Subject: Letters from Japan Game 05: The Blind Eye of Justice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once more my wife requested to play Letters from Whitechapel and I was thrilled. The fact that she requests to have a game session is rare (less so now that I have this game) so I couldn't be happier to hear those words.

However, she was a little sad as we set up saying that she hasn't won a single game since my big screw up on our first game together. My wife may not be a gamer but she is extremely competitive, coming from a strong sports background. She said she wanted to be Jack again as she finds it a lot more fun and easier to keep track of.

Dramatis Personae

Jack the Ripper - (The Missus)

Investigators - (me)

Hideout: Location 24

Night One: Hell

Head of the Investigation: n107
A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 27
Time of the Crime: Space I

We set up and The Missus said she wasn't going to wait: she wanted to kill right away. So without further ado, the Wretched on Location 27 was killed and Jack was off into the night.

Night One: Hunting

As the criminal was on the run, I moved the police to try to find which route The Missus had taken to escape. I wasn't having much luck for a few rounds but I finally stumbled across a clue on Location 79, so I knew she headed south from the kill.

Unfortunately, as the turn marker moved to Space 6, Jack announced that he was home and the night was over.

Wow! Yet again as Jack my wife was extremely elusive. If she kept this up, I wouldn't stand a chance--barring another Night Three screw up.

Night Two: Hell

A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 143
Time of the Crime: Space II

This time Jack decided to wait a turn before the kill. I moved the Wretched pawns a bit closer to the nearest police but on Space II The Missus announced she was going for the kill. The Wretched I had moved from Location 158 met her end in a gruesome fashion.

Night Two: Hunting

Starting her kill in the middle of the map didn't help me narrow down which direction her hideout was in but I could be fairly sure it was to the west of the kill. Again I sent the investigators out to drag the net over the area and yet again I was having trouble finding any clues.

Finally I started to get a lead around Location 123. Ok, so I know she is west of the kill. But from there, where? Luckily I also stumbled across a clue at Location 98. Aha! So she's heading up north as well. Could she be in the central western portion? I wondered...

I brought all the police into that area as I tried (mostly) unsuccessfully to find more clues. I did manage to pick up her trail at Location 62 before The Missus announced that Jack had, again, made it home.

Damn she's a slippery one! But now I had a better clue of where her home was and it must be in the western section. Maybe north-western. I had to focus on that area if I stood any chance of winning.

Night Three: Hell

A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Locations 21/3

Here we go, the Double Event; the night that has witnessed both my wife and myself fall instantaneously due to poor planning. The Missus wasn't going to wait this time, she was going straight for the kill. She took out the Wretched on Locations 3 and 21, both out of range of my police. It wasn't going to be an instant game over this time.

Night Three: Hunting

As the police get to move first this time, I made the most of starting all of my pawns towards the western half. Perhaps Jack was at Location 21 but I didn't believe it; she was at Location 3. She had to be. She wouldn't risk being that far away from her home on Night Three.

I got a few police pawns up into the north-west corner and to the south under Location 3. I searched but found no clues yet, meaning she she hadn't come down those roads.

Then, to my astonishment, at Space 4 on the turn track, The Missus said she was home.

Night Three was over. Immediately. And not in the way that it usually ends immediately.

It was a risky maneuver for her to get home so early and now I KNEW she was in the north-west corner. I might not have found her trail, but I knew where she didn't go, which was just as useful. I counted the spots from the crime scene, knowing she only moved four spaces. I was certain her home was one of either Location 24, 25, 44, 43 or 59. I had just one more chance to get her.

Night Four: Hell

A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 149

Here we go, the final night. And The Missus was ready to end it. She was not going to risk waiting and have the Wretched moved out of her range so she made the kill instantly. She opted for the pawn on Location 149, just as I'd have expected. She was going to try charging in and I had to stop her.

Night Four: Hunting

Jack started off by using his only Carriage for the night. Ok, he is rushing in. Unless I was way off in my calculations, he was still nowhere near home.

As I knew that her home was up in the top corner somewhere, I had my police start nearby. Immediately I began to close in on that section of the board. Jack then used his Alley, so I started to think he might have already bypassed me but I wasn't sure. I finally managed to place a net around the north-western edge of the board.

