Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love co-ops for the table talk. I really don't care about quarterback players, because I just explain to those players that we are all playing the game. I think quarterbacking is the gamers' fault, not the game's (though I do think the game should let you feel like you're doing something special).

I say that for context. While I appreciate that the game tries to minimize it, I actually love equitable tabletalk. So my question is, how cooperative is this game?

It seems like the timed phase just has players doing their own things, not really interacting with each other? Is that the case? Do you actually get to talk, do things that help each other out? Or does it devolve to players doing their own things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the opposite to be the case for the timed phase: As the players get a better grip on the rules they interact more and more. In the beginning there is no time for talk, but slowly you begin tibe able to interact more and more.

And it is great fun either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find it very cooperative and there is plenty of talk about the strategy in the upcoming action phase. Also during the action phase there is always talk about moving the aliens or when the dice for events and/or objectives can be spend.
In a session yesterday we had the "recon" objective and we planned a chain to move the objective tiles... it worked and it was awesome
But it is not like pandemic where you can cooperate with the other players to figure out the optimal moves for the next turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, once you get a few basic tactics going, you can start to communicate more in the timed phases. Often, you need to (e.g. don't move this alien yet, bring those aliens this way, so I can shoot them, get over here I need help with this objective, how are we going on the event, and so forth)

But much of the planning is done before the timed phase, it's true - the 2 mins is often the execution of that planning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Yeah, once you get a few basic tactics going, you can start to communicate more in the timed phases. Often, you need to (e.g. don't move this alien yet, bring those aliens this way, so I can shoot them, get over here I need help with this objective, how are we going on the event, and so forth)

But much of the planning is done before the timed phase, it's true - the 2 mins is often the execution of that planning

that...
the 1st 2 games or so were fun but REALLY chaotic. But after that you start planning more which one to move and which one no to.

e.g. in the planning phase, you coordinate: "ok I need to kill these, I can give you a shout when I do, so start pushing stuff towards me"

or

" OMG! I have too much here, try to move aliens someplace else or I`m death".. "YES, my super laser thing kill a whole line, send more of those puppies to me"

"I can kill aliens or the event" "get the event if you can, and we would pray for aliens.. that event is NASTY!"

and so on...

But yes, a LOT of the plan is done BEFORE the timed / action phase.
That said this game has transform in one of my fav fast paced / easy setup game in my collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.