Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if a dice is stored on a spell card does a player only roll the dice thats left eg. 5 green if 1 green is on the spell from the previous player?

Also , some monster chits seem to have blank squares on them. Are these squares ignored or need to be filled by any die result?

Again, when a player gets rewarded with a monster do they keep the monster for the trophy or is it put in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
So if a dice is stored on a spell card does a player only roll the dice thats left eg. 5 green if 1 green is on the spell from the previous player?

A player can take a die secured on a spell to add it to his dice pool and reroll it, according he is eligible to roll such a die (so: if the secured die is green, you can take the die and reroll it; if it's yellow or red, you need to spend an item to gain that die; if it's white, you need to be Blessed to take it); a player can use a result locked on a spell any time he wants, even if he's not entitled to roll such a die (thus, if you wanna use a red / yellow / white result secured on a spell - hence, not reroll the die - you may, and you mustn't spend items or be blessed to do so)

rougebladez wrote:
Also , some monster chits seem to have blank squares on them. Are these squares ignored or need to be filled by any die result?

If a result is to be spent, then the specific result is depicted on the monster chit. Thus, a cultist for example, needs only one die to be spent in order to be defeated

rougebladez wrote:
Again, when a player gets rewarded with a monster do they keep the monster for the trophy or is it put in play?

The player keeps the trophy unless there are specific instructions on the back of the token

Monsters listed among rewards and penalties of an adventure are always put in play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:

rougebladez wrote:

The player keeps the trophy unless there are specific instructions on the back of the token

i think that was a misinterpretation: if an Adventure has a Monster in the Reward space, winning that adventure forces you to bring a monster into play, not to take one into your inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

rougebladez wrote:

i think that was a misinterpretation: if an Adventure has a Monster in the Reward space, winning that adventure forces you to bring a monster into play, not to take one into your inventory.

Sorry, I thought he asked about taking the trophy after passing the monster task. Indeed, if a monster is listed in the rewards or penalty section of the adventure, then that monster is put into play, following the normal rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monsters enter play. That's fine. Thanks. Seeing as it's under the awards I thought it might go into inventory for spending at a later stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
Seeing as it's under the awards I thought it might go into inventory for spending at a later stage.

FWIW, it never occurred to me to interpret it that way until you mentioned it, but now that you do, that does seem to me like a perfectly valid interpretation of the symbols. (It is, however, not the right interpretation.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
rougebladez wrote:
Seeing as it's under the awards I thought it might go into inventory for spending at a later stage.

FWIW, it never occurred to me to interpret it that way until you mentioned it, but now that you do, that does seem to me like a perfectly valid interpretation of the symbols. (It is, however, not the right interpretation.)

I wouldn't be surprised if that interperetation