David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One for each basic set and then for each alternate world? I wonder who would play the "main characters" and which ones would be selected?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really watch any tv anymore, but this I would give a go.

...make it so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Russell
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, would be too repetitive and get boring will quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well now Michael, we're not talking about three mini-series here. Surely 3 movies though would be a bit more palatable. Heck I watched a pretty long play through on YouTube! I loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Episode one: It spends twenty five minutes setting up the world, and then every dies five minuets after walking into the mine

Episode two: the set up remains the same, with the exact same characters, only the actors switch roles. Seven minutes into the mines, the gunslinger finds the best pistol in the West. The actor playing the preacher says 'why couldn't that happen when I was that character?' He then spends the rest of the episode stuck behind three other characters and doesn't get to do very much.

Episode three: Extended three hour special! The characters wander through a mine, fighting an endless stream of spiders and tentacles. You are reasonably sure they are just showing the same scenes over and over. Finally, they find their goal, and an enormous tentacled beast attacks! The screen immediately goes dark, and text informs you that the town was destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was done well I'd sure as hell watch it. I think it would work alot better as a series though.

Imagine if a show like Hell on Wheels was set in the Brimstone World...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
COry Porter
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
My roommate and I were just talking about this tonight! A Netflix series would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new TV series remake of WestWorld, this would be a match made in heaven!

'Shadows of Brimstone: A WestWorld Experience' cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
Episode one: It spends twenty five minutes setting up the world, and then every dies five minuets after walking into the mine

Episode two: the set up remains the same, with the exact same characters, only the actors switch roles. Seven minutes into the mines, the gunslinger finds the best pistol in the West. The actor playing the preacher says 'why couldn't that happen when I was that character?' He then spends the rest of the episode stuck behind three other characters and doesn't get to do very much.

Episode three: Extended three hour special! The characters wander through a mine, fighting an endless stream of spiders and tentacles. You are reasonably sure they are just showing the same scenes over and over. Finally, they find their goal, and an enormous tentacled beast attacks! The screen immediately goes dark, and text informs you that the town was destroyed.

Haha, amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
I support Israel!
badge
I love Israel!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess such a TV-show would be kind of like "Stargate" movies and series... just less science, and more western and supernatural horror...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBaldEagle wrote:
I guess such a TV-show would be kind of like "Stargate" movies and series... just less science, and more western and supernatural horror...

To do that, you'd need to make it a recurring thing, effectively you'd have to televise a hexcrawl like campaign. The heroes would be presumably shutting down mines to stop the incursion. Maybe a Wild Wild West (original TV series) sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More seriously, a series would mostly just use the setting and themes - obviously not the mechanics.

My question would be: How hard and fast do you come on with the supernatural elements?

I'd structure it as...

EPISODE 1:
- We are introduced to our main protagonist. It begins as a very standard Western setting: the protagonist is heading West to make his fortune in the boom-town of Brimstone. Nothing supernatural is mentioned or hinted at, at first.

- We discover that he has arrived immediately after the destruction of Brimstone, but before news of it had spread.

- We meet other characters as our protagonist travels to another small town in the area. We get some exposition and background.

- We have our first glimpse of the supernatural horrors that await, as some kind of monster attacks the town and the camp (where our protagonist has been staying for lack of funds).

- Someone is kidnapped. Our protagonist either shows a heroic streak, or another motivation, as he volunteers for the posse to save the victim.

- We end the first episode with the posse having to travel by the ruins of Brimstone, and on the image of the dark and damaged, corrupt and twisted, wastes.

EPISODE 2: (in brief... er)
- The posse faces monstrosities, and begins to come to terms with the madness of the setting. They follow their trail to one of the various mines, and journey inside. Lots of room to develop characters and their interactions/relationships. In the end, the victim is found dead. They return to town.

FURTHER EPISODES:
- We deal with events as the surrounding towns come to terms with the new status quo of the region, the protagonists dealing with the new threats in the region.
- The driving "plot" of the first "season" is the effort to figure out what caused the destruction of the town of Brimstone, and what unleashed all of these horrors into the region.
- The action remains tied to the "real world" for this first season. Threats include new monsters and horrors (such as Void Twisters, and other town/travel hazards), bandits in mostly lawless region (until the army and other law enforcement begins to move into the region in force), the rise of mutations and corruption (and madness - don't forget madness), and the slow rise of cults.
- Only near the end of the season do our protagonists actually travel to Other Worlds (though there has been a lot of foreshadowing of them throughout the series).

FURTHER SEASONS:
- The show is plotted such that it can function just as a "miniseries", serving as a sort of prologue to the actual game, OR so that it can continue forward with future seasons and threats. Season-long arcs can be devoted to major threats like Be'lial, Col. Scafford, or Trederra.

EDIT: If you wanted to cling more closely to the mechanics and gameplay of the game, instead of just taking the setting, you could make use of a LOT of flashbacks. Most of the "current" events would be action and exploration of the mines, like in the actual game, with a lot of plot and character development filled in by intercutting flashbacks.

Personally, Bone Tomahawk feels like an unofficial Shadows of Brimstone movie, to me. Not in all of the details, but just the tone and style. If the final threat at the end of the film had been supernatural in nature, it would have been pretty close to 100%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.