10 Posts

Project Z: The Zombie Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Better than zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Goldfinger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I do like zombie games and have zombicide and zombicide Black Plague. Does project z bring anything better to the table other than customization of figures? I am trying to gauge whether I want to get this or just keep playing zombicide. Any insight into this game would be appreciated especially if you own zombicide.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't actually had a chance to play Project Z yet. I've read the rules and have just about finished assembling and painting the minis. Here is my take:

They are really 2 different games. Zombicide and Black Plague are CoOp games with Players (Humans) working together to beat the Game (Zombies)

Project Z is a skirmish game that pits 2 factions (players) against each other. The Zombies (game) kind of play themselves. You have 2 warring sides fighting for supplies, food, and weapons while the zombies are just a side obstacle that attack both sides. the zombies are not controlled by the game or an AI. They are controlled by the players.

I have all 3 and Project Z fills a different niche

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Own both & Zombicide is a complete & better game IMHO. If you like making & painting figures & terrain, then project Z will appeal. Once you've done that you can try to get past the un neccessarily convoluted rules, samey scenarios & card mis prints. Must admit we only played a few times before giving up on it, so maybe theres some hidden depth, that more experienced players could point to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
That's a pity to hear... I was interested in Project Z (have both Zombicides) and The Walking Dead All Out War (which comes out next month or very soon), but Project Z seems a little like the red headed stepdaughter (sincere apologies to all you red headed stepdaughters out there) of The Walking Dead.

I sure hope TWD gets it right this time. Mantic has a lot of near-misses under their belt and not too many "great" games, so my hopes for it are not that high...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I sure hope TWD gets it right

Second that - waiting as well.
Just to qualify my post above - if I had to save one from the fire, it would be Zombicide. I can equally see how some people may consider Zomicide too simple compared to Project Z. One man's convoluted is another's depth. Horses for courses.
Project Z figures may hopefully be great for TWD as well. Hope the dice are as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do the minis rate compared to Zombicide? Could a person use them as survivors in Zombicide (scale)?

Thanks for any insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Or as survivors for The Walking Dead (which has rules for custom hero creation)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, all 3 sets of figures would mix ok if needed.
**Very roughly**. Project Z are the smallest, say 28mm and thin on deep base, TWD are 30mm and chunky on deep base. Zcide are tallest, 31mm and thin on thin base.
Note that I've only painted PZ, and there are definite "style" differences, which may become enhanced if all were painted?
Also PZ are hard plastic with fine weapons, so maybe not so durable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave. The 3mm difference in height might be enough to make them look out of place on the board. You saved me from taking the gamble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I've seen some figure comparison photos here on BGG, certainly for Zcide. Sadly I'm not a camera type, but found this -
http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/zomb...
which might be of help for alts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.