6 Posts

Concordia: Gallia / Corsica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crossing the Channel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for Gallia say, "The dashed brown land line between BONONIA and LONDINIUM may be used by land colonists to cross the English Channel. It counts for 1 movement step as usual, but any colonist using that line must immediately move past it using remaining movement steps. The dashed line itself is never occupied by a colonist."

Does this mean that one cannot move a land colonist onto that dashed line with one's last movement step of a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
The rules for Gallia say, "The dashed brown land line between BONONIA and LONDINIUM may be used by land colonists to cross the English Channel. It counts for 1 movement step as usual, but any colonist using that line must immediately move past it using remaining movement steps. The dashed line itself is never occupied by a colonist."

Does this mean that one cannot move a land colonist onto that dashed line with one's last movement step of a turn?
I believe so. In effect you must have a minimum of 2 movement to cross the channel: 1 to move onto the channel crossing and one to move beyond Londinium to the next connecting line. In effect, Bononia and Londinium are the same location, but it costs 2 movement to pass through that node on the map instead of the usual 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

That's certainly how I understand it.

What are you thinking would happen if you could move a land colonist onto that dashed line with the last movement step of a turn? (The colonist stops there on the water? The colonist gets to move for free onto a land line? The game ends in a draw due to exploding in a puff of logic?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that nothing else really makes sense.

But it does seem like a limitation that the rules might have called out explicitly.

I suppose that a less likely alternative would be the force you to end with your colonist directly on the city on the far side.

That would prevent you from getting any farther than you would have (had you ended your turn on the Channel itself) - but it's at odds with the general principle that, once they have moved, colonists can be only on links, never on cities.

I wonder why this rule exists. The most natural explanation is that the Channel is a choke point, and the designer didn't want players to be able to block it (to the extent that one can block in Concordia).

I think that that concern might have been addressed by saying that a land colonist can end its turn on the Channel - even if there is another colonist there. I suppose that that might have led to other issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
I agree that nothing else really makes sense.

But it does seem like a limitation that the rules might have called out explicitly.

I suppose that a less likely alternative would be the force you to end with your colonist directly on the city on the far side.

That would prevent you from getting any farther than you would have (had you ended your turn on the Channel itself) - but it's at odds with the general principle that, once they have moved, colonists can be only on links, never on cities.

I wonder why this rule exists. The most natural explanation is that the Channel is a choke point, and the designer didn't want players to be able to block it (to the extent that one can block in Concordia).

I think that that concern might have been addressed by saying that a land colonist can end its turn on the Channel - even if there is another colonist there. I suppose that that might have led to other issues.
I think it's (a) to force you to spend a minimum of 2 movement to cross the Channel and (b) to prevent anyone from blocking the route into Britain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
gillum wrote:

I think it's (a) to force you to spend a minimum of 2 movement to cross the Channel and (b) to prevent anyone from blocking the route into Britain.

I still think that (b) seems more likely.

It doesn't really cost more movement to cross the Channel in this way.

A sea colonist on the blue link between Lutetia and Juliobona (Seine) can move to the blue link between Londinium and Branodunum using three movement steps.

A land colonist can follow parallel brown links that match the blue links exactly (assuming that the sea colonist went through Londinium and not through Branodunum) also using three movement steps.

The difference is that, if only two movement steps are available, a sea colonist can stop along the way at the blue link between Bononia and Londinium, while a land colonist cannot stop on the parallel brown link.

I agree that a land colonist does indeed need two movement steps at the point that it crosses the Channel - but I think that this is more likely a consequence of the rule than its motivation.

But this is just my speculation - and I don't think that knowing the original motivation is that important (unless one is designing ones own expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.