Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally picked up MK and have played the tutorial once with 3 players at a convention and once solo.

Now I've picked up LL and before I mix everything together, I'm wondering if I should hold off until I've introduced my regular group to the game and we've played one or two sessions before adding the expansion. They are moderate-core gamers... they enjoy Descent and games of that weight, so I know they'll pick MK up. But does LL add much actual complexity or length to the base game?

Is it better to learn without it first? Or does it not really matter?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it depends on which scenario you want to play - if you want to play against Volkare then there's no reason to wait. The complexity is not increased that much with the LL expansion.

In any case, remember to put in the corrected cards that come with the LL expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend not playing with Volkare until you have played the base game a number of times and got used to the "basic" rules.

I've heard of a lot of negative play experiences from people mixing LL in with new players - it might be ok for some, but it is not for many others. The game is already complex and heavy, sometimes that extra bit can be counterproductive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback!

I was thinking to start I'd just mix in the LL tokens and new hero cards, but stick to the basic scenarios for a while. But I haven't looked closely at those yet, so I'll have to figure out if they introduce new complexity on their own, first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
id still leave the tokens out. You already have a ton of things to learn, and a LOT of people make a LOT of rules mistakes in their first few games.
Adding a TON more rules for cumbersome, multiple attacks, etc... They are great once you are comfortable with the game, but for most people, too much when learning.

I just want you to have a good experience and I've seen this go wrong many times. Plus, I know about these things as I've played the game a lot, taught the game a lot, and I designed the last two expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.