Panzergruppe Guderian» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can't even get set up! [S&T version] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: broken_offsite_images [+] [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the S&T version of PGG second hand and I've been through the scans of the counter sheet (here on BGG) and what I have and they match up perfectly.

The problem is when I try to set up the Soviet units I don't have enough infantry counters to match what the rules say.

The scans of the counters, and my counters have 78 infantry, but the rules use 88 (for the setup and reinforcements).

Please tell me it's an error in the rules and that I'm not going completely bonkers! laugh *nervous twitch* laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... are the ten missing infantry the mechanised units?

If so, where do I place them? It doesn't seem to specify where to place them (in the initial setup).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pink Pelican

Springfield
Virginia
msg tools
The mechanized units belong with the tank units. After an infantry division has been eliminated, it has the opportunity to be reformed and come back as a later reinforcement so there are fewer infantry counters than required by the set up (remember there are provisional and optional reinforcements too).

[12.4] ELIMINATED UNTRIED UNITS All Soviet units that are eliminated in combat or removed from the game because they have no Combat Strength (0-0-6) are placed in a separate pile in an inverted, bntried state. When the Soviet Player has run out of reinforcements from the counters provided, he may pick reinforcements from this "dead pile" until he has used all counters available to him and there are no other counters to use. The Soviet Player is limited to the number of counters he actually receives by the number of counters provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathanmuel wrote:

[12.4] ELIMINATED UNTRIED UNITS All Soviet units that are eliminated in combat or removed from the game because they have no Combat Strength (0-0-6) are placed in a separate pile in an inverted, bntried state. When the Soviet Player has run out of reinforcements from the counters provided, he may pick reinforcements from this "dead pile" until he has used all counters available to him and there are no other counters to use. The Soviet Player is limited to the number of counters he actually receives by the number of counters provided.

WAAAAAAIT a minute. So a hefty chunk of the Soviet reinforcements are going to be duds? Ah crap!

(Assuming that the duds will show up and be removed first)

Thanks for clearing that up though. It does mean I'm not losing the plot after all. Phew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just duds, but all the Russians that were destroyed can come back as reinforcements.

...All Soviet units that are eliminated in combat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zerstorer88 wrote:
Not just duds, but all the Russians that were destroyed can come back as reinforcements.

...All Soviet units that are eliminated in combat...

Yeah, but I'm just thinking about it with my bad luck. laugh

Either way, I'm playing it solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm having trouble getting the German side set up!

I've put out the units listed in the reinforcements as 'Infantry Division'. That's easy enough. It has the infantry logo, number, and XX (for Division) on the chit (shown beside the black SS chits). Done!

It's when it says '39th Panzer Corps (7th Pz, 12th Pz, 14th Mot Inf, 20th Mot Inf, 20th Pz Divs.)' As you can see in the photo (below) all the Panzer chits are marked 'III' for 'Regiments'. They do have REG/DIV numbers on them though.

Also, the reinforcement setup refers to 'Mot Inf', but the rules show (below) the 'Infantry' chits as being motorised and shows 'mechanized' units which are never referred to in the reinforcements.

SO confusing! blush

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. I really want to give this thing a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Hanson
United States
Kenmore
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A panzer division is made up of three units, one panzer regiment and two mech regiments, all with the same division designation. So the 19th panzer division has the 27/19 panzer regiment, the 74/19 and ??/19 mech regiments (sorry, only going by what is in your picture.
And motorized infantry have a movement allowance of 10 (versus the "normal" 7).
I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhanson wrote:
A panzer division is made up of three units, one panzer regiment and two mech regiments, all with the same division designation. So the 19th panzer division has the 27/19 panzer regiment, the 74/19 and ??/19 mech regiments (sorry, only going by what is in your picture.
And motorized infantry have a movement allowance of 10 (versus the "normal" 7).
I hope this helps.

Yep. That explains everything. Thanks!

Finally got things set up and going in to turn one.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find it useful to print out this image from the gallery.

I think it really should be in the files section instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.