BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Carcassonne Vs. Settlers of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which is better Of this two games? Am i correct that Catan is 3 player and up? And Carcassonne is 2 player?

Which one to buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These two are quite different games, so "better" is subjective and will depend on your preferences. Carcassonne can be played at all player counts, but Catan only works well with at least 3, preferably 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is for 3-4 players. Carcassonne is for 2-5 players. Carcassonne is faster and easier to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Carcassonne also plays in about thirty minutes, while Settlers takes about two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Carcassonne also plays in about thirty minutes, while Settlers takes about two hours.

Those two hours are very interactive, with more conflict & negotiation that many eurogames today. Carc on the other hand is much less so. Carc can also be quite dry when it's not your turn, whereas in Settlers of Catan it feels like it's always everyone's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carc is also best with 2, and Catan is best with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cradleofmilk wrote:
Welcome to BGG.

Ditto. And you'll see that buying both will often be the conclusion of this kind of threads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome to BGG...

It all comes down to what type of game you want, my suggestion is buy one of the games one month play it a few times and the next month buy the other. That way you start working on a collection of great games, other great games to try out or purchase is Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo and Pandemic.

You may also like to place the games on your user page to show your collection.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sredni Vashtar wrote:
These two are quite different games, so "better" is subjective and will depend on your preferences. Carcassonne can be played at all player counts, but Catan only works well with at least 3, preferably 4.

I agree it depends on your preferences, duration and number of players. If offered both, I would pick Catan + Cities and Knights every time if there are at least 3 players available. C&K is a must expansion for Catan. Add Seafarers and it's an even better afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made my (Small) collection now i would love to play Catan but i can't find a third player to the game. When i play boardgames its only with my girlfriend. Thats Why i have been looking at carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:
I have made my (Small) collection now i would love to play Catan but i can't find a third player to the game. When i play boardgames its only with my girlfriend. Thats Why i have been looking at carcassonne.

In which case if it is usually just 2 of you, I would skip Catan completely.

Carcassonne is the better of those two, and you could also look at Stone Age.

A little later you might want to consider Castles of Burgundy and Roll for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you are looking for more people to play with you can look at the BGG Forum under Game Groups here is a link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/82/boardgamegeek/game-groups

Just look for your country then your state or region.

I am sure you can find a game group where you and your GF can play with more people and try out more games since they will play different types every time.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Dummiz wrote:

A little later you might want to consider Castles of Burgundy and Roll for the Galaxy.

Yes, Stone Age works well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (AFK/Away)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankDennis

Um I once had a friend who played a lot of Catan with his partner and throughly enjoyed it... We even traded goods. Less than 50 games but more than 30.

whistle

I'd pick up both sooner or later - though I'd concede that Catan is really 3-4 player game.

+1 Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Of course I have never played either of them, I just bought Carcassonne today so here hoping it is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Dummiz wrote:

Solid advice here. Castles of Burgundy is simply fantastic with two. Stone Age is a great call as well. Can't go wrong with either.

To the OP, as everyone has said Carcassonne works better with 2 players than Catan and Catan can get "antagonistic" more so than Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do get Carc, you will be incredibly content only picking up the first two expansions. Since there's a truck load of them, I figured it is worth pointing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Carcassonne. Better game, quicker to play and easier to pick up for new players, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subjective as always, but my thoughts:

The dice is a little annoying in Catan - but I possibly have something against too much dice rolling/unavoidable-or-unmitigated randomness. It can take time as is mentioned, but usually once people understand the rules it can pass by more quickly. I think the problem with Catan and 2 players is that you can (depending on the opening island setup) pretty much stay away from each other (which may or may not be a problem to you).

Carcassonne I love introducing new players to! Particularly those who have only been used to classic Risk or Monopoly. Its just very different and accessible: no language requirement, no text reading and simple illustrations. So have got people who have been scared away from games at the thought of reading too much (dyslexia for eg), actually really get into it. If its only going to be the two of you, you can play it in a more chilled out fashion (discussing stuff, set goals together), or play as is, but again, there is less competition over "resources" as you could largely ignore each other (or argue LOTS about fields!! lol). I also like that you can scale Carcassonne up to 8 players (with the Big Box) for the occasional time you want a larger crowd of friends to play a game together.

They both have a place, and play quite differently. I would recommend getting Helpers of Catan to go with Catan, its a nice extra element to add (although a bit more pain working out what they all do to begin with).

Enjoy playing games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are quite different games, but both are fairly easy to learn.

In my opinion Carcassonne is good with 2-3 player, reasonable with 4 and ok with 5. The reason being with 4-5 players you get far fewer turns than with 2-3. I think this makes the decisions less interesting (playing a meeple is more often the right choice) and increases the luck of the draw.

Catan is best with 4 in my opinion. It's ok with 3 but having one less person to trade with and more space on the map makes it less interesting in my opinion. There is a 2p variant in one of the expansions - I think you could easily play it without buying the expansion but I have never played it (and it's a couple of years since I read the rules for it).

aaj94 wrote:

This seems unlikely to be true for most people if the players are equally familiar with each game. My experience is that Carcassonne is around 45 mins and Catan is 1-1.5 hours and occasionally takes 2 hours or less than an hour. Catan is probably more variable between games and players though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny K
msg tools
I've played both and would definitely recommend 'Catan'. It's become my favorite game ever! You can play Catan with 2-4 players without expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that there are a HUGE number of games out there. There is no need / obligation to restrict yourselves to the two most well known ones in this area. Just because they've been around for ages doesn't mean they're the best. Personally I'd suggest you completely ignore Catan forever and just play someone else's copy one day. You'll probably find, once you have 100 games in your collection... that it's... mostly OK.

I'd really really urge you to look around at OTHER games. For example, Patchwork for only two, or Keyflower for 2 to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

aaj94 wrote:

This seems unlikely to be true for most people if the players are equally familiar with each game. My experience is that Carcassonne is around 45 mins and Catan is 1-1.5 hours and occasionally takes 2 hours or less than an hour. Catan is probably more variable between games and players though.

My regular Carc opponent and I can play a 2 player game of Carc with all the tiles from Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders in 45 minutes to an hour. It's very quick once you know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carcassonne is better
It plays smoother, plays well with any player count, never feels as bad when you losing as catan does, easier to learn, more fun being competitive, the "random in + player choice = gameplay" is more balanced in carcassonne.
Trading in catan is nice but at some point its just kinda hollow in a competitive game.

My family started getting really into board gaming with these two games but carcassonne is still a constant pick (and I mean CONSTANT, we all have our own copies and even on some of our phones) to play where catan is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.