A Distant Plain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can the NP Government execute NGO event without resources? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yancey Larochelle-Williams
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So, the government has 3 resources, but needs to pay 6 for the event. Can they take it or are they forced to pass? Can they take any event that they cannot afford?

I'm pretty sure that they pass, but I can't figure out how the rules enforce that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean card 59 Local Truce? If the Govt does not have 6 resources then he cannot fulfil the conditions of the event, so he would have to conduction operations or pass instead. The only rule I can find is 3.1 "the paying Faction must have enough Resourses to pay for the Operation". As to events there is 5.1 "When a Faction executes an Event, it carries out the Event text literally"' which means you transfer six resources, not three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
They can take it. This is an example of "5.1.3 If even per the above not all of an executed Event’s text can
be carried out, implement that which can." Even though the Government can't pay the 6, they still pay the 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
2ème
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
They can take it. This is an example of "5.1.3 If even per the above not all of an executed Event’s text can
be carried out, implement that which can." Even though the Government can't pay the 6, they still pay the 3.

I've always taken 5.1.3 to mean that the qualifying conditions to take the event must be met although the employment/execution of the event could be restricted in differing situations that would not allow the full effects of the event to be carried out.

I'm not saying I'm correct, just that that is my understanding of the rule. To vary the qualifying conditions as you choose might get a little messy in my opinion. I think there is a difference between the capability to affect an event and its' subsequent employment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SeanFR wrote:
Turbine2k5 wrote:

I've always taken 5.1.3 to mean that the qualifying conditions to take the event must be met although the employment/execution of the event could be restricted in differing situations that would not allow the full effects of the event to be carried out.

This is correct, but in this case the "transfer 6 Resources" part isn't phrased as a qualifying condition so it is covered by 5.1.3.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.