Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dont understand the concept of pinning units to a battle region rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the rules talk about an attacker coming into a region with a bunch of enemy units, and if the defender wants to leave this region they can do so but there must remain two defending units for each attacker present (at the very least).

I dont really understand the concept here. Wouldnt it be better to leave all the defenders and just destroy the attacker? How practical is it to pin units? I dont have a lot of experience in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Okay imagine action round 1 and let's say you have 7 dudes in one region. Now on my turn I will send 1 of my guys into that region and pinning all your dudes in that space. That would be great for me. You lost all your mobility for action round 2 and 3 and my entire cost was just 1 unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok i didnt think of it that way. I was thinking more if the attacker sent in 2-3 units and pinned all your guys there. I was thinking "why should i run away when i need to stay here and defend myself?"

I guess this is a potentially good strategy to help you win... Like i said im inexperienced so i dont know all the ins and outs of this game. I read a lot of posts on here talking about imbalances but it sounds like you just have ro find the right counters to every move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
burrie wrote:
Okay imagine action round 1 and let's say you have 7 dudes in one region. Now on my turn I will send 1 of my guys into that region and pinning all your dudes in that space. That would be great for me. You lost all your mobility for action round 2 and 3 and my entire cost was just 1 unit.

This doesn't pin them all though. Per the Watch It Played video the defender can leave a battle region as long as 2 defenders per attacker stay in the region. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocking is very useful for Machines (who use Shred drones to weaken) or pilgrims, who create a wall of Units between their valuable regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
burrie wrote:

In this example, I could move 5 out of the region if I wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
shooshoo wrote:

I dont really understand the concept here. Wouldnt it be better to leave all the defenders and just destroy the attacker? How practical is it to pin units? I dont have a lot of experience in this game.

Please read what the OP is asking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fahey
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

If you've amassed quite a few units in one of your control regions through terrain cards/battle and someone moved into that region to pin your units it isn't the end of the world. Having said that, if it happens on the first action phase and battle doesn't happen till the end of the round, now I can't build in that area, activate buildings in the area, or easily move those troops out because of the movement penalty applied from the attacker. Would it be easier to leave them in the region to defend, yes, will I unnecessarily lose units, possibly, will I waste time or valuable actions? Absolutely.

Pinning is one of many valid strategies and more than just pinning troops in the region, I've won a couple games coming from behind by just splitting up enemy troops this way because you divide the amount of cards your enemy wants to use in each battle and how they'll use their resources each action leading up to the battle.

Hope this makes sense because I feel like I'm rambling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
burrie wrote:

This doesn't pin them all though. Per the Watch It Played video the defender can leave a battle region as long as 2 defenders per attacker stay in the region. Or am I misunderstanding something?

You're right this is exactly what could happen. The person you a responding to is just giving an example to OP of a situation where it would be unfair to pin all your opponent units.

I think it make sence that you can retreat some of your units and some are left to battle as if they were caught off guard and had to fight anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how pinning works after the comments. I like what was said about dividing the enemy's units and having them think carefully about how they're going to use cards. The more areas they're in the more they have to manage their cards properly. And if you managed to divide them up and have them fight 3-4 battles as opposed to 1, that could be a big problem because that's more cards they may have to spend in fights, and they can't use them for other things.

I wonder if all these comments about imbalances are made by people who don't FULLY understand all the possibilities in this game I'm not saying that as an attack on those people...just that I simply didn't realise the strategy behind this approach. Maybe many others don't as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a big, complex, deep asymmetric game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fahey
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:

I wonder if all these comments about imbalances are made by people who don't FULLY understand all the possibilities in this game I'm not saying that as an attack on those people...just that I simply didn't realise the strategy behind this approach. Maybe many others don't as well.

Exactly, the one thing I've gathered from my games is man, there are options you don't even see coming early in the round. I played the machines, pinned down troops and since the players other troops couldn't move into a battle zone I was able to activate shredders to kill his troops in the battle zone and orbital sniper for the ones on the other side cut off. I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

Why leave 7 units to destroy 1 when 2 will do the job, and allow you to do something else with those other 5 units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
burrie wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

Why leave 7 units to destroy 1 when 2 will do the job, and allow you to do something else with those other 5 units?

It's a tough thing to discuss in the abstract. I played a 4p game today and even though the player could have left to do other things, he had plenty to profit from in guaranteeing his win in the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fahey
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
DailyRich wrote:
burrie wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

It's a tough thing to discuss in the abstract. I played a 4p game today and even though the player could have left to do other things, he had plenty to profit from in guaranteeing his win in the battle.

Yep, you've designed a great game my friend! Just got done with two 2p games and the second game man I got crushed as the machines vs humans. I think I misplayed early and spread myself thin with transform/movement so my buddy pinned my units and my satellite/shredders making that space basically useless for two rounds. He didn't win the fights, but he didn't need to, he won the war of strategy!

I just love the variability of this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.