Hide
12 Posts

7 Wonders Duel» Forums » Rules

Subject: why I should put a card under a wonder card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Qian
msg tools
Why I should put a building card under a wonder card instead of just throwing it away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is another decision for you when building a wonder: the building you use will not go on the discard pile, so it will not be available for the rest of the game. (FYI: There is at least one wonder card that allows you to build a building from the discard pile.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I guess you've already decided to build the wonder, and you know that you're doing that instead of building a card, you just don't see the significance of putting a card under it instead of just chucking the card.

If I'm right about that, then what you're missing is that the card doesn't go entirely under the wonder - it juts out a bit and acts as a marker to show that you've built the wonder and can therefore benefit from whatever it gives you for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Just to be accurate: you can benefit from whatever the wonder gives you. The building under the wonder is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Qian
msg tools
Thank you so much for you answer.

I have a few thoughts.

1. This is relatively a "big game". To ban a card from the game may not have direct and clear effect as resources can be collected in many other ways.

2. The reply under yours is rather clever. The card may be used to show that this wonder has been built, but the only deficiency is that, since the back of building cards are different, it may give a kind of hint that wonders built in different ages are different. For a perfectionism, this makes me uneasy.

Anyway, this is a grate reply thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Qian
msg tools
Your understanding is totally right and thanks for your patience to understand my bad English! I come from China.

The reply above you also give a good point that the card is actually banned from the game though I think this will not affect the game too much.

The deficiency, which is rather subtle though, of your point is that since the back of building cards are different, it may give a kind of hint that wonders built in different ages are different. For a perfectionism, this makes me uneasy.

Anyway, this is a grate reply thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... There's still something about this game that you don't quite understand, I think. It doesn't matter that the backs are different - that will just show when the wonder was completed, which your opponent already knows, because he/she was there when you completed it. No other information is given away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickqian wrote:
Why I should put a building card under a wonder card instead of just throwing it away?

Why not?
How is it somehow even a minor bother to indicate a wonder's status this way.
(Metaphorically, You are indicating that you have spent some sort of massive "cultural/economic" effort to build some profound, ornate, mound of stones or other. So perhaps its it is metaphorically intended to be a tad silly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Qian
msg tools
ok!

And I found that there are some buildings that you can't build because it's too expansive but your opponent can build it for free. In this way you can remove it from the game.

Is there any way your opponent can build a building that you discarded? By discard, I mean you discard the building and exchange for some money from bank. If your opponent can't, the reason I mentioned in 1st paragraph is weakened because you also can ban the card by discarding them. However, you still can build something at the expense of nothing and not sacrificing a good opportunity to build something.

I hope this makes sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Qian
msg tools
This is a innovative answer. A metaphorical rule. Sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nickqian wrote:
ok!

And I found that there are some buildings that you can't build because it's too expansive but your opponent can build it for free. In this way you can remove it from the game.

Is there any way your opponent can build a building that you discarded? By discard, I mean you discard the building and exchange for some money from bank. If your opponent can't, the reason I mentioned in 1st paragraph is weakened because you also can ban the card by discarding them. However, you still can build something at the expense of nothing and not sacrificing a good opportunity to build something.

I hope this makes sense

There is a wonder that lets you build a card from the discard. But they can't use a card under one of your wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right. Only buildings that are discarded for money or that are destroyed go to the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.