14 Posts

Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: Possible to observe a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
qwerty qwerty
msg tools
Hello!

I was wondering if it would be possible to observe a game. I've played once or twice before a long time ago, and remember how awesome the game is but unfortunately don't remember a lot of the rules.

I'm happy just to watch and follow with the rulebook, or if people want to talk about their strategy/rules during the game it would be very much appreciated also.

I'm EST but let me know if you have a game set up and I'll see if i can make it!

Thanks! (feel free to PM)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dietrich
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to observe as well. Played some solo but not sure if I'm getting all the rules right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill did one of their "Series Replay" articles in The General on the game when it was first published. It was in volume 21, issue 1, which happily is available on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/GeneralMagazineVol21i1

The article begins on page 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that not knowing the cards your opponent holds is a key part of the game. This makes it very hard for players to describe the tactics & strategies they using at that moment.

To pick a game with a similar problem, Poker didn't hit it big on TV until the hole card camera was developed. Pre HC-cams, poker on TV was deadly dull--the commentators were in as much in the dark as the players and not much better off than the viewers. Is he bluffing, looking for a draw, or does he think he have the best hand? Is he laying down a bluff, a hand he suspect was beaten, or did he lay down the winning hand? Obviously the players can't talk about this during the hand.

Up Front has the same problem. For example--if I have a Fire card that will become useful if my opponent advances, I cannot comment on that fact during the game. That's just one example of many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
qwerty qwerty
msg tools
hmm i see your point, however if you recorded a game in which you played against an opponent you can describe what you're thinking, ie,
"I don't know what my opponent has, but this fire card is really strong and I want to wait until he's in range, so I'll hold it for now, discard this other card..." etc.

Also just from a rules standpoint if someone narrated a game and just explained how they resolved all their turns in a game it would probably be a pretty comprehensive intro for most people who might know some basics but maybe have issues with more complicated rules without examples.

I've been keeping the mod open and hanging out in the room (although I'll try to do a better job of saying when I'm away!) it was really helpful even to watch a game without seeing either player's hand from a rules point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's a GENERAL magazine link I've found very useful.

http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen

Reading all the UF articles/replays in 21.1, 22.2, 25.6, and 26.5 will provide some great insight to play.

Also, check the UF home page Community Wiki where all the GENERAL UF articles are described. That plus this link should get you well entrenched (no action cost to discard for Russians ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
attritusxe21 wrote:
hmm i see your point, however if you recorded a game in which you played against an opponent you can describe what you're thinking, ie,
"I don't know what my opponent has, but this fire card is really strong and I want to wait until he's in range, so I'll hold it for now, discard this other card..." etc.

It's easy say tyhat, but a lot more difficult to actually do.

Quote:
Also just from a rules standpoint if someone narrated a game and just explained how they resolved all their turns in a game it would probably be a pretty comprehensive intro for most people who might know some basics but maybe have issues with more complicated rules without examples.

One suggestion is the series of Powerpoint tutorial files by Thanasis Loridas which can be found at http://webuf.eu/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
qwerty qwerty
msg tools
I was able to briefly look at the powerpoints and they look very promising from a rules/example perspective! Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come join us on Facebook for many files and new scenarios.https://www.facebook.com/groups/460948767438860/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play just about everyday on Vassal. You are welcome to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be on Vassal as well, send me a geek mail. I've played a "few" times and always am willing to teach or walk through the game with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you observe a game played on Vassal, you can log on as "solitaire player". Then you will be able to see both players' hands.

Vassal also gives you the opportunity to run separate chat windows with each player. So you can ask them questions without the other one being able to see it.

Of course this demands that one or both players accept to spend time chatting with you during a game. It will slow down the game significantly. So not all players may be interested in this.

You will get a good deal of Insight just by observing the players' hands, though.

Vassal is a beautiful system!

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
I could be on Vassal as well, send me a geek mail. I've played a "few" times and always am willing to teach or walk through the game with new players.

Yes, just a few times, mind you!whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Anyone willing to play through the opening scenario or two with me sometime in the first week after the new year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.