Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emergency Room*: Holds up to one patient from any malady at Illness level 5. When Improved it can hold up to three patients. Patients can never be moved to the Emergency Room with the Transfer Patients Action. It is for emergency cases only. If a patient in the Waiting Room / Triage gets to 5 cubes (exactly, no more or less) during the Ambulance Phase and there is space available in the Emergency Room, they are immediately moved to the first available table there for free.
If a patient in the Emergency Room drops below 5 cubes, it will be immediately transferred back to the empty chair in the Waiting Room / Triage where it came from. At the end of the round all patients in the ER will die.

It is possible to play with the first edition ER by remembering there is only 1 patient allowed in the room, and 3 patients in the advanced room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thematically, how come I cannot automatically transfer a level 5 patient from the ward into the emergency room (if space is available). Why is it only from the Triage?

of course you can say because 'cube/token patient limitations' but that is arbitrary.

surely the emergency room should be a level 5 automatic catch all for the entire hospital, if there are beds free in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GarcianIII wrote:
Thematically, how come I cannot automatically transfer a level 5 patient from the ward into the emergency room (if space is available). Why is it only from the Triage?

of course you can say because 'cube/token patient limitations' but that is arbitrary.

surely the emergency room should be a level 5 automatic catch all for the entire hospital, if there are beds free in there.

At 5 in the wards, they die. I'm guessing that the ER room is right next to the waiting room, whereas wards are in some section, second floor, past the kitchen, next to a broom closet. So, when a patient dies in a ward, it is after all the code blue/red stuff has been attempted, and moving the patient down to the ER would not help things.
Consider the ER an extension of the waiting room, and consider the wards have their own Emergency treatment. Now, consider that when a patient hits 5 cubes in the waiting room they treat this patient with emergency procedures in the ER. Consider a patient at level 5 in a ward, that dies under a doctor's care has had all such attempts of emergency procedures, and still dies. The ward heal attempts include such things without needing a room to show it. The waiting room shows it. Consider a level 5 patient in the ER is better off than a level 5 ward patient, or OR patient. To get an emergency case into the ER is regularly done via the ambulance. Now, after considering all of that, just remember I don't work at a hospital, my brother actually does, and I fear the reality of everything that really happens in a hospital would prove too hard to convey in a board game. Yes, it was thought out, but gameplay wins in the end. It could've been named something different to align that it is only for waiting room patients, but most understand the ER, and might have visited one in their lifetime. And all that above making sense of the wards and rooms, I would disregard as real reasons. I made those assumptions coming from my one time visit to an ER and a lot of TV shows. So take it all with a grain or a full shaker of salt. My brother could've consulted me on everything, but I fear his reality would not make the best game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
thank you, top response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GarcianIII wrote:
thank you, top response

Yeah, I sense that second part might have been condescending, so sorry about that.

Soon, the new rulebook will be posted - I hope we've covered all of the faq sheet and various queries thoroughly in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
You've only been to an ER once, Scott? wow

If you ever need to consult with a very experienced hostpital patient for a future expansion, let me know. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
You've only been to an ER once, Scott? wow

If you ever need to consult with a very experienced hostpital patient for a future expansion, let me know. laugh

I'll keep you in mind. Yes, only once, and relectantly at that. Broke my thumb on a bmx trick (the ropearoni, yes, that is the connection to useername)during a windstorm (bad idea icyww) and didn't think it was that bad until a month later and someone said, "Get it checked!" so, stupidly, I went to the ER that day (Sunday), and a big bill showed up soom after. I was just glad they didn't call the ambulance for me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franck leopold
France
flag msg tools
mb
Scott, may i ask you the reasons, in terms of gameplay, who have led you to modify the number of beds in the ER (i'm very curious about this ...) ?

Thanks !

(also, if you can also explain here the reasons about the changes of the 9th round, that would be great !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SangDragon26 wrote:
Scott, may i ask you the reasons, in terms of gameplay, who have led you to modify the number of beds in the ER (i'm very curious about this ...) ?

Thanks !

(also, if you can also explain here the reasons about the changes of the 9th round, that would be great !)

1. Balance issues through testing. Some things are too good or too weak. Finding the best of both is the goal. With the usage of the room being played differently, other options had to have the right balance.

2. the final round had no tension, just a free vp grab.
a. At one point the ambulance phase was at the end of the round; it still is now sort of, except the first and last rounds. By ending it at the ambulance phase it keeps that tension.
b. Consequences of leaving the waiting room full just because the phase would never happen again makes no thematic sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franck leopold
France
flag msg tools
mb
ropearoni4 wrote:

not the best quality, but this might work until something official is uploaded by vpg.

Now that the Premier Line HHH game is on sale, could VPG upload in the Files section a better quality picture of the two faces of the new E.R room for those who have the first game version and don't want to buy an entire game just for this new card ?

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't quite understand the new Emergency Room. Let's say a patient improves, and has to go back to Triage. Which side does he go to? What if there are already cubes there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leovigild wrote:
I don't quite understand the new Emergency Room. Let's say a patient improves, and has to go back to Triage. Which side does he go to? What if there are already cubes there?

There will always be room, since the patient just came from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've figured it out. I missed the 'patient dies during Housekeeping' line. I thought you could stash a patient in the ER for several turns before treating them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.