First Orchard» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Great introduction to games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashley Smith
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
My 2.5 year old son LOVES this game. We were looking for a game that's meant for younger kids (most age ranges start at 4, or sometimes 3). I had seen this game online, and then when visiting a local toy store, saw that they had it in stock. It was serendipity!

Anyway, we purchased it 3 weeks ago and he requests to play it daily. We had friends over for dinner & game recently, and my son was so excited to share his new game with our friends that he didn't want to eat any dinner.

Things that I love about this game:
- The pieces are well made and durable. (And beautiful!) We had some younger babies try to eat them and then chuck them across the hardwood floor. The fruit pieces still look great.
- My son has really learned his colors now (at least the 4 in the game, haha)
- My son has learned better how to take turns. This has been evident not just in playing games, but also in playing with his friends. He's been so much better at sharing toys with other kids and letting others have turns.
- My son learned how to follow instruction better. He knows to follow the rules (you only take one fruit) and saying the phrase "you need to follow the rules" has been handy in other day to day situations.
- It's easy for a 2 year old to set up and put it away. This is great because this age is all about learning independence.
- The box is square. This is a silly one, but the box fits better with my other games. Candyland and its ilk, not so much.

The only downsides I see are these:
- It's really hard to lose. (I just remove some of the crow path tiles so there's a higher chance of losing.)
- It may not have much longevity, but that would depend on how often you play it and the personality of your child (hard to predict).

We've played this a few other times with other kids (and even other adults, as my son loves to invite people to play it). The oldest we played with was 4 and he loved it as well. He also enjoyed the fact that everyone won. The only issue he had is that he loved the color blue and got mad every time someone rolled it.

We got this game as an introduction to games for our son, and it's fit the bill perfectly. Granted, there are plenty of other games that would probably fulfill the same purpose, but I loved the style and simplicity of this one. This is mostly a PSA for playing games with your kids; I didn't realize how much of a positive influence it would be on my son. He loves the one on one time with his parents. We're excited to invest in more child games. (specifically Hiss, and Animal upon Animal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same game and taught it to my 2 year old granddaughter. She loved it except for the fact that she was scared of the raven. Everytime she rolled a raven, she would manually flip the die to show a different face. (Do I see some early cheating here??)

She is now 2 1/2 years old and has no more problems with the raven. I think it's because she loves Go Away Monster!. After a few games of this she was no longer frighten by the monsters so I think that has helped her in the first game.

One game you should absolutely try out with your little one is Haba's Hanna Honeybee. The mechanics on this one is completely different other than rolling a huge six-sided die. In this one, you pretend that you are a honeybee pollinating a flower and then miraculously watch your flower full of pollen transform into a honey drop! It's magic for a 2 year old!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same great experience with my three-year old : learning to take a turn to play, and understand which action the die allows. He also learned to dislike the raven.

The coop aspect helps a lot to avoid sore looser' tantrums.

This game is very efficient at what it sets out to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this for my grandson on his third birthday. I love that the rules are simple enough that he can explain them to other people. It was interesting the first play, when I realized that reading a die is something that has to be taught--he at first was reading the face closest to him rather than the top. A logical approach when at a table and you are small.

His face whenever the Raven moved though was priceless--he was so distraught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reilly
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Just played the today with my 2.5 year old and so far so good. He is on the autism spectrum, so I chose very carefully what game to introduce him to. We just started out with the concept of matching the fruit in groups, and will hopefully get the turn taking and die rolling aspects in the future. Beautiful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.