Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good games for lightly intellectually disabled? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BGG!

My son has a light mental disability. His major problem is math, logic and that kind of reasoning. He can still learn and discuss other things and he enjoys computer games. He is 13 years old and in some aspects very similar to most young teenagers. We are swedish but he understands at least basic English.

I like eurogames and would like to find some games we could both enjoy and that do not feel like children's games but more real board games.

I suppose something with luck rather than strategy, but still with some decisions to make. Maybe purely luck and simple tactics? Probably space or fantasy themed but anything could be of interest.

Are there any good games like this?

Thanks!
/Peter
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was Celtica, but it is quite old.
Maybe you could find a (second-hand) copy somewhere...

EDIT: there are some copies on the GeekMarket and eBay, apparently.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks really nice! As you say it seems hard to get though.
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said no children's games, but have you considered dexterity or speed-based games? (No idea how tht works with his disability, but maybe worth suggesting.)

For dexterity, there's the new Junk Art, which I haven't played but which looks fantastic, and for speed, how about Jungle Speed? (I would have said Ghost Blitz, but that involves logic.)

Otherwise, what about cooperative games? FUSE? (No idea if the real-time aspect would work for you, but it can easily be made slower by extending the time.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hi there

I've looked high and low for games like this to play with my younger daughter as I'm not really not good at pretending to enjoy myself with the young kids games lol. I know quite a few that feel like playing a more proper game but with enough simple rules with added luck to make it fair. What kind of games does he play already so I can guage what he can cope with and I'll be able to suggest a few that might work
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Otherwise, what about cooperative games?


My thought as well… with a co-op you could help out with reasoning, and perhaps it could even work to train his logic and reasoning?

Perhaps you could find something that involves a lot of things to do or decide that are not directly tied to math and logic, so there are plenty of things for him to be actively involved in, and then you can take care of the things he has trouble with in the beginning, and try involving him in those parts as well as you go along.

I mostly play games with a lot of logic and strategy, and not so much luck, so I don't have a whole lot of suitable games on the top of my mind, but I'll keep this thread in mind, and try to come up with some more suggestions…

Maybe storytelling games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that learning a lot of small rules will be hard?

Galaxy Trucker can be a bit of a chore to teach, but once you're playing, all the rules feel intuitive.

There are two main phases to Galaxy Trucker. First, you build a space ship as fast as possible out of a pile of components spread out in the middle of the table. Not only do the pieces need to properly fit together (per their connection points and rules about what can be next to each other), but you also have a choice as to how much of each type of thing to put on your ship. Do you want a lot of blaster canons? Engines? Batteries? And so forth. Building things is fun, so even if some of the finer points of strategy are lost, it's still just fun to do.

The second phase is flying your ship through space and flipping over cards that cause different events to happen. Your ship can become damaged by meteors, or taken over by pirates, or you may encounter planets where you pick up cargo worth valuable points, and so on. You have to have a good sense of humor, because it's possible that you'll lose large parts of your ship in space! There is strategy, but also a lot of luck, which mitigates the sadness of losing part of your ship. Hopefully it's just funny.

Technically, the third phase would be counting up all your points at the end of the round.

There's also a lot of flexibility in GT. You can play as many rounds as you want. You can build a small ship or a big one. You could play real time or take turns. You could make the events you encounter easier or harder.

So, while learning the rules might be a challenge, the pay off may be worth it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Ticket to Ride. If you haven't played that with him already, play so that each player has one route card at a time, or maybe 2 routes with the ticket face up so you can give him suggestions?

Another good game is Las Vegas. All you have to do on your turn is place a die or dice. Even if you aren't playing optimally or logically, you might still manage to win a casino or two by luck.

By the same token, Coloretto is good too. You may not make the best choice of where to put a card or whether to take a row, but you will probably always at least take some cards that will help you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Walker
United States
Bolingbroke
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitchcar
I think everyone can enjoy this game, and the difficulty is very tunable.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I know you said no children's games, but have you considered dexterity or speed-based games? (No idea how tht works with his disability, but maybe worth suggesting.)

For dexterity, there's the new Junk Art, which I haven't played but which looks fantastic, and for speed, how about Jungle Speed? (I would have said Ghost Blitz, but that involves logic.)

Otherwise, what about cooperative games? FUSE? (No idea if the real-time aspect would work for you, but it can easily be made slower by extending the time.)


I'll look into those games! Dexterity games sounds like a good idea, I haven't tried any of those.
Thank you!
/Peter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Hi there

I've looked high and low for games like this to play with my younger daughter as I'm not really not good at pretending to enjoy myself with the young kids games lol. I know quite a few that feel like playing a more proper game but with enough simple rules with added luck to make it fair. What kind of games does he play already so I can guage what he can cope with and I'll be able to suggest a few that might work


Sounds you may have some good ideas. That's exactly why I'm asking, because I need to like the games myself

He hasn't played much at all. I hope to tempt him with more exciting looking games. We have played castle panic, coop, but I think he gets controlled too much. He doesn't really know what to do.

I'd be interested in any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

/Peter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Gswp wrote:
Otherwise, what about cooperative games?


