Subject: Game report #16 : The Empire Strikes Back (sort of) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Previously : Rhineland reoccupied, Ethiopia conquered, Japan invades China and defeats the Nationalists, Anschluss, Russian purges, Spanish Civil War stalemates, CW and France establish new Entente Cordiale, Persia conquered, Germany and Italy sign a second pact, Czechoslovakia sacrificed, Bessarabia seized, Finland attacked, Germany conquers Belgium and Denmark and forces Vichy France. Italy declares war on the CW and the Free French. The US declares war on Japan who subsequently declares war on the CW.

January / February 1941

Politics : Russia gears up. Germany allies with (and then aligns) Turkey. Japan takes the bid points. France and the CW both offer a pact to the US which accepts taking the US / CW to level 3 and US / Fr to level 1.

Russia win initiative and DOW the pesky Baltic States in the snow. Looks like the new Soviet Chief of Staff has learnt from past mistakes and is now only invading countries who don’t actually have any troops. Smart.

The Fascists are next and Germany declares war on Iraq, sending in their new Turkish pals but it’s a long way to Baghdad, let’s hope the weather holds (PS it doesn’t).

The CW continue to stress test the Italian resolve in the Western Med (I’m not sure their resolve will be a problem) and sneak a NAV and CP in and then move the Med Fleet through. They are of course spotted by Greg’s magic die but still manages to clear the Italian NAV and press on to the West Med. Miracle of miracles the CW then find Forza and sink the Garibaldi with full use of every plane, even damaging the Impero after it makes its roll against the obligatory X and then makes the roll against the following D result. Having seen the flag ship wounded the Italians turn tail and flee the area leaving their Land forces out of supply (and luck) in Egypt.

At some point around this time the USA send a task force south to declare war on Argentina who are a pal of the Fascists. Unfortunately, I don’t bother reading the rules properly until they get down to the South Atlantic at which point I realise that war is not currently possible and they turn around and return to the good ol’ USA. Idiot.

March/April 1941

Politics : The CW gear up with a little help from their new best friends the USA and align Poland putting it into the Democrats camp (I had forgotten this – is this really right?), Germany played its owed DOW on Iraq, Russia & Japan take bid points, Free France becomes a free trader and the USA also takes points.

Democrats up first (clearly having won the die roll!) in poor weather, sail many ships but can’t find the opposition. Russia shuffles troops. A German sub sinks the CW tanker supplying Gib and Turkish troops inch towards Baghdad in the rain grumbling as they go. An Italian frogman unit sneaks into Gibraltar damaging CV Furious (and Laurence really is) together with a light cruiser. Japanese troops storm into Manila.

Democrats roll better weather and their ships continue to sail around the globe, Russia passes but the turn continues. Turkish planes flip an Iraqi defender and the attack goes in, but yet again Andy has no luck and rolls 5 on a +9, giving him the magic 14 result and 3 Turkish troops die. Unsportingly, the room echoes to much laughter while the Baghdad militia go off to rebuilt (except that the Democrat in charge fails to do this which means the Turks will be in next time barring yet more disastrous luck.

Democrats back up, good weather everywhere except rain in the Arctic, but no one is interested in the Arctic at this stage. The brave Australian fleet sortie with 2 cruisers to the Bay of Bengal and surprise the Japanese. They target a Transport carrying a motorized corps and both sent to the bottom, then find again to damage another Transport sending an HQ home to review cruises as a viable holiday option. As Greg observed, his luck meter had properly run out – but at this point the session completed.

We return to battle in less than a week. While you are waiting, I’m hoping that Greg will be able to post some pictures of the key battle grounds for your delectation. I had planned to do this, but I am now in an airport lounge in Istanbul airport and the photos he sent me are on a desktop back in the UK.

Until then, toodle pip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Photos will be posted at some point, but one slight correction - Poland was activated top bring it into the democrat zone but it is not yet aligned, so is still neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, some photos. This concentrating on the axis position.

Germany poised to counter soviet aggression

Italians in supply. CW not.....

Japan's Indian adventure. Both factories occupied

Where have all the allies gone?

China. Just as bad as advertised

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Some fairly creative cropping with that last photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what you might be referring to there unless it's the USN hiding in Pearl, which is a little out of shot. Still, if you insist....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And some more shots of the western allies.

California dreaming

Heavily garrisoned homelands are so last year

The only active front against Germany. If you look closely, Kirk Douglas is second from the left.

Indian Ocean summer cruises cancelled by RN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Cool cool session report. Must break out my WIF copy, only v4 but I am clearly missing a heap of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.