The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: What to buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have noticed that a number of the expansion packs for this game also have a nightmare deck expansion as well. Have looked around the internet and found that they are mostly alternatives to the original expansions with new information etc.

My First question is, when buying 'a cycle expansion' or a standalone expansion should these nightmare decks be purchased as well as the original decks? Also can a nightmare deck be used instead of an original deck or would I be missing too much information?

Next question, Once the core set is purchased can the games and cycles be played in any order (I imagine each deck inside a cycle needs to be played in order) but as for the others could they or does each cycle run historically after the other?

Final question, I've also noticed that the series contains titles such as Cthulhu and Game of Thrones and can these two be played solitaire or are they really only two players or more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Raider wrote:
I have noticed that a number of the expansion packs for this game also have a nightmare deck expansion as well. Have looked around the internet and found that they are mostly alternatives to the original expansions with new information etc.

My First question is, when buying 'a cycle expansion' or a standalone expansion should these nightmare decks be purchased as well as the original decks? Also can a nightmare deck be used instead of an original deck or would I be missing too much information?

Next question, Once the core set is purchased can the games and cycles be played in any order (I imagine each deck inside a cycle needs to be played in order) but as for the others could they or does each cycle run historically after the other?

Final question, I've also noticed that the series contains titles such as Cthulhu and Game of Thrones and can these two be played solitaire or are they really only two players or more?

1) Nightmare decks can't be used instead of the original decks, because they don't contain most of the needed cards. Nightmare decks are used in addition to the original decks - if you're playing nightmare, you remove some of the easier cards from the deck and add the entire nightmare deck in.

2) I wouldn't recommend purchasing nightmare decks right away unless you're an experienced player with a large card pool.

3) Cycles can be played in any order. Scenarios within a cycle should probably be played in order to make sure you get the most out of the story, but there is nothing rules-wise preventing you from playing in any order

4) Call of Cthulhu and Game of Thrones LCGs are competitive games and require two players (or more for GoT; I don't know if Cthulhu has a multiplayer mode). Cthulhu also has an unofficial solo variant here on BGG, but I've never tried it. I don't know if Thrones has one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the info especially concerning the nightmare decks and will check out the Cthulhu solo rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Lovecraft/ Cthulhu fix solo, check out the new Arkham Horror card game from FFG released later this month, I think your find it hits the spot for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's not exactly the same thing (there's no real deck building), the Warhammer Quest: ACG is another solo card game from FFG. That said, given the GW/FFG relationship is now over, it's probably never going to get any new releases aside from the two character packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.