Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Helms
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation from a game last night:

A player with an Outlaw ship wants to move into Osiris, where the Alliance Cruiser is parked. Luckily for him, he has a Cry Baby on board. However, there is also 1 Alliance alert token in that sector.

So in what order do these things get resolved?

What we did:

1) Alliance Contact event (since it says immediately, we figured that should be first). Player used his Cry Baby to move Cruiser one sector instead.

2) Alert token. He did not roll a 1, so nothing happened.

3) Nav card (Big Black, so nothing)

4) Player uses his second action to do a Crime job and win the game.

I don't recall coming across a circumstance of having a contact event and alert token in the same sector before, and didn't see anything in the FAQs about that situation. Is there anyone that would have handled it differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there is any clear indication on whether the Alert Tokens or the Contact Event is to be resolved first (though it is clear that the nav card is not drawn until after both).

On the one hand, your interpretation makes sense, since the Alliance contact event takes effect immediately.

But this creates a possible scenario where you move into the sector with the Cruiser, lure it away with the Crybaby, but then fail the alert roll, and the cruiser comes right back. Though thematically, I suppose this could be explained by Captain Harken making a tactical decision to pursue the Outlaws he just spotted instead of responding to the distress signal (falsely generated by the crybaby coffee can).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find anything explicit in the rules either, but looks to me like you called it right as the IFAQ does provide detail on what happens when an Outlaw ship enters the same Sector as the Alliance Cruiser and deploys their Cry Baby. It states "Alliance Contact is resolved immediately" (and therefore first), with Nav Cards after. It follows that the Alert tokens which are resolved before Nav Cards are drawn, but not necessarily immediately, would be between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you roll for the Alert Token first, because if you are in Alliance Space with the Cruiser sitting on top of you, you can get the Corvette on top of you too if you roll a 1 (otherwise this would never be possible and it clearly is contemplated given the Corvette may enter any Sector on the map in Alliance, Border or Rim Space).

Then you can use your Cry Baby, but that would leave the Corvette to take one of your Wanted Crew and your Fugitives.

While the rules are a bit unclear this approach makes the most sense in my mind.

The idea of Alert Tokens as per the Blue Sun rules is that they represent a higher level of Reaver or Alliance activity within a Sector. Also in the Kalidasa rules under the heading "Resloving Alliance Alert Tokens" on page 6 the wording flows along the lines of:

1 - Deal with Alliance Alert Tokens;
2 - Move Alliance Ships if you trigger an Alliance Alert Token;
3 - At this point Players may use Crew/Gear/Ship Upgrades/Drive Cores* to move themselves or the Alliance Cruiser as applicable;
4 - Resolve Alliance Contact if an Alliance Ship is in your Sector and you are an Outlaw Ship;
5 - If you are not an Outlaw Ship (or if you are an Outlaw Ship and only the Alliance Cruiser was in your Sector and you moved it out with a Cry Baby), draw a Nav Card.

The above also makes sense when no Alliance Ships are in the Sector you just entered but it has an Alliance Alert Token. The sequence would be:

1 - Deal with Alliance Alert Tokens;
2 - Move Alliance Ships if you trigger an Alliance Alert Token;
3 - At this point Players may use Crew/Gear/Ship Upgrades/Drive Cores* to move themselves or the Alliance Cruiser as applicable;
4 - Resolve Alliance Contact if an Alliance Ship is in your Sector and you are an Outlaw Ship;
5 - If you are not an Outlaw Ship (or if you are an Outlaw Ship and only the Alliance Cruiser was in your Sector and you moved it out with a Cry Baby), draw a Nav Card.

*Note if you Evaded into another Sector at Step 3 (e.g. you used the Drive Core from Meridian) then you don't draw a Nav Card and your Fly Action is over. However, if you evaded into a Sector with an Alliance Ship or an Alliance Alert Token, you will have to resolve those in the normal way.

In other words this always results in a consistent approach no matter whether there is already an Alliance Ship or not when you Full Burn or Mosey into a Sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Helms
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
I think you roll for the Alert Token first, because if you are in Alliance Space with the Cruiser sitting on top of you, you can get the Corvette on top of you too if you roll a 1 (otherwise this would never be possible and it clearly is contemplated given the Corvette may enter any Sector on the map in Alliance, Border or Rim Space).

I am not following the line of reasoning here. First of all, although I have never seen it happen in actual play, there is nothing preventing the Cruiser and the Corvette being moved into the same sector as the result of navigation cards. And secondly, I don't see how that addresses the issue of which event should have priority.

I mean, I guess I see the appeal in wanting to have a unified checklist approach. But in this case, it seems like since the Contact Events can affect you when it isn't your turn, maybe that should be the first thing that happens when you enter a sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt h wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:

I am not following the line of reasoning here. First of all, although I have never seen it happen in actual play, there is nothing preventing the Cruiser and the Corvette being moved into the same sector as the result of navigation cards. And secondly, I don't see how that addresses the issue of which event should have priority.

I mean, I guess I see the appeal in wanting to have a unified checklist approach. But in this case, it seems like since the Contact Events can affect you when it isn't your turn, maybe that should be the first thing that happens when you enter a sector.
Remember that the phasing player is the player t hat is affected first by any Alert Tokens. Any other Ships in the same Sector are affected after phasing player has decided what they want to do (if they have options).

Also, if the Phasing player evades out using the Meridian Drive Core for example, then in your interpretation the Alert Token never gets rolled for to bring the Corvette to the Sector if the Alliance Cruiser was already in the Sector. That isn't the way the game Mechanic works as that will result in these two Alliance Ships never being able to be in the same Sector if one of them is in an Alliance Space Sector with an Alert Token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Helms
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was not accounting for the Whisper Drive (or whatever it is called). I can see where you are coming from now.

Are there any cards that let you avoid Alliance ships somehow other than Cry Babys and the Whisper Drive? Electronic Defense Suite only works on Reavers, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
matt h wrote:
Are there any cards that let you avoid Alliance ships somehow other than Cry Babys and the Whisper Drive? Electronic Defense Suite only works on Reavers, I believe.

There's the Decoy Nav Sat Cluster that comes with Jetwash. Also the Long-Range Scanner Array which comes with Blue Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.