component wise perspective, it's expensive. However, to determine whether it's worth it or not, it can be only assessed once you play it and see what does add to the game.

It may be the case that using some of those new sets the gameplay becomes fresh with a new level of interaction and so on, providing a full new experience.

Anyhow, I'm in and I'll try to play it this weekend before buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

From a purely component wise perspective, it's expensive. However, to determine whether it's worth it or not, it can be only assessed once you play it and see what does add to the game.

It may be the case that using some of those new sets the gameplay becomes fresh with a new level of interaction and so on, providing a full new experience.

Anyhow, I'm in and I'll try to play it this weekend before buying it.
These days pretty much any card-based game is expensive for the "what's in the box" (which is, of course, why publishers like to make them). My approach is always "am I prepared to pay £X for some stuff for a particular game?" Now the answer to that is usually related more to how much I love the particular game (and I love Deus muchly), what is added in terms of gameplay and how much play I expect to get out of it. Component count relative to cost comes a very long way down that list.

I'd pay £10 for the right single card for Arkham Horror. I've certainly paid $5 for 4-card expansions to games like Sushi Go! So frankly $25 for around 100 cards plus some other bits, for a game that I like as much as I do Deus, seems like pretty good value to me. Certainly enough value to buy it "sight unseen". Gotta have faith in your designers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Gotta have faith in your designers' should be the slogan for a T-shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people felt that Ladies of Troyes was too expensive, but when it went out of print it commanded huge prices on the secondary market. A bunch of people wished they had bought it when they could have gotten it at the original price.

I think Pearl may have figured out you can charge more for an expansion, since you've already got the audience hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SupaGerm wrote:
Some people felt that Ladies of Troyes was too expensive, but when it went out of print it commanded huge prices on the secondary market. A bunch of people wished they had bought it when they could have gotten it at the original price.

I think Pearl may have figured out you can charge more for an expansion, since you've already got the audience hooked.
Very cynical viewpoint. You could also consider that the proportion of people who buy the expansion compared to those who bought the base game falls off with every expansion. (in a game like Eldritch Horror it seems to half with each comparable expansion with less than half the BGG-registered copies having an accompanying first expansion). This makes the economics of a print run for an expansion somewhat tricky. (lower volumes = more expensive per unit vs. larger print run with more stock in the warehouse for longer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't meant to be cynical. I'm not implying Pearl is price-gouging or anything.

Economies of scale say it would cost X to produce an expansion. That leads to Y being the retail price. If it's a new game, Y may be too high to succeed in the market. An expansion for a game that already has an audience can charge Y without risking the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI my agent in the field picked this up at Essen for 22 euros. I felt a little on the more expensive side but given the amount it looks to change the game I am happy.

At least as happy as amn can be without being at Essen cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.