GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,839 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Single player enemy attack question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Wade

Michigan
msg tools
Hey y'all, I have a quick question about single player games.

If there are say, two forest spiders in the staging area, then both of them engage me, correct? And if so, do both of those engaged enemies make attacks on me? Finally, if I have only one character available to attack those two engaged enemies, does my attacker on get to attack one of those two enemies, or does he get to attack both?

Thanks so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Anslow
England
Warminster
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon,

Firstly you could voluntarily engage a spider during step 1 of the encounter phase. Then you would have to check the engagement cost of any enemies against your threat level, which could mean that you do not engage the second spider and it would remain in the staging area. If your threat level was equal or higher than the engagement cost then both spiders would engage you.

Both spiders would attack you in this case and you would have to exhaust a character to defend for each attack or take each attack undefended. Only then could you make an attack against each spider with a ready character/s. You can gang up on each spider but each can only be attacked once.

Hope this helps.

Roger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wade

Michigan
msg tools
rsa1 wrote:

Firstly you could voluntarily engage a spider during step 1 of the encounter phase.
Does this imply that if I voluntarily engage the enemy, then I strike first during combat phase, or does the combat phase still play as normal What would be the benefit of voluntarily engaging an enemy?

rsa1 wrote:
You can gang up on each spider but each can only be attacked once.
What do you mean by this? Each spider may only be attacked by my characters once? For instance, I have Gimli and Legolas ready for attack, and Gimli attacks Spider A, so Legolas must attack Spider B, or can Legolas also attack Spider B?[/q]

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm trying to make sense of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BZSWade wrote:
rsa1 wrote:

Firstly you could voluntarily engage a spider during step 1 of the encounter phase.
Does this imply that if I voluntarily engage the enemy, then I strike first during combat phase, or does the combat phase still play as normal What would be the benefit of voluntarily engaging an enemy?
the engagement phase has two steps.

the first step is optional engagement, where each player, in player order, chooses one enemy in the staging area and engages that enemy.

then, if any enemies remain, you check the engagement value of each enemy with the first player until an enemy engages, then do the same for the next player, and so on until each player has engaged an enemy. then you repeat the process again starting with the first player until no more enemies engage any players or until all enemies have been engaged.

it changes nothing about combat. it's just a way to engage an enemy that is higher than your threat or to make sure a particular player has engaged a particular enemy (instead of who it would normally engage by the engagement process)

Quote:
rsa1 wrote:
What do you mean by this? Each spider may only be attacked by my characters once? For instance, I have Gimli and Legolas ready for attack, and Gimli attacks Spider A, so Legolas must attack Spider B, or can Legolas also attack Spider B?

enemies make one attack, and you choose the defending character for each attack.

likewise, you can only declare an attack against an enemy once, but as many characters as you want can join in the attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wade

Michigan
msg tools
Thank you very much! This clears things up completly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BZSWade wrote:
rsa1 wrote:
What do you mean by this? Each spider may only be attacked by my characters once? For instance, I have Gimli and Legolas ready for attack, and Gimli attacks Spider A, so Legolas must attack Spider B, or can Legolas also attack Spider B?

Main point of this is that even if you can ready a character (Gimli in your example) with unexpected courage (or other effect), you cannot attack a spider again with Gimli if you already attacked that spider.

--> if Gimli has 3 attack, the spider 2 defense and 2 hitpoints, you need two attacks from Gimli to defeat it, even with unexpected courage, this would not be possible in one turn with only Gimli attacking.
You could gang up with legolas, or use Gimli to defend and ready him with unexpected courage of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.