New Angeles» Forums » News

Subject: Collaborate / Manipulate (new FFG article) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a new FFG article is up, regarding, well, collaboration and manipulation

https://drafts.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/7/coll...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Lacza
Hungary
Ballószög
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm eagerly waiting for the Android - The Miniatures Game or Android - The Dungeon Crawler Game....whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokarege wrote:
And I'm eagerly waiting for the Android - The Miniatures Game or Android - The Dungeon Crawler Game....whistle

Are you making some point or just being smug for it's own sake?

I for one think this game looks promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokarege wrote:

I mean, personally, I'm all for more Android games. I think the Android setting is really amazing and I'm very happy New Angeles responds to that setting more than Mainframe did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Lacza
Hungary
Ballószög
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
rokarege wrote:

I'm also waiting for New Angeles, I love the Android setting (although it will be really hard to get it to the table, because of the min 4 players), but looking at the figures, I think sooner or later we'll see a miniatures game (be it a MOM, IA, Descent type game or a 2 player minis game).
And I also think that an Android RPG is on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokarege wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
rokarege wrote:

I'm also waiting for New Angeles, I love the Android setting (although it will be really hard to get it to the table, because of the min 4 players), but looking at the figures, I think sooner or later we'll see a miniatures game (be it a MOM, IA, Descent type game or a 2 player minis game).
And I also think that an Android RPG is on the way.

Ahh ok, I was confused, because that emoji is usually used to indicate sarcasm or disingenuousness.

I'm not certain we'll see any sort of miniatures game or dungeon crawler. The setting doesn't really lend to those that well. The elements represented by miniatures in New Angeles are very tertiary to the major Android setting themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Lacza
Hungary
Ballószög
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The setting doesn't really lend to those that well

Have You seen Human Interface: Nakamura Tower or Aetherium?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The seminal cyberpunk story Neuromancer was, at its core, a heist movie. Sneaking and stealing and power imbalance are key tropes to almost every cyberpunk story. Shadowrunner is basically a heist story generator, right?

An Ocean's 11 style heist in the form of a dungeon-crawler would be really interesting. Infiltration is heist-themed but it's more competitive than cooperative, and it's out of print now (I think). A grid-based heist game that uses line-of-sight rules and a runner manipulating the environment sounds intriguing.

FFG came out with the World of Android setting book, which reads a lot like White Wolf's splatbooks for Vampire and Werewolf and such - lots of story, very few rules. I'd love to see an Android RPG but every time I suggest it people just say "oh you mean Cyberpunk 2020" or "like Shadowrun." Yeah, but I'm not a huge fan of faeries and dragons in my cyberpunk....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokarege wrote:
Quote:
The setting doesn't really lend to those that well

Have You seen Human Interface: Nakamura Tower or Aetherium?

No, I hadn't. But then again, both games have fewer than 20 ratings, so I'm not surprised.

Aetherium looks like it's turning the theme of Android: Netrunner into a skirmish miniatures game. Time will tell whether or not it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
The seminal cyberpunk story Neuromancer was, at its core, a heist movie. Sneaking and stealing and power imbalance are key tropes to almost every cyberpunk story. Shadowrunner is basically a heist story generator, right?

An Ocean's 11 style heist in the form of a dungeon-crawler would be really interesting. Infiltration is heist-themed but it's more competitive than cooperative, and it's out of print now (I think). A grid-based heist game that uses line-of-sight rules and a runner manipulating the environment sounds intriguing.

FFG came out with the World of Android setting book, which reads a lot like White Wolf's splatbooks for Vampire and Werewolf and such - lots of story, very few rules. I'd love to see an Android RPG but every time I suggest it people just say "oh you mean Cyberpunk 2020" or "like Shadowrun." Yeah, but I'm not a huge fan of faeries and dragons in my cyberpunk....

Oh, for sure. But in the Android world, all of the stealing is done in virtual reality. Which is more challenging to recreate in miniatures/grid format. Not impossible, of course. I just said that it doesn't innately lend itself to that genre without serious difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it possible for 4 of the 5 players to "win" the game? That seems lame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KirovThug wrote:

It's possible, but very unlikely, as the initial rival shuffle and final scores have to end up exactly right:

Scorewise, from top to bottom:
#1 Player A has Player B as a rival or drew their own corp (beat 3 players).
#2 Player B has Player C as a rival or drew their own corp (beat 3 players).
#3 Player C has Player D as a rival.
#4 Player D has Player E as a rival.
#5 Player E is the Federalist.

If any one of those rival card or rankings is out of order it will ruin the combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
KirovThug wrote:

It's possible, but very unlikely, as the initial rival shuffle and final scores have to end up exactly right:

Scorewise, from top to bottom:
#1 Player A has Player B as a rival or drew their own corp (beat 3 players).
#2 Player B has Player C as a rival or drew their own corp (beat 3 players).
#3 Player C has Player D as a rival.
#4 Player D has Player E as a rival.
#5 Player E is the Federalist.

If any one of those rival card or rankings is out of order it will ruin the combo.

I don't think it's that unlikely, since all throughout the game 4 of the 5 players are happy with the current situation and prefer to keep it that way.
On the other hand, I don't find it lame at all - I find it awesome.

(by the way, player E can also have player A as a rival)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And even if you accomplish your card you can still claim you are the biggest corporation of them all, so there's still a ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.