Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

What do we have here? We have another Deck Building Game based on the same mechanics we have seen a few times before. What is different? Art. Mostly just art. I may behaving poorly here. We get different characters with different powers, but are they really? Is there a huge difference between Superman and Superboy? Not really. The cards do seem to attack (and defend) more than the original game. I didn't count the cards to verify this, but there is for sure a feeling that it is more interactive with these cards.

In addition, to me, the characters are not as recognizable. I guess I know the kid version of Superman and Robin, but a lot of the others I had never heard of. The Villains are very "C" grade as are the Super Villains.

The game likely last a little too long for my needs. It is a super simple game to play. I wouldn't play with more than three as the AP from reading all the cards can get pretty long (for the depth of the game). The game is a little bland and light. It is odd that you beat a villain and he then fights for you. You are going to get the obvious comparisons to Legendary and it doesn't compare very well (unless you like the lightness of the game).

If you have the first game in the series I am not sure you need this version. New art; not a new game.

Purge.

Components:

The components match the original game in the series. You get nice cards with original art work. Everything is made well and has great art work. The only components in the box are cards. The box is way too big for what you get. The character cards are over sized.

Rule Book:

The rules are fairly good. It is written for a person who has never played a deck builder and/or a game in this series. It has some variants in the back of the book, which are appreciated. Overall, good job.

Flow of the Game:

Goal of the Game: Score the most VP.

Player turn:

1. Play your 5 cards to get the single currency: power.

2. Use this power to purchase any of the 5 face up cards.

3. The purchased cards go into your discard pile.

4. Draw 5 new cards.

The idea of the game is to buy cards to increase the ability of your deck. You want to get your deck stronger by gaining better cards and getting rid of your weaker cards.

Should I buy this game?:

No, not really. This is just for fans of Teen Titans. Big fans. If you really like this system and you want more characters and cards, then this will accomplish your goal. Otherwise, the rest of the world can find a better system in Legendary. Or if you like this system, just get the original DC game or the Lord of the Rings version which adds a few wrinkles. This is one of the weakest versions unless you really like the Teen Titans.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely disagree. I'm a big fan of the DC Deck Builder, and when I play I mix everything together. As far as each set on its own goes, this one is my second favorite behind the original. I'm not that invested in the Teen Titans, but this set features a lot of cards that stay in play until they're used, which I think is a neat wrinkle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may just be a rumor, but one reason to keep DC Teen Titans is that - for the first time - the upcoming Crisis expansion (I hear) will have a team-based mode (i.e., 2-on-2).

If you're comparing Teen Titans to other DC games, the main difference is the Ongoing mechanic: Ongoing cards stay in play until used, and some cards trigger off of the number of Ongoing cards in play. E.g., a card might give you +1 power for each of your Ongoing cards.

If you're comparing Teen Titans to Legendary (or other deck-builders), that's a whole other deal.

Pros for Teen Titans (and other DC games): Great cardstock (sleeves not necessary); five minute set-up; good for families and casual players (only one currency - power); and the Crisis expansions are excellent (but long) co-op experiences, even if specific crisis cards are insane.

Cons for Teen Titans (and other DC games): Because (1) there's only one type of currency, (2) defeated super villains are added to your deck, and (3) each character's super-power is always in effect, there tends to be a huge runaway leader problem. (There have been games where I have defeated every single super villain and my opponents have defeated none, for example. That's bad.) There's also more strategy in multi-currency games such as Legendary (two currencies: money and attack), which also has additional variety due to Schemes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby Dooby Benooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with everything you say. Love the base game...but this one just overstays its welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I completely disagree. I'm a big fan of the DC Deck Builder, and when I play I mix everything together. As far as each set on its own goes, this one is my second favorite behind the original. I'm not that invested in the Teen Titans, but this set features a lot of cards that stay in play until they're used, which I think is a neat wrinkle.

