$20.00
$60.00
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a strike on Kingpin and got Criminal Empire, which revealed two Maggia Goons and a Hammerhead, in that order. We were genuinely perplexed on how to play it. We had already revealed the top three cards were supposed to play all revealed villains. But if we resolved them one by one, then those three cards weren't the ones we were playing.

Here's what we did:

We "revealed" all three cards. They were all villains, so they would all need to be played. With all three cards revealed, we played the first of those cards, a Maggia Goons, and consequently played the next card off the top of the deck (skipping the other two previously revealed cards). This was a Twist which caused that Goon to escape. Next, we played the next revealed Goon, playing another card from the Villain deck. Finally, we played the Hammerhead card we had initially revealed as the third card.

Are we instead supposed to reveal the cards one by one, not knowing what the next card is with each reveal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I can't speak for this specific instance, but in the vast majority of cases (if not all), you're supposed to pretend that cards come into play as though they just came from the Villain deck. Therefore any time a Maggia Goon comes into play in a game with the Organized Crime Wave scheme, it will trigger its Ambush effect.

Personally I'd play the Villains revealed by the Tactic and then fulfill the Ambush effect (so I think you played it correctly in my book), but I don't know if there was ever a ruling, let alone what the ruling was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm reading it right, I'd say you played it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play it like this (based on the card text you gave, I do not have the card in front of me):

Reveal first card, if villain -> play, ambush effect.

Reveal second card, if villain -> play, ambush effect.

Reveal third card, if villain -> play, ambush effect.

Wich would have a different outcome than your's, not sure if mines is more correct though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a hard one, but I'd have done it differently. Revealing shouldn't move cards, so I'd have played it as if each were revealed separately, e.g. Reveal the goons, play them, take care of any ambush effects etc, then move on. Admittedly I would have had to kinda roll things back a little after just picking up three cards without thinking.

I think that would have meant the Twist would have ended up being one of Criminal Empire'a three cards.

Revealing can get weird, so what we do is just flip the card if it's on a deck. We have to be careful to not accidentally move it somewhere and trigger some other effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
poshniallo wrote:
That's a hard one, but I'd have done it differently. Revealing shouldn't move cards, so I'd have played it as if each were revealed separately, e.g. Reveal the goons, play them, take care of any ambush effects etc, then move on. Admittedly I would have had to kinda roll things back a little after just picking up three cards without thinking.

I think that would have meant the Twist would have ended up being one of Criminal Empire'a three cards.

Revealing can get weird, so what we do is just flip the card if it's on a deck. We have to be careful to not accidentally move it somewhere and trigger some other effect.

You can't just reveal them separately though, if you did, and the top card was not a Villain, you'd never get to the other cards.
It looks like the OP found this older thread, and posted there: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23931191#23931191, but so that anyone else with this question has an answer here...

You play all revealed villains and return the rest in a random order before you execute any ambush effects. This is because cards must resolve completely before other cards resolve. (except for replacement effects) Per Devin Low here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12653802#12653802

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.