Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
So, I was curious about this game. Not my usual fare - I loathe co-ops and tabletop RPGs - but the theme was cool, and some of the mechanisms are interesting.

So I made a PnP. I sourced it from the dark depths of the internet. Taking good part of a week to print n' cut everything. I spent a few days boning up on the rules.

Initial first solo impressions:

Combat seems way more interesting than at first glance. The hit locations add a good chunk of tactics to the game, and you really have to balance risk/reward, and position carefully. I've only played the White Lion so far, but it feels very distinct - I can definitely see monsters getting better. However, combat can also drag, especially if you get unlucky.

The Settlement Phase is clunky and annoying. So much book-keeping to track to what basically amounts to "buy stuff".

Erasing stuff is irritating. Goddamn erasers.

So, better than expected, but not blown away. However, I had made this to try with a friend. I wasn't expecting much. Maybe have a few chuckles over lion penis, but inevitably pack it away going "well, it's okay, but not our thing".

Initial first co-op impressions:

Wow.

A second person halves the book-keeping. Keeps the energy up while your checking rules. Makes it less likely to forget things. And let's you fully engage with the experience. I could see solo getting more fun as proficiency with the rules increase.

There's no alpha player, due to the luck factor. However, the luck factor is carefully balanced with the strategy - it feels like we're getting better at fighting lions, and will continue to do so.

The RPG factor is definitely more comparable to video games. You get cool stuff, and it feels immediately useful. We named our characters doofy things (the Shredder is proud in his Skull Helm and White Lion Coat - needs some daggers though). It was just the right amount of story engagement for us.

We just finished Year 3 and excitedly looking forward to getting mauled by The Butcher next year(/week - I have to wait a week, aw). Here's hoping it just keeps better and better - if it does, the upcoming Kickstarter can't come soon enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
C3Gaming wrote:

Erasing stuff is irritating. Goddamn erasers.

Printed out some of the great custom settlement and survivor sheets here, laminated them, and marked with correctable pens.
https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Lumocolor-Correctable-Pens-...

Makes things so much smoother
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Why "too much" book keeping in settlement phase? If you play one campaign at a time, the only two steps in which you record something are when you archive resources and when you add events (of course, sometimes people die or change stats, and you can be the good scholar and annotate innovations and settlement locations (but not needed if playing a single campaign at a time, just put aside the cards you built).

Settlement phase gets more articulated when your settlement is bigger, though. In LY15, you get settlement phases as long as showdowns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KD:M can be pretty daunting for the first time RPG/Board gamer.

As you've witnessed, Adam did a great job in getting the player(s) up and running quickly after opening the box.

The game can get pretty immersive and the record keeping is needed to achieve this. I'd like to see a different implementation of the settlement but not sure how else it could be done and keep a small footprint... game sprawl is my chief complaint with this game.

The hunt sheets in the files section really help with the hunt phase.

My .02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
esin wrote:
Makes things so much smoother

I'll have to look into that! I laminated the equipment cards, so laminating survivor sheets wouldn't be a big deal.

t3clis wrote:
Why "too much" book keeping

Yeah, just the first impression, especially since the first couple of Settlement Phases are pretty rote. I'm interested to see how the Settlement Phase develops.

StevenE wrote:
The game can get pretty immersive and the record keeping is needed to achieve this.

There's a certain charm to the sprawling nature, and it's certainly befitting of an epic game of this magnitude. Although no issues with hunts. (Setup-wise. I'm sure they'll get infuriating later on.)

Do hope I'm getting rules right though! Making equipment doesn't cost Endeavors. Ranged/Reach weapons don't hit blind spots if they're used from a distance. Alert does nothing initially, just triggers a basic attack when a player moves within the perimeter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you should play it on tabletop simulator if you are having trouble book keeping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moll
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"There's no alpha player, due to the luck factor."
Depends on who your duoing it with. My friend tried to control the entire thing and still got butthurt when things didn't pan out. It seems like 4 people is best but finding people willing to commit to a campaign is another story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Combat at a certain point will become more mundane (except on Nemesis fights, those are always hair-raising) and you will begin looking to maximize your resource profit.

The Settlement phase will become much more complex as time goes on. Not because of bookkeeping but because of trying to make long-term choices when it comes to gear, innovation choices, events, and deciding what to hunt and who to risk. The first 5-7 years are the most dangerous part of the game for the Settlement in terms of having a wipe, but years 8-15 are the tougher years because of the number of choices you come across. It's slightly easier with just the core game, but when expacs are added into the mix the complexity goes up quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: yes it is really that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.