Subject: Overwatch triggers & number of attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I spent 30 minutes during a game last night and then an hour or more after trying to find how many units can fire during each overwatch trigger.

There are some general statements in 4.4.2, but no specifics. Can someone help me find the number of attacks per trigger in the rules?

There also doesn't appear to be a definitive list of overwatch triggers that I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mb
Ralph-

4.4.2 is pretty simple. OW triggers are fire and movement. (Includes other enemy OW fire) Naturally the OW firer must be able to see the trigger, including the range modifier for the triggering event. A number of the advanced rules treat various actions as movement or fire, such as searching for Hull Down. I don't think there's a definitive list of implied triggers. Strictly as a rule of thumb anything that requires a Move or SH command is probably Movement for OW.

Another simple aspect of 4.4.2 is that it says that "all" units that can see a trigger can fire. I'm pretty sure that firing OW keeps the unit from firing again that turn. The Advanced Spotting rules limit the number of enemy units a given unit can see, which probably also applies to OW triggers. (I'm not that far along in the rulebook yet)

Just my 0.00000002, or "advice from a noob"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
The question is how many different units can fire at one OW trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
OW fire follows the basic rules of firing:

Quote:
(4.4.2)
Overwatch Fire is resolved under the same rules and limitations as
described for Direct Fire

and

Quote:
(4.4.1)
All fire on a single opposing vehicle must be announced before
any fire is resolved. If that target vehicle is eliminated before
all the announced vehicles have fired, they are assumed to still
have fired at the announced target. They may not then shift their
fire to a new target.

therefore...

As many eligible units (can spot, marked with OW, etc) as you want can fire on a single unit as a result of a trigger, but all shots must be declared before any are resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Sola Ramos
Spain
Pilar de la Horadada
Alicante
flag msg tools
The Panzer Pusher gives you prestige!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d2necro wrote:
As many eligible units (can spot, marked with OW, etc) as you want can fire on a single unit as a result of a trigger, but all shots must be declared before any are resolved.

Peter is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mb
Implied Triggers?

I'm still grappling with the idea of implied OW triggers. I suspect that idea is fallacious. It's probably better to consider only actual movement or fire [perhaps including fire of smoke projectors] but _not_ just everything that requires a Move, Fire, or SH Command. It bothers me to use as triggers the actions units take to seek cover, pivot in place, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
d2necro wrote:
OW fire follows the basic rules of firing:

Quote:
(4.4.2)
Overwatch Fire is resolved under the same rules and limitations as
described for Direct Fire

and

Quote:
(4.4.1)
All fire on a single opposing vehicle must be announced before
any fire is resolved. If that target vehicle is eliminated before
all the announced vehicles have fired, they are assumed to still
have fired at the announced target. They may not then shift their
fire to a new target.

therefore...

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nhudge wrote:
Implied Triggers?

I'm still grappling with the idea of implied OW triggers. I suspect that idea is fallacious. It's probably better to consider only actual movement or fire [perhaps including fire of smoke projectors] but _not_ just everything that requires a Move, Fire, or SH Command. It bothers me to use as triggers the actions units take to seek cover, pivot in place, etc.

I keep stating that the rules are very specific. It's either stated or not. If the intent was to trigger Overwatch Fire for smoke dischargers, placing or removing full cover, pivoting (note that vehicles don't pivot), etc. it would be stated as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mb
Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pelkey
United States
Wallkill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mongoose27 wrote:
pivoting (note that vehicles don't pivot)

Wait, what? "Vehicles turn by pivoting in place and then moving in a new direction". Now I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That describes what the player does with the counter, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomlad wrote:
Wait, what? "Vehicles turn by pivoting in place and then moving in a new direction". Now I'm confused.

I'm speaking in game terms. Leg and towed units pivot (see 6.8.1); vehicles turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
mongoose27 wrote:
Atomlad wrote:

I'm speaking in game terms. Leg and towed units pivot (see 6.8.1); vehicles turn.

Does the free turn at the beginning of a move trigger Overwatch? Or must movement points be spent to trigger Overwatch?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Morgan Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:

Does the free turn at the beginning of a move trigger Overwatch? Or must movement points be spent to trigger Overwatch?

Many thanks!

Yes, and then, no.

See 4.5, paragraph 4. Overwatch can happen anytime during Movement.

In fact - see "4.5.1.1.8 No Move Moves" - even you do not move, having a Move or Short Halt Command triggers Overwatch. So just having a Move or Short Halt Command triggers Overwatch without spending any MPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks! Been playing it right. But my ASL background keeps trying to influence my understanding of rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.