Subject: NVA Rally & Trail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
mb
Can the NVA during train op select one space, train, raise the trail value and then select additional spaces using the new added trail bonus within the same train op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Faanes
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, NVA must first place guerillas, then raise trail. It is not super-clear from the rules, but this is my understanding and I think it makes sense this way as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ejnro wrote:
No, NVA must first place guerillas, then raise trail. It is not super-clear from the rules, but this is my understanding and I think it makes sense this way as well.

Correct.

As for rules clarity, "then" in the COIN rules always means "once you've finished with the previous parts of the rule". In the 3.3.1 Rally rule this means that NVA has to finish placing Bases and/or Guerrillas before improving the Trail; similarly in the 3.2.1 Train rule it means that the Training Faction has to finish placing cubes/SF before it executes Civic Action (Govt or US), places a Govt Base (Govt), or transfers Patronage to ARVN Resources (US).

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinette
United States
West Point
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If NVA bot Rallies, and improves the Trail, does the increased Trail value apply to a subsequent Infiltrate at two bases?

(specific situation: at start of long game, NVA can't attack or ambush, so rallies at 3 bases in Laos and Cambodia, adding one ea guerrilla to each of the three bases, and spending two resources to upgrade the Trail (to one from zero, after previous degrading due to Airstrikes).

The bot then can Infiltrate at two of those bases, which would seem to add two troops if Trail upgrade included, or only one at each base if the Trail upgrade only applies in subsequent NVA turns.

(Additionally, the bot will convert one guerrilla at each base to a troop, to leave two guerrillas per base, per 8.6.4.)

Seems like it would apply to the Infiltrate, and you'd wind up with four guerrillas at one base, and four troops (two infiltrated, and two converted guerrillas) and two guerrillas at the other two bases at turn end. Is that right?

Thanks!
J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhrobin2 wrote:
If NVA bot Rallies, and improves the Trail, does the increased Trail value apply to a subsequent Infiltrate at two bases?

Yes, since the bot finishes the Rally Op (which includes the Trail improvement) before beginning Infiltrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinette
United States
West Point
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx, that's what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.