I think that is a fair assessment. I think most would rather just play the original with the more known super heroes. I just didn't see enough here for me (a casual gamer) to have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
This may just be a rumor, but one reason to keep DC Teen Titans is that - for the first time - the upcoming Crisis expansion (I hear) will have a team-based mode (i.e., 2-on-2).

If you're comparing Teen Titans to other DC games, the main difference is the Ongoing mechanic: Ongoing cards stay in play until used, and some cards trigger off of the number of Ongoing cards in play. E.g., a card might give you +1 power for each of your Ongoing cards.

If you're comparing Teen Titans to Legendary (or other deck-builders), that's a whole other deal.

Pros for Teen Titans (and other DC games): Great cardstock (sleeves not necessary); five minute set-up; good for families and casual players (only one currency - power); and the Crisis expansions are excellent (but long) co-op experiences, even if specific crisis cards are insane.

Cons for Teen Titans (and other DC games): Because (1) there's only one type of currency, (2) defeated super villains are added to your deck, and (3) each character's super-power is always in effect, there tends to be a huge runaway leader problem. (There have been games where I have defeated every single super villain and my opponents have defeated none, for example. That's bad.) There's also more strategy in multi-currency games such as Legendary (two currencies: money and attack), which also has additional variety due to Schemes.

Personally, I found Street Fighter to be my favorite in this series. But that review will come soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
wkover wrote:

Personally, I found Street Fighter to be my favorite in this series. But that review will come soon.

I agree that it's the best set on its own, but mixing everything DC together is so much fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

I think that is a fair assessment. I think most would rather just play the original with the more known super heroes. I just didn't see enough here for me (a casual gamer) to have both.

Ah, but then you have those casuals that greatly enjoyed the Teen Titans cartoon (the first one), and don't really care much about 'the big names'.

The big(ger) point in the Teen Titans set's favor is that it has a fair bit more depth than [original] or Heroes Unite.
In either of those the turns are basically "dump my whole hand into play, maximizing power if there are any choices".
Teen Titans focus on "Discard this Ongoing to...[bonus]" makes you think a bit more on when it's best to use/save them.

Granted, it's not all that much deeper, but it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
william4192 wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

Ah, but then you have those casuals that greatly enjoyed the Teen Titans cartoon (the first one), and don't really care much about 'the big names'.

The big(ger) point in the Teen Titans set's favor is that it has a fair bit more depth than [original] or Heroes Unite.
In either of those the turns are basically "dump my whole hand into play, maximizing power if there are any choices".
Teen Titans focus on "Discard this Ongoing to...[bonus]" makes you think a bit more on when it's best to use/save them.

Granted, it's not all that much deeper, but it helps.

That is super fair. Yes, if you like Teen Titans, then this is the set to get. I agree. Although Street Fighter is the best game so far in this "series" (if you ask me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
"Thick as a Snicker"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I played my first two games ever of any DC Comics Deck-Building wit this Teen Titans expansion and really enjoyed the game system. Not much narrative except maybe a bit in battling the Villains, but overall it was very enjoyable to see what could happen on any given turn with an ever-growing deck.

The only small, minor point I found with the game was unfamiliar characters and re-imagining of heroes and heroines of my youth. Old-school fanboy me would love a game featuring nothing but the 80's style of New Tee Titans artist, George Perez.

Very fun deck-building system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Tonight I played my first two games ever of any DC Comics Deck-Building wit this Teen Titans expansion and really enjoyed the game system. Not much narrative except maybe a bit in battling the Villains, but overall it was very enjoyable to see what could happen on any given turn with an ever-growing deck.

The only small, minor point I found with the game was unfamiliar characters and re-imagining of heroes and heroines of my youth. Old-school fanboy me would love a game featuring nothing but the 80's style of New Tee Titans artist, George Perez.

Very fun deck-building system.

I agree it is a fun little starter system. I don't hate it like some do. I like the larger, better story in Marvel Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
"Thick as a Snicker"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayson, I replied late last night and had just finished playing the game.
Sorry, I should also state yours is an informative review.
Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.