Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Apps
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my friend thought that the ability of the Underboss means that you can use "any card" from your hand and/or discard pile to complete a job, meaning, that the type of the card doesn't have to match the necessary types to complete the job. Is this the way it works? I feel like it would be way too powerful if it basically turned every card into a wild...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
mbmbmbmbmb
I had someone with the same issue tonight, pretty much ruined the game as they started an argument

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oli ver
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zacharyapps wrote:
it basically turned every card into a wild...

I agree this card is easily misread. We actually played it the same way as you, thinking it turned all team cards into wilds. Furthermore, we actually got into an argument about if the "any cards" meant not just any type of skill but any number of skills. I managed to sway the reading toward at least keeping the required number of skills, even if cards were wild.

However, I've since changed my mind and think the Underboss ability is much simpler and less crazy overpowered.
Underboss ability wrote:
"You may Complete a Job this turn using any cards in your hand and/or Refresh Area. (The Underboss does not count toward this job."

Now, normally you can only Complete a Job by forming a team from cards in your hand and playing that team into Night One. All I now see the Underboss ability allowing is that a team can be formed from cards in your Refresh Area as well as from cards in your hand.

As far as I can tell, there's no reason to think the Underboss ability does any more than that, like changing the rules about the number and type of skills required to complete a job. Just being able to also draw from the Refresh Areas is a useful effect, even more so if you move cards into the Refresh area with a Femme Fatale or two. Adding on "wild card" effects seems unnecessary and overpowered. This reading also seems more on par with the strength of other card abilities.

If that's right, I think the wording could be clarified by simply dropping the "any"; as in:
Improved wording of Underboss ability wrote:
"You may Complete a Job this turn using any cards in your hand and/or Refresh Area. (The Underboss does not count toward this job."

This change would help emphasise that the Underboss ability is about where you draw cards from, not which cards you can use, to Complete a Job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
mbmbmbmbmb
watergoesred wrote:
Now, normally you can only Complete a Job by forming a team from cards in your hand and playing that team into Night One. All I see the Underboss ability allowing is that a team can be formed from cards in your Refresh Area as well as from cards in your hand.

As far as I can tell, there's no reason to think the Underboss ability does any more than that, like changing the rules about the type of skills required to complete a job.

If that's right, I think the wording could be clarified by simply dropping the "any"; as in:
Improved wording of Underboss ability wrote:

This change would help emphasise that the Underboss ability is about where you draw cards from, not which cards you can use, to Complete a Job.

Yes, i think this is the correct meaning of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.