GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,731 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: Java Client with WoMe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone knows if the Java client might get updated with WoMe content?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible, as it was the basis for a playtester version (although using an older version).

Having said that:
Battle of five armies is first and it has been quite some time since that was released. I am simply not as enthusiastic as I used to be on development, but I will try and finish that project.

Secondly, I may stop creating new content after that as I am not producing things at any kind of decent speed. If others want to take over that would be great.

Thirdly. Some of the mechanisms required for WOME will make it tricky to implement for a useable version (the playtester version works but was somewhat fiddly to use).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the work you've done all along!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's also possible to create a Cyberboard version... Just give me all necessary graphics and the producer's permission. But who will play Cyberboard these days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As impressed as I am with the Java version, is there a reason no Vassal module exists?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps Java version is better than Vassal would have been? But nevertheless, having no new additions to the existing Java version makes us seek for a different option. I personally prefer multi-screen display of a board game on PC, which is fully supported by Cyberboard but I got errors in Vassal when I try to expand to more screens for most of the games. Java version does a nice job of managing space but the player needs to be familiar with cards for the reading of card names to be sufficient for a gameplay. Otherwise the player needs to examine cards. In a multiscreen vision most cards can be fully filled with text. But Cyberboard is anachronic in many ways...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the community here, I can imagine that there are people who are willing to continue the development of the java client. (Me including ). Also an important aspect of the client is that people need to have the real physical game to be able to play and hence there is always a trade off there.

Ideas and improvements are always welcome in my opinion. When they will be implemented (as you noticed) is another matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
As impressed as I am with the Java version, is there a reason no Vassal module exists?

there was one before. They had to pull it, however. You can read about that here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.