GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Letting Multiple Players Control One Avatar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Winger
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am making a game that involves a combining Mecha. Players start off as the individual pieces before combining to form a giant robot.

I am having a hard time coming up with a system for cooperative control of the robot that doesn't involve adding new components.

My initial thought was to let each player control it individually on their turn, but that seems boring. The next idea was to let a die roll decide who controls, but that can lead to streakiness where one or more players may not get to do anything for a long stretch of time. My final idea is just letting the players discuss and vote for the actions each turn, which seems like the most fair way to do it, but could slow down the pace of the game.

Any thoughts or ideas you have about this would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Samurai Robots Battle Royale each component is treated as a separate unit so, for instance, when the legs are activated the robot can move/kick/fire leg-mounted weaponry. It all depends on the variety of different actions that are available to the component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Winger
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
In Samurai Robots Battle Royale each component is treated as a separate unit so, for instance, when the legs are activated the robot can move/kick/fire leg-mounted weaponry. It all depends on the variety of different actions that are available to the component.

That seems like a good way of doing things. Players could roll a die, and depending on the result they could control a different part. I'd just have to make sure each part has interesting and fun options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regniwekim wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

That seems like a good way of doing things. Players could roll a die, and depending on the result they could control a different part. I'd just have to make sure each part has interesting and fun options.

I'd try and make it more managable what you control. Whether its bidding or last chooses first or something. But a simple die roll isn't very interesting or rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Captain Sonar for another way how different players can work together. Not saying that CS maps to a Voltron mecha. The problem about such mecha is that the commander pretty much controls the mech, and the "limbs" don't really seem to have any decision-making.

You could also just make this a PvP game, with each player controlling their own mecha and individual pieces. Why is it important that you have multiple players controlling their own pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Winger
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
Regniwekim wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

I'd try and make it more managable what you control. Whether its bidding or last chooses first or something. But a simple die roll isn't very interesting or rewarding.

I like the idea of something like last chooses first. Perhaps something like a rotating turn order could work so everyone gets a chance at going first.

Sam and Max wrote:
Check out Captain Sonar for another way how different players can work together. Not saying that CS maps to a Voltron mecha. The problem about such mecha is that the commander pretty much controls the mech, and the "limbs" don't really seem to have any decision-making.

You could also just make this a PvP game, with each player controlling their own mecha and individual pieces. Why is it important that you have multiple players controlling their own pieces?

The theme is based on the super sentai shows where teams work together to fight an evil villain and eventually summon some kind of giant robot for the final battle, so PvP doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Lumiukko
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Dice Duel has players teaming up to control a spaceship. Each person is in charge of a specific part of the ship.
It's real-time dice rolling so the person in charge of movement controls the engines to place the ship in correct position while the person in charge of missiles arms them and shoots and the person in charge of the energy source sends the energy to the people who need it and so on and so forth.
And the other team with the other spaceship is doing the same thing on the other side.

I could see a similar mechanic working as well with your theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.