Subject: The rules said to draw a card... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first rule was "Draw a card" so I did. This was hand drawn with a marker and pencils on both sides of a vellum card:

Not for a project, just a one-off doodle. But I thought you guys would like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Oh, yea. Just casually doodling away. whistle
I do stuff like that all the time. shake
What was that 90s catch phrase?--NOT!

So, if you get the urge to doodle 51 or so more of those and need to get rid of all that doodling, I could save you the tipping fees for all that paper.

Somewhat awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Glass
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I really like the design on the card back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humans on back
lostagegames wrote:

It is hard to find a card back design that is obviously a card, but does not have human image involved. If you look at your own decks at home, you'll find all of them have a person or humanoid creature on the back. I didn't want one on mine. But it still has a definite "cardiness" to it. If you saw the back, you'd expect it to be a regular card.

And it took much longer to draw the back than the front! So there is no chance I'll do 51 more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
lostagegames wrote:

It is hard to find a card back design that is obviously a card, but does not have human image involved. If you look at your own decks at home, you'll find all of them have a person or humanoid creature on the back. I didn't want one on mine. But it still has a definite "cardiness" to it. If you saw the back, you'd expect it to be a regular card.

And it took much longer to draw the back than the front! So there is no chance I'll do 51 more.

Deckbuilders must take such a long time with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is she so sad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
Why is she so sad?

She grew up wanting to be the Queen of Diamonds, but she ended up the Queen of Clubs. That'd make anyone sad.

Seriously: originally she had outlined eyes with no filled color, but she looked a little vacant and lifeless. When I colored her eyes black (she's a black card after all), she did become a little forlorn. I guess I should have tried blue eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
OutOfHabit wrote:
Why is she so sad?

She grew up wanting to be the Queen of Diamonds, but she ended up the Queen of Clubs. That'd make anyone sad.

Seriously: originally she had outlined eyes with no filled color, but she looked a little vacant and lifeless. When I colored her eyes black (she's a black card after all), she did become a little forlorn. I guess I should have tried blue eyes.

I don't read eyes well (meaning: at all). I was just looking at her frown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
Why is she so sad? ... I was just looking at her frown.

If you look carefully, that's supposed to be the top edge of her upper lip. If you imagine a light lower lip somewhat under the line, you'll see she has a rather neutral expression.

The blue line on the left is what is drawn on the queen's face. You can imagine the rest of the lines this way:

Now look at the queen again. With a little imagination, you can get a smile or a frown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
OutOfHabit wrote:
Why is she so sad? ... I was just looking at her frown.

If you look carefully, that's supposed to be the top edge of her upper lip. If you imagine a light lower lip somewhat under the line, you'll see she has a rather neutral expression.

The blue line on the left is what is drawn on the queen's face. You can imagine the rest of the lines this way:

Now look at the queen again. With a little imagination, you can get a smile or a frown.

Cool. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
If you look at your own decks at home, you'll find all of them have a person or humanoid creature on the back.

Off-topic, but I'm curious - is this particular to the cards from a certain company, perhaps? It's not something I've ever observed, the common decks in the UK (e.g. Waddingtons, Top Deck) all have purely geometric designs on the backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
professorguy wrote:
all of them have a person or humanoid creature on the back.

It's not something I've ever observed, ...common decks have purely geometric designs on the backs.

Google images says that only 4 of the top 10 "playing card backs" have animals, and only 2 have humanoids. So I think you are right. But in terms of how many actual cards sold have humanoids, I may still be correct. Bicycle really dominates the american playing card market so most decks sold here have the Bicycle cupids (or whatever those guys are supposed to be).

Anyone have sales figures for playing card publishers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.