$30.00
$20.00
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game enough times have you ever felt one or more of the events are incorrectly associated with the Op points they are connected to? If so which ones?

I'm probably not experienced enough yet but I don't see what the big deal is with NATO. I'm not afraid as USSR to play it and I always think it's a waste as the US to not use the OPs instead of the event. So I'd say NATO is one that shouldn't be on a 4 Ops card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The value of the events should not be linked to the OPs value, and they aren't. Some very good events are 1 OP, and some very rarely useful events are 4 OPs. That is as it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Linking the value of events to their ops value is most relevant to the neutral cards, for which players always have a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
That is as it should be.

Could you elaborate on that? I tend to agree with the OP. It seems to me that if the value of the event is not linked at all to the OPS, then there is less 'tension' as to how to spend the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do you think the value of the events are accurately associated wnith the Operations points on their card?
Special Relationship makes a big difference to the value of NATO. With NATO in effect that card becomes a tough one for the Soviet to play.

There's a subtle interaction with the space race as well. And then there's the fact that the strength of certain events, like CIA or Lone Gunman, is tied to their OP value.

I would say that this is a unique aspect of TS. Balance between OPS and events is only one of the factors determining a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making OPs value more correlated with card strength will greatly reduce importance of events, and will make hand management much easier, which is I think bad think - I like the feeling that you fight not only against your opponent, but also against your own bad draw sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making OPs value more correlated with event stregth could greatly increase 'tough decision making'.

For example, Nuclear Test Ban is an automatic play for 4 Ops rather than the event; there is no decision making involved. Conversely, Decolonisation is an automatic play of the event OR spacing rather than used for Ops. If the Ops value on these cards were reversed, it might make players think twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will make some decisions harder, but hand management easier: instead of trying to choose the lesser evil, we would try to find the greater good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had assumed the strength of the event was associated with the Op points. You find this to be true of most deck builder games so perhaps that's where my assumption came from.

Are people saying the designers randomly associated the Op points with the events? Or was there some thought put in to it, and what was that thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
Are people saying the designers randomly associated the Op points with the events? Or was there some thought put in to it, and what was that thought?

OP value has a lot more going on than simply the strength of the associated event. For example, it is very important whether or not the card can ordinarily be used in the space race. 1 OP cards quite frequently have powerful events, so when you draw your opponent's powerful 1 OP cards it is considerably more difficult to dispose of them "safely". Likewise, they are nearly all one-off events, so even if you draw your own you may have to weigh carefully the benefit of using it now for a weak AR or using for the event but losing it from the deck. If the consideration was merely that OP strength be tied to event strength, these dynamics would be lost.

As other people have pointed out, only the neutral events might possibly have benefited from tying OPs to event value, but even then I don't find the argument very compelling. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with having a very niche event on a 4 OP card like NTB or a very strong event on a 2 OP card like Junta.

As mihaild pointed out, it's about hand management, not individual card use, and that makes for a more interesting game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eruantalon _
msg tools
mb
It is linked, but in a not-trivial way.

There are some 4 ops cards, that are supposed to be played for ops (Flower Power, NATO, NTB, Comecon).

Some events have 1 op, so you almost never can space them and need to hold/suffer consequences (Saddat, Allende, OPA, most notably CIA/LG).

Some have less ops, than their do damage, so you don't play them, unless in dire need (or region is lost anyway) Lib Theoloby, Decol Reformer etc.

And finally only some are created to match their event strength (and also balance ops for both superpower) - this is quite a long list, from Camp Davis, through Bear Trap, Brush War, Norad, up to Willy Brandt/ Yuri and Samantha).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
It's also about play balance. I'm sure when they were developing the game they had an overall plan of the number of points for each war deck and had to divide them amongst the events the best they could based on game play feel (event or ops) and game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One should realize that usually your sides card is stronger for you the less OPs it has. So for example if Decol would be 4OPs, it would be easier to play it as US and immediately repair it. Similarly Muslim Revolutions would be worse for US, if it would have less OPs.

Now 1989 (game very similar to TS) has communists in stronger position than USSR is in early TS game. However some of the strongest events are democrats 1OPs. So commie player has hard time dodging those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.