Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my game groups needs to advertise regularly to replace people who move and such but we occasionally get people that drive lots of other people away.

Sometimes it's something you can talk to them about like being really rude and negative.

Sometimes it's something out of their control like being unable to understand how to play games (we play word and party games in this group, so it's not like the rules are hard).

What have your groups done in this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unmarked graves and lots of quicklime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Re: How to deal with problematic people in public game group
jadzia_dax wrote:
One of my game groups needs to advertise regularly to replace people who move and such but we occasionally get people that drive lots of other people away.

Sometimes it's something you can talk to them about like being really rude and negative.

Sometimes it's something out of their control like being unable to understand how to play games (we play word and party games in this group, so it's not like the rules are hard).

What have your groups done in this situation?

The easiest to deal with is the rude or negative people, either talk or make them walk.

The second I think you just have to be paitient, you should be happy they are giving it a go, especially when they obviously have difficulty learning the games. Maybe get them a day before and take time to teach it them personally and help them learn, Im sure theyll appriciate the extra time spent on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second case, I am referring to people where patience doesn't work, they really can not get turn structure and keep the game moving along. 20 min fillers turn into 2 hour games as they have to be reminded what to do each turn (for example in a simple card game, they have to be reminded after every round that they must play a new card now).

Nobody in the group cares if people play poorly or need a bit more explanation, but when it is disruptive to the point where games can't really be played, people started leaving in droves.

The group didn't want to be rude to the person as the problems seemed to be organic in nature, but we don't really want a person coming that causes 5 to 15 people to leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to open gaming groups, you really only have three choices regarding the people you dislike (solutions Tony Soprano might employ notwithstanding):

(1) Stay and accept them
(2) Stay and avoid them
(3) Don't stay

I've opted for (2) and (3) in regard to the groups in my area. Personally, I have no interest in gaming for the sake of gaming. I need to play with fun people or not play at all. I have the most fun at private gaming sessions I organize. These days that accounts for about half of my gaming. I wish it were more.

Open groups are a roll of the dice. I've ended up in games with cool people. I've ended up in games with annoying people. It's about 50-50.

Hmmm, I could say more but I had better leave it at that as there are many gamers in my area who frequent BGG, hee hee. Love you all! Of course, if you're reading this, you're in the good 50!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hudson
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is tough. Finding gamers isn’t easy so I tend to tolerate rudeness longer than I would outside of gaming.

But there is a limit. The organizer of a local game group moved to Texas and leadership devolved to a group of wargamers. I’m a sometime wargamer but these guys are rude and ultra-competitive. For example, after I showed a 12-year old how to play Reef Encounter, one of them asked me, “Did you win? Did you win? Did you win?” Jeez.

And if that isn’t enough, they often arrive at game sessions directly from the pub. Ruins it for many of us.

The members of the other group I play with all suffer from AP. Individually each would be the slowest gamer I’ve ever played. But they are civilized grownups and I prefer them to the wargamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
november wrote:
This is tough. Finding gamers isn’t easy so I tend to tolerate rudeness longer than I would outside of gaming.

The reason it isn't easy is because of the rudeness. But I sympathize.

Sometimes I wish there was a "fair play" document that outlines the kind of behavior generally considered fun and acceptable. These wouldn't be rules, but if someone is being too great a dork you could refer them to the appropriate section describing the social behavior that might chase off "fun" gamers.

If someone is causing problems, how wrong would it be to not allow them into a game? "We'd like to let you in, but that's not the kind of game experience we'd like right now."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.