Hide
3 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 3 Player Session Report Orks/Ultramarines/Eldar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Siford
msg tools
This was my (and D's) second game and (C's) first game. D had Orks, C had Ultramarines and I was Eldar, we are all experienced gamers but this game has a learning curve. If I had to describe the game, a 2 player game is a cot and fro arm wrestle, the 3 player game is a vicious bar fight!

Set up took about 15 minutes.

The layout of the tiles is a very important mini game. Given we are still new we took maybe 20 minutes doing this. If it is your first or second game it would be better to use a standardised layout and skip this to increase game speed. It definitely impacts the game but unless you are more than a novice it won't matter as you will make so many mistakes during the game anyway. There are 9 tiles so I will use the compass as a reference.

The Orks base capital was in the top North west corner, Eldar was in the SW corner and Ultramarines had the SE corner. By no means did we optimise our positions, Orks were probably best placed but they lacked ships and my Eldar took a huge risk by putting the Wraithguard, Aspect Warrior and Frigate on the eastern system and faced an imminent invasion from Orks and Ultramarines. Luckily warp storms saved this system and a timely bastion meant it became much less desirable.

C was hampered by not quite grasping the proper use of bastions, cities and factories. By putting them on the wrong planets he stymied his development, if you build a factory on the wrong planet you limit the number of units you can build. Eventually C's marines attacked his first objective (South) but by this time my Eldar had tons of frigates everywhere and an orbital strike in the same round destroyed the marines before they could claim that objective. Orks jumped out to a two objective lead but they were slow to build ships and were relying on Ork Rocks which were then blocked by warp storms and Hellebore Frigates. Round 3 was crucial with the Eldar grabbing two objectives that were not defended with single units.

From here on the Eldar upgraded their combat deck and kept building ships. They then attacked the Ork home world void which had an adjacent Eldar objective. The game then became about could clever Ork defence stop the Eldar from getting the 3rd objective or would the Ultramarines have enough time for a late game win by taking a second objective and winning on tie breaks. The Orks hadn't upgrade their combat deck enough and couldn't replace losses from two orbital bombardments each round with their weakened economy. The game ended in Round 6 with the Eldar on 3 objectives, Orks 2 and the Ultramarines 1.

Including the tile set up the game took 4 hours. We could definitely be faster and will be as we become accustomed to the game. The game is deep, it rewards clever planning and tactical acumen, if you are creative you can pull off some amazing game changing moments. For beginners I can only recommend you use a standardised tile layout and ensure you upgrade your combat deck early and often. Some of the Eldar combat cards were sickeningly good and by themselves swung a combat from even-stevens to a lop sided victory. I can't imagine playing a 4 player game at this point, 4 hours is about our limit for these types of games and 3 hours would be much better. The combat system is brilliant and the orders will do your head in. The only criticism I have is the italic font on the system tiles which make them hard to read and look a bit medieval rather than space. The models are gorgeous.

Can't wait for its next tabling and I look forward to trying out Chaos or Orks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the game was new to you the results are very typical, Eldar win, Ultramarines lose. Still a great game though, thanks for posting the session review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it. You are right that game length shortens when everyone knows what they are doing, and the game improves. You are properly fighting each other on several fronts, rather than the game itself...

The mediaeval script is thematic. Warhammer 40,000 is a deliberate mix of futuristic tech and dark ages superstition, so there are lots of anachronisms such as computer printouts using quill pens, gunners offering prayers to their weapons to aim correctly and so on. The planet names are not used in the game. Unlike, say, risk, you don't "attack Planet X from Planet Y; you just move your armies to Planet Y and try to kill them all. I love the theme and I've played this game many, many times, but I couldn't name a single planet in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.