Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the only two places I know of. Perhaps there may be some wargaming sites somewhere that might mention them, but sadly I doubt there is anything that would give you anything more than what we get here or the FB page.

LBG aren't the best at communication (understatement), so there will only be a little info trickling out here and there by them. The only things we get directly from them it seems, is when they are about to release something via Kickstarter or more recently Sergeants Hell on Wheels. Or when they do their summer convention tour, they may make a few comments. Otherwise, it's only the community here that does anything to promote the game system.

Had they gotten Sergeants Hell on Wheels out back in the summer, there would be a good bit more discussion and promotion here. Sadly the long delay has put them on the backburner for some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Captain, if you can find some people that are into historical gaming, perhaps you can teach them the game and at least have some people to play with, even if they aren't going to buy into it. That's what I have to do, I supply the game and I have some people that will play on occasion when I set up a session. It's an expensive system to get into, so unless you can find someone that really loves it when you teach them and they have a good bit of spending money, then it's hard to find others with the game system.

Part of the problem with not getting much chatter about the game system, is that there are constant delays. Things that have been discussed years ago haven't even come to fruition. The Kickstarters were delayed (not unusual for KS, though), but with SHOW delayed to likely 6 months late, it puts all the hot new discussion on hold for that long or longer, because when it does finally arrive, some people may be involved in other things and aren't going to drop everything for a late arrival of a few vehicles.

I for one have gotten into another tabletop miniatures game called Halo Ground Command. 1/100 scale minis from the Halo video game universe that will be played like other miniature wargames, with many units to fight with as well as vehicles and air support. I've been spending a bit of time painting them up and have the Coventent forces done from the base set and just have to do the UNSC. I also have some new releases on pre-order and will continue as long as they have monthly (slightly delayed) expansion releases, and as long as my wallet holds up. But the point is, that I will have time and money invested in this system, so when SHOW finally does arrive, I will be into actually getting Halo Ground Command to the table. I'm also getting the Gloomhaven kickstarter around December, and I've been looking forward to that for a year, as it's an awesome campaign system with 70+ scenarios. I'm also starting a campaign for Seafall on Monday night. There will likely be 12-15 three hour sessions of that over the next year. So while I used to be very active in session reports and forums for SMG before, I won't really have the time to get as involved when SHOW finally does arrive.

Another thing about SMG that keeps it from being chatted about all that much is that it's a niche game within a niche genre. Don't get me wrong, I love the game immensely, but it's super niche. It's very expensive, and there is no hobby aspect to it. Everything comes pre-painted, which is why I got into it instead of Flames of War several years ago when I was looking for a WWII tabletop game. But with that, you lose a lot of chat worthiness, because many hobbyists into miniature gaming, love to discuss the painting and basing aspects of the system, as well as the terrain they make or buy to decorate their gaming table with. There is none of that with SMG. Halo Ground Command is only a couple months old, yet there is a vibrant FB page for it, with people sharing painting schemes and terrain ideas etc. The game has been hard to come by, as there were some production delays, so that's part of why there is virtually nothing here about it, but give it a few months and I bet that will change. There is also a very vibrant FB page for Marvel Universe Miniatures Game, with the same stuff that Halo FB page has. Sure both are licensed lines, but they are still niche products, and WII is practically a licensed line of it's own since it's so popular.

Other issues that come to mind is that now there is a new tank game that is similar to X-Wing and is in 15mm scale. Sure you have to put them together and paint them, but they are still inexpensive and seems like a simple enough rules system. There is also Bolt Action that I believe has 28mm figures and is more on the squad level. Again, you have to assemble and paint minis and vehicles, but it's not on the massive scale of 100's of soldiers.

So there are other things that are competing with the WWII minis genre, and I bet there would be a lot more chatter going on about those right now than SMG. Sadly, it is what it is. If the company isn't going to help promote their own product, then it's not going to gain the momentum to bring about much discussion.

Three years ago I demoed SMG at a small historical convention in the north suburbs of Chicago. I couldn't the following year as it conflicted with a convention I was going to demo games for in Milwaukee. Last February I demoed The Great War at a local convention in Valparaiso IN called Arcticon. It was the first time I went and wanted to get a feel for it before demoing SMG, as there are minis games there. Had I gotten SHOW in the summer, I would have learned it enough and likely not gotten into Halo Ground Command, and would have signed up to demo it at Arcticon. But obviously it didn't happen. So that was a lost opportunity to get some exposure for SMG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also get insight into SMG by rolling the bones of a sacrificed chicken...when the moon is full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
I also get insight into SMG by rolling the bones of a sacrificed chicken...when the moon is full.

I'll post any news as I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer1701d wrote:

What is the best way to keep up to date with all news announcements regarding SMG please?

I subscribe to the SMG forums here on BGG and I have liked the Lost Battalion Games Facebook page. Do you have any other sources that you monitor for news relating to this wonderful gaming system?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Don't expect any type of support from LBG beyond on rare occasion pushing out additional, overpriced product. I wasted a lot of money buying into a system that LBG will eventually abandon in favor of something else they won't support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, bitter.

I've experienced the delays as everyone has, but I've also experienced good customer service from LBG when I've contacted them.

I have no idea what is going on at LBG but they are a small shop. They used to have a community support person, but that person left. They definitely need another one.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are a small shop, but seem to be diversifying and lacking time to focus on SMG. Perhaps there are personal issues we don't know about.

The problem is that Jeff B. tends to get ahead of himself and talk about things to come, but overreaches with those plans and they either never happen or are very delayed.

I'm looking forward to the vehicles I ordered way back when, as well as the rules that will come with them. That should spark some renewed interest for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, I agree that LBG could communicate more often but Jeff M has been tslking about the work being done on SHOW here at BGG. I know I appreciate his updates.

Yes, they do have a lot of irons in the fire but as a business I can understand that. I don't think having only SMG and SDD in your store would allow for them to survive very long. Not unless everyone keeps buying the same sets over and over.

I can't see getting upset saying the items are overpriced, since the prices would be known before you bought the items. And to say that they won't support the system seems a bit odd. What else don't they support? As far as I know, it is the only system they currently have out and it is being supported. It might not be timely but it is supported.

Certainly not everything envisioned has come out yet. I remember Jeff B talking about terrain and buildings at the first Historicon where they introduced the game. It took s few years to get that out and longer to get updated rules.

I'm not ready to give up on them. I love the game and enjoy playing it and hopefully will for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.