Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I don't care for the looks of are the player play cards. They are extremely plain and generally everything is way too big on it.

I suggest you add details of the star players. It would make it much easier for new players and a quick reminder of the veterans.

Just my two-cents worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✅✅✅✅     ✅❌✅✅❌✅ ✅❌✅❌✅✅ ❌❌✅✅❌❌ Next year!
badge
The thing is, the play cards aren't a good location for ability reference. You need the reference somewhere that you can consistently, well, refer to it without tipping details (3rd card down the stack, leftmost on the bench, all discarded, whatever). It definitely doesn't work for reminding your opponent what your abilities are.

I pitched previously that an ability reference card would be a good complement. I've knocked up a template for those, double-sided to handle the primary and alternate rosters, and plan to put them on BGG for PnP and, if Brent is OK with it, on DriveThruCards as a POD solution for people who want it on actual card stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my point of view a ref card and the book is better than tiny writing on the card with rules

I can no longer play magic tcg type games because takes too long with magnifying glass... look up and find my opposition has gone home.. big items on cards is cool for me.

A pdf cheat sheet is better.. i carry rules and ref sheets on a 10 in tablet and use screen mag to be able to read.

Perils of not dying soon enough ... you ccant read the small print and your long time opposition starts dying off.. lazy shirkers! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I might have missed it, but what are the scouting cards that each team gets? Coz I thought maybe they were the reference sheets as you get 2 per team (1 for each coach?). If that is the case I think that works better as you can both easily refer to them during the game rather than having to read your opponent's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
moonrally wrote:
I might have missed it, but what are the scouting cards that each team gets? Coz I thought maybe they were the reference sheets as you get 2 per team (1 for each coach?).
I'm not certain (I don't think I've seen them previewed anywhere), but I believe they list the skill names associated with the relevant players ("44: Blitz") but not the details of those skills ("Blitz: block as part of a move action on defense"). There is then a separate quick reference sheet (Brent's "QRS" in the other thread) that has the skill details for every skill in one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
lomn wrote:
moonrally wrote:
I might have missed it, but what are the scouting cards that each team gets? Coz I thought maybe they were the reference sheets as you get 2 per team (1 for each coach?).
I'm not certain (I don't think I've seen them previewed anywhere), but I believe they list the skill names associated with the relevant players ("44: Blitz") but not the details of those skills ("Blitz: block as part of a move action on defense"). There is then a separate quick reference sheet (Brent's "QRS" in the other thread) that has the skill details for every skill in one place.

Ah that's cool, pretty much what I was hoping for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can concede that it may be too tiny to put full descriptions. But having the spin, catch, juke, etc on them would be convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The scouting cards have the impact, star, and superstar numbers and skills listed on them. There is one for each coach, and these fit nicely under the edge of the playmat behind your end zone or in front of the card stands for reference. The skills aren't on the actual player cards for a reason, but it's something to be revealed at a later date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
There is then a separate quick reference sheet (Brent's "QRS" in the other thread) that has the skill details for every skill in one place.

This is included in the digital download. So everyone that backs the Kickstarter will have access to these as well.

And Stephen, we can definitely do something with these on DriveThru and/or PNP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
moonrally wrote:
I might have missed it, but what are the scouting cards that each team gets? Coz I thought maybe they were the reference sheets as you get 2 per team (1 for each coach?). If that is the case I think that works better as you can both easily refer to them during the game rather than having to read your opponent's card.

This and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aleuhe wrote:
The only thing I don't care for the looks of are the player play cards. They are extremely plain and generally everything is way too big on it.

I can see where they might not be to everyone's tastes, but the faces of the cards are designed to be clean, colorful, and thematic, with an emphasis placed on being functional. The top left hand corner of the card features the pixel player avatar. This is used when finding your player on the bench. The center of the card features the team's helmet. The bottom of the card has the player's name and # in a font and size that can easily be read by the opposing coach at a glance when the cards are flipped over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Brent,

Glad to see you're back after Matthew moved through. Looked like the east coast had it pretty bad (I spent the past few days in the Pensacola area, which was much less dramatic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Brent,

Glad to see you're back after Matthew moved through. Looked like the east coast had it pretty bad (I spent the past few days in the Pensacola area, which was much less dramatic).

Glad to be here! I'm lucky that I have power and internet back. A lot of people here on the coast are still without both, and they are kind of crucial when you're running a Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
The bottom of the card has the player's name and # in a font and size that can easily be read by the opposing coach at a glance when the cards are flipped over.

Hm, great point.

Still would like to see at least the name of what specials they have as a reminder, but I suppose the single digit or doubles (which is just one of many nice nuances you added) could be a good enough reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i like these .. good vis and should be fine even upside down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think key words or symbols would be helpful. However, writing the full rules in text clutters up the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.