Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As you might be able to tell from my none-too-subtle avatar, we have grandiose dreams of becoming a board game design company.

For the past few years, my brother Andrew and I have been designing FUSION: Space Combat. Fusion is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game in which 2 players issue commands to their starships, with each command taking a specified amount of time. Players respond to each other’s commands, planning and countering each other’s attack and defence plays.

The game consists of several phases, the main one of which is the Command Phase. During the Command Phase, players play Command Cards. Each command performs a specific action, such as firing a missile, building more equipment or transmitting a virus.

(A note about the images - these all show preliminary graphic design and minimal artwork. We’re in the midst of a complete overhaul of the look and feel, which Andrew has posted about here on BGG and on our site. https://gravitasboardgames.com/2016/10/08/the-starship-mat/.

In the Command Phase, both players place their first card. Whichever card has the lowest Command Time value (the number at the top right of the cards) executes first. After executing a command, the player places their next command card, with the Command Time values of their commands accumulating. Play continues with the player who has the lowest accumulated time executing their command next.

The Command Phase ends when both players have reached their Command Time Limit and can’t play any more cards.

It is not just a simple matter of deciding what your best cards are for the turn. Factors causing interesting decisions are:
1 - Commands can be countered, leading you to play such cards as late as possible in the turn.
2 - Both players have a JAM command at their disposal, which reduces your opponent’s available Command Time for the turn. If you leave it too late to play your decisive card, you might end up wasting it!
3 - Most commands go to Cooldown for one turn after being played, so are not available the following turn.

Critical actions are resolved by rolling custom dice with Success and Bonus faces. The effect of the die faces rolled depends on the card being played, for example they may mean you reduce your opponent’s Hull, infect them with a virus, or lock on to your opponent.

Command cards are not drawn from a deck, and this is not a deck-building game. Players have their entire suite of command cards available to them. In the first scenario, this numbers 6 cards, with new commands introduced over the ensuing scenarios up to 13 standard cards.

The resource in the game is chi (pronounced “chee”) or energy. Players generate this at the start of each turn, and spend it to increase their skill levels and their Command Time Limit. Skills are used to increase a player’s performance at each of the commands.

Other features of the game:
- Environment cards that envelop the players and have an ongoing effect, unless the players choose to navigate away from them
- Locations that players may choose to interact with and perform the Location’s specific command instructions
- Three different weapon systems, each with their strengths and weaknesses
- Tactics Cards and Enhanced Commands that provide new commands and other opportunities
- Viruses that you can infect your opponent with
- A large game board

We’re trying to develop a deeply immersive, thematic game with interesting decisions but most importantly fun to play.

We’ve got a web site at https://gravitasboardgames.com
Game world at https://gravitasboardgames.com/2015/06/27/f-u-s-i-o-n-timeli...
More info on the core mechanics at https://gravitasboardgames.com/2016/03/31/command-cards-in-f...

We’ve got a fair amount of work still ahead of us. We’re doing partial blind play-testing (I’m watching people play, but letting them work everything out from the rules). The graphic design is being redesigned.

We’d welcome any thoughts, criticisms, questions, voices of encouragement or otherwise on the game, the mechanics and the graphic design.

We’re planning on uploading a Print N Play for the first two scenarios. Is there any interest in that? Please let me know in the comments or PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charilaos Bacharis
msg tools
mb
Hello.

Really like what I have seen.

I would like a pnp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I'd like to take a look at the pnp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the interest guys. I'll upload things as soon as they're ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Smedley
msg tools
Hi all.

I happen to be one of the play-testers with my mate Chris for Michael and Andrew's FUSION game. Chris and I have been happy to test the many variants of the game as it has been slimmed down and refined over an extended period. I can heartily recommend that you give this game a good look and a chance.

It has achieved what I think is a great game balance where there are lots of things you want to do (and can do) to destroy/disrupt your opponent, but you have to make difficult choices as to what you can do under the constraints, such as time, # of turns and Chi.

Good luck to Gravitas Board Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.