10 Posts

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Legendary Discovery and different destinations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Faire
msg tools
mb
We were playing with all expansions the other day and came across the Legendary Discovery card while traveling to Earth. Does this card get included in the crisis deck while traveling to other destinations such as Earth, IN, and NC? And if it does, does pass effect still happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Faire
msg tools
mb
Thanks for quick reply, but I have looked at the rules and errata and could not find the rules for this, so would you mind citing me the rules or the errata/faq that confirm this?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniperchief1991 wrote:
Thanks for quick reply, but I have looked at the rules and errata and could not find the rules for this, so would you mind citing me the rules or the errata/faq that confirm this?

Thank you!

Can you point to the rule/errata that removes it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Faire
msg tools
mb
Does the word "Kobol" mean anything then for the card or is it just basically one distance no matter where you go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The card was in the base set, when Kobol was the only destination and expansions weren't even dreamed up.

None of the expansions explicitly removed the card (unless you can find such a reference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniperchief1991 wrote:
Does the word "Kobol" mean anything then for the card or is it just basically one distance no matter where you go?

From UFAQ:
Quote:
Q: Can "Legendary Discovery" trigger the New Caprica phase if it takes you to distance 7? If so, what happens to ships that were on the board at the time? (thread)
A: (Corey, FFG, by way of DCAnderson): If you are at distance 6 and pass Legendary Discovery, remove all civilian ship from space areas and place them in the locked pile at New Caprica. All other ships remain on the board. Reset the jump track. When Galactica returns to orbit, set up the Battle of New Caprica, but do not remove any ships from the board. The current player chooses where to place ships if there are not enough left in the reserves.

Based on that we can assume it also applies to other destinations, whether the destination merits jump track reset, can be discussed. I would say it's not reset at either Crossroads or Earth, since New Caprica is a different thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Faire
msg tools
mb
Alright cool thanks and you make a good point, we barely have this card come up and that ^ is something I took into account when thinking of what to do with the card. Thanks for the clarification, will include it in all games from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniperchief1991 wrote:
Alright cool thanks and you make a good point, we barely have this card come up and that ^ is something I took into account when thinking of what to do with the card. Thanks for the clarification, will include it in all games from now on.

Some of the talks here say when there's a rules ambiguity, apply the rules literally. This is one of those cases where that doesn't quite work out. Others include phrases where he can only apply to male characters, and "roll a die" doesn't have to be the d8 that was included in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth considering that the base game rules say that Destination cards are "placed faceup next to the Kobol Objective Card", and I can't, on a quick look, find anything in the Daybreak rules to change that except the instruction that "the Earth Objective Card replaces the Kobol Objective Card" (though distance Missions are explicitly placed next to the Earth Objective Card after the next Jump).

In other words, the same issue applies to Destinations, not just to Legendary Discovery, so either you're happy replacing all rules-text references to Kobol with Earth, or you should be facing a worse problem than just Legendary Discovery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.