$20.00
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[Cross-posted to the Gaming with Children forum]

Almost two years ago, when we were toilet training our son Sam, we had a 'board game' where he advanced a rocket along a path with every trip to the loo. It was called Journey to a Distant Sun, and it went like this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1270022/journey-distant-sun...

He's now five, and it's now time for the sequel, Starbase for a Distant Sun...

Having survived Earth's demise a generation ago, the colonists who reached the Distant Sun now need to build a starbase from which they can launch missions to explore their new solar system. That means a whole lot of trips up into space with starbase bits, and every trip into space means a whole lot of things have to all go right.

Every job Sam has to do is represented by an essential mission task necessary to launch a rocket, and each time he does one he gets to transfer the yellow task marker from the blue board onto the rocket. If he does them all in a day, he gets to put a starbase component into orbit, and each time he completes a starbase module he wins a prize.

He can get bonus components by completing 'black ops missions' (waking up to go the toilet in the night and/or waking up with dry nighttime pants). So far I've just made the first module, split into three bits. I figured that I'd probably get at least three days to build the next one, so of course Sam just woke up shortly after 11pm to do his first ever night-time wee. I may have to accelerate my starbase module drawing schedule.

There is a separate track for 'navigation' - which starts off full each day and gets knocked down for any naughty behaviour. As if drops, he loses videos, tablet time, pudding or even indoor sleeping (not really).

We are cautiously optimistic that this will work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
You know, in space, Oxygen is very important. If you could add a task to control his 'gaseous disposals' to minimum and keep his Module unit fresh and clean from Methane poisoning, it would be better for the rest of the crew and his social behaviors.

In short: hold a fart - place a part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that I have spent far too much time laughing at his farts and telling him that he smells like a badger has crawled up his bum and then died. He would never accept the idea that I wanted him to hold them in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, and I should hqve asked this in the other thread too:

How do you maintain the tracking on the board over days and weeks?

I'm imagining that this is printed onto full sheet stickers/labels and the applied to a magnetic sheet... both the board and the tiles. The you'd keep it on the fridge sidewall or on a big magnet board.

By the way, my youngest son turns 3 soon. So I may be adopting your potty training game. He's a big fan of Transformers Rescue Bots; so we might do a "Trip to Cybertron" theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.