Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of STAW over the last few years and have had many good and a few bad experiences. I was curious about the experiences others have had with the game. It doesn't have to be a big win, but it can be. It can also be a great teaching experience (you teaching or being taught) or a great group or a great scenario or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that comes to my mind for best experience is winning the Domionion War OP6 event with ...

...wait for it...

...TRIBBLES.

I had a 2-ship Federation/Independent 100-point fleet. Independent Flagship made my Excelsior dual-faction for Khan (GenCon) and Cyrano Jones (venue was faction-pure), and my other ship was the Ent-D with JLP.

Turns one and two, JLP moves along the starting edge towards DS9 and drops off some cheap crew on turn two to take control of the station, lowering the Ent-D's shields. Khan then moves up behind and beams a tribble over to the Ent-D.

That's how I started every match that day. Common strategy for most people in the event was to ignore the station and just duke it out on the other side of the map, so my maneuver caught most people by surprise.

I stayed close to the station, dumping excess tribbles on it when I couldn't dump them on enemy ships.

In my final match, I dumped nearly all of my tribbles from both of my ships onto my opponent's Hideki Fighters (resource version. This was before they were available as a retail ship.) and blew them to bits.

I had so much fun at this event. Whenever I was about to dump a boatload of tribbles onto an opponent's ship, I would do my Ricardo Montalban impression and say things like, "I grow fatigued of these...tribbles." I also replaced my tribble tokens with little fuzzy poms I bought at a local craft store, so my table was actually covered with what looked like miniature tribbles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
Similar to my best for the collective OP 2. I'm reposting this since I'm on mobile and too lazy to type it all out again:

Bajoran interceptor swarm. I bought 4 of them and was looking for a good time to try them. Saw this event and thought it might work. Put together the following build:

Interceptor 5 [Interceptor] (16)
Flagship: Independent (Klingon) [DomWarPP4] (10)
Kira Nerys [Akorem] (3)
Cyrano Jones [Gr''oth] (3)
Total (32)

Bajoran Interceptor [Interceptor] (16)
Bajoran Captain [Interceptor] (0)
Total (16)

Hazar [Interceptor] (4)
Blockade [Akorem] (5)
Total (25)

Bajoran Captain [Interceptor] (0)
Total (16)

Fleet total: 89

Generated by Space Dock for iOS
http://spacedockapp.org

I figured I'd try to do as much damage as possible and with no shields on everyone, Tribbles were a fun choice. I flew then in tight formation along one side of the cube and then kept repeating it by using the come about until everything died on my end.

Kira was the vital component. Giving out 4 free target locks to me fleet let everyone take battlestations on their own. Most ships did 4-5 damage (3 hits and a crit was very common on 4 dice). Do that 5 times (had the Jem'hadar ship with torpedoes for 6 damage each turn as well) and you rack up the damage, especially with the 5 free coordination damage.

Nothing was wrong with the build (went 3-0) but I did make some mistakes in flying. Forgot about interceptor 5's ability one turn when Kira hit a debris token (lost a turn of target locks which hurt), and the first game I kept the first tribble on Kira so she spent the first two turns distributing fuzzy goodness instead if target locks. The rest of the time I tossed then to the generic ones and had them on tribble duty. After that it was pretty much go in guns blazing. With 8-9 ships on the table most games, it took a while for things to start dying. My interceptors were rolling 4 defense dice against 5 attack dice so it took 2-3 shots to kill any. Once the Tribbles became too numerous, I beamed them to the Borg ship (your cuteness will be part of the collective) which gave them -1 attack on most of my fleet by the time I got to range 1.

I did 91 damage my first game (the one I messed up on and kept Tribbles on Kira, missed the battle point by 2 damage), 131! My second game (got 40 more than my opponent), and 121 the third game (squeaked ahead of my opponent who was trying to use Weyoun and conditional surrender on his last ship. He was taking turns in like 45 seconds to try and make up the difference. Thankfully he hit a rock before he could beat me and the Borg slaughtered him with one shot).

It was a great build that was right up my alley (unused ships with a fun hook) and a great scenario. First time anyone in my group had seen interceptors and tribbles being used and they completely owned the scenario. It was a blast because nobody expected it to do well (me especially) but it was the best build I'd seen out of two different OPs. Plus, icing on the cake, it was faction pure.

Worst?

The entire Resistance is futile event. Boring mess of rules that glorified the The borg during a time when they were already dominating, on top of blind ships that sucked. It brought the death of my gaming group for attack wing and I haven't been to an OP since. It jut dried up something fierce after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
i really havnt had a bab experience..then again i just play vs my self and my dad cause no one around were i live plays it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emery Freeman
msg tools
I only started like, two weeks ago, and I've had mostly good play experiences. The best one was finally beating my brothers Borg cube with a Bajoran scout ship (something I did to prove to him that the ratosha is a decent ship)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.