It was then that I noticed that The Missus had used up all of her special movement tokens for the night. So if she wasn't already behind my lines (unlikely) or her home wasn't in a completely different area, I pretty much had her blocked.

I stepped out for one turn with Donald Swanson to try for a spontaneous arrest at Location 96, but nothing. Still, maybe it would keep Jack on his toes that I might jump out with arrests before closing back in on my drag net.

I had Sir Charles Warren between Location 1 and 7, George Lusk between Locations 6, 24 and 25, Edmund Reid to the west of Location 27 combined with Frederich Abberline to the west of Location 46 to deny access to Location 44 while Donald Swanson stood watch between Locations 59 and 60 ensuring that nobody could get into that corner of the board.

And nobody could.

As the turns passed by with random calls for arrests or clues, Jack never announced that he reached home. If his hideout was anywhere but the area I was guarding, he would have escaped by now. I finally found one at Location 26 assuring me that Jack was trying to find a way in. And he couldn't do it. He had no special movement tokens remaining so he had no choice but to keep running from point to point in hopes of finding an opportunity.

It was then that I realized I had won. I had capitalized on all the clues (both physical and otherwise) that The Missus had given me over the past few rounds and I utilized them to form a strategy that assured me victory. This is what I was hoping playing the police would be like and it was thrilling.

And that was when I made a strategic decision. I moved Sir Charles Warren two spaces to the west, putting him north of Location 24.

The next turn I moved George Lusk one step to the spot between Locations 7 and 26. I called for an arrest but Jack wasn't there, as I had surmised.

On the next turn, The Missus said that Jack had reached home.

---

Final Thoughts:

I had Jack right where I wanted him. I knew my victory was absolute... which is why I didn't feel bad in opening up a window and letting The Missus slip in to her home. I figured it was a tactical move as my wife was already feeling down about not being able to win and a boost to her morale would help ensure a boost to her desire to keep playing games with me. If she does play more games with me, that's a win in my book.

I'll never tell her that I purposefully made that move to allow her the victory but seeing her happy in successfully escaping when all hope seemed lost was worth it. I thought I could just feel proud in knowing that I accurately judged where her hideout was a dragged the net around it to ensure a victory.

Until I looked at her movement sheet and realized that I hadn't.

Oh no! On Night Three, when she made her quick escape, I had counted all the possible locations her home could be after moving four spaces from the kill. But she didn't move four spaces; she only moved three! The first kill was Location 21 so it did not count for how long it took her to get home. With that realization, I saw that her home could have been Locations 6, 7 or 26 as well. While I thought I was closing off all of the opportunities for her to get home, I was mistaken and, on a few occasions, had left some holes in my net that could have caused a loss, if her home was in one of those unaccounted locations.

Thank goodness my original thought was correct because I would have hated to lose thinking I so cleverly had her hideout sealed off. Yet another learning experience from this great game.
---

WIN RECORD:

Jack the Ripper - 2

n107 (1)
The Missus (1)

Police - 3

n107 (2)
The Missus (1)

---

Ripper Case File

Game 00: One Night Only
Game 01: Til Deaths
Game 02: The Tables are Turned!
Game 03: The Man on the Street
Game 04: Catch Me If You Can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for writing these - they do a good job of showing how tense LfW can be and it's interesting to see the strategy and meta-game developing between the two of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Thanks for writing these - they do a good job of showing how tense LfW can be and it's interesting to see the strategy and meta-game developing between the two of you.

Thank you for your comment. It's nice to know that others are reading and appreciating the reports.

I like having this record to look back on after some time passes to relive the fun moments, not to mention getting advice/corrections from other BGGers. And if anything I write can help inspire someone to play a game or get back into it, that's an added bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're certainly making me want to get LfW out again
I'll look out for the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
They're certainly making me want to get LfW out again
I'll look out for the next one.

I hope to see a session report from you in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving these logs.
I got LfW last week and I've already played 6 games so far. Most of them being me VS my girlfriend and I can totally relate to your logs.
It's amazing how tense this game can be when you're playing as Jack and how frustrating it can get when you're playing as the Detectives.
I noticed, though, that both my and my girlfriend's strategies have been changing and evolving with each playthrough. We're slowly adopting new strategies and ways to try and counter eachother. Each game is getting more and more fun.
Keep posting these! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.