My thought as well… with a co-op you could help out with reasoning, and perhaps it could even work to train his logic and reasoning?

Perhaps you could find something that involves a lot of things to do or decide that are not directly tied to math and logic, so there are plenty of things for him to be actively involved in, and then you can take care of the things he has trouble with in the beginning, and try involving him in those parts as well as you go along.

I mostly play games with a lot of logic and strategy, and not so much luck, so I don't have a whole lot of suitable games on the top of my mind, but I'll keep this thread in mind, and try to come up with some more suggestions…

Maybe storytelling games?

"Other things to do or decide" is precisely what I'm thinking about but I can't think of any game with interesting or fun things to do that aren't hard
/Peter
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LKOsiliconMage wrote:
Pitchcar
I think everyone can enjoy this game, and the difficulty is very tunable.


I'll look at that. Thanks!
/Peter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You say your son likes computer games, can you share what kind of games he likes? It could give a better idea of his interests/abilities.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:
Galaxy Trucker can be a bit of a chore to teach, but once you're playing, all the rules feel intuitive.


I have GT actually and I even think he has played it once. I will try that again with him. Thanks for the tip!
/Peter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
You say your son likes computer games, can you share what kind of games he likes? It could give a better idea of his interests/abilities.

He plays Minecraft a lot. Other games include clash royal (I think) and the whole Lego series. He's actually quite good at those (at least that's my impression) so as long as decisions are "visible" or clear he can handle it. I think maybe competing with others and have to think fast scares him.
He has no problem at all playing fast paced games as long as they are not puzzles or strategic.
/Peter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
Come see us at http://meeplelikeus.co.uk
badge
Persistently controversial. The bad boy of board games.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find this page useful - I've been investigating board game accessibility as part of Meeple Like Us:

http://tinyurl.com/meeplelikeus

There's a geeklist too:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208515/meeple-us-accessib...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkos wrote:
You might find this page useful - I've been investigating board game accessibility as part of Meeple Like Us:

http://tinyurl.com/meeplelikeus

There's a geeklist too:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208515/meeple-us-accessib...


Interesting! I'll look at that! And I'll read the reviews in the list. Interesting to read the accessibility thoughts even for games that might be too complicated for him, at least for now.


Thanks!

/Peter
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
How well does your son handle bad luck?

I ask because I have a son who has autism spectrum disorder and high luck games are not something I will play with him. The reason is that, if he has good luck he loves the game and wants to keep playing it, but if he has bad luck he gets mad at the game, and sometimes the other players who are luckier than him. I think this stems from him not being able to control or understand the luck aspect of the game.

I have found that games with limited or obvious choices work better for him and the other people playing than games with high luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) with intellectually disabled people.
They had a good time. It's fantasy theme too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo could be a good option too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
How well does your son handle bad luck?

I ask because I have a son who has autism spectrum disorder and high luck games are not something I will play with him. The reason is that, if he has good luck he loves the game and wants to keep playing it, but if he has bad luck he gets mad at the game, and sometimes the other players who are luckier than him. I think this stems from him not being able to control or understand the luck aspect of the game.

I have found that games with limited or obvious choices work better for him and the other people playing than games with high luck.


Hmm, that's interesting. I think my son has the same problem with luck... I didn't think about that when suggesting luck games.

Do you know any games with little luck and interesting and/or obvious choices? If there is such a game that may something he could like.

/Peter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nyquist
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
I played Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) with intellectually disabled people.
They had a good time. It's fantasy theme too.


You know I've looked at that game several times and wondered if it could be something for him. Maybe I'll give it a try. I also played it when I was about the same age and liked it.
Thanks!/Peter
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Okay, I will include the luck issue in what I suggest but I'm still a little confused over what type of level you're looking for. I saw that you had carcassone and mission red planet in your list of games - is this the kind of thing/level or have you not yet tried these with him and they're for you and you need something a little simpler?

I don't want to write a whole heap/list and essay so trying to narrow it down lol!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
pnyq wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:
How well does your son handle bad luck?

I ask because I have a son who has autism spectrum disorder and high luck games are not something I will play with him. The reason is that, if he has good luck he loves the game and wants to keep playing it, but if he has bad luck he gets mad at the game, and sometimes the other players who are luckier than him. I think this stems from him not being able to control or understand the luck aspect of the game.

I have found that games with limited or obvious choices work better for him and the other people playing than games with high luck.


Hmm, that's interesting. I think my son has the same problem with luck... I didn't think about that when suggesting luck games.

Do you know any games with little luck and interesting and/or obvious choices? If there is such a game that may something he could like.

/Peter


If your son is anything like my son, he is more likely to be visually stimulated by a game over anything else. I would suggest games that have a strong visual appeal with interesting pieces. Sometimes just getting to play with those pieces is enough to make my son enjoy the game even if he wasn't winning.

I'm hesitant to recommend a specific game since kids like ours have a unique perspective as to what draws them in. I think Ticket to Ride is probably a good place to start or maybe try a light abstract game like Blokus, Ingenious, or Kamisado.

EDIT: Do you think he would be able to handle a game like Small World. My son is a huge fan of fantasy and he loves that game.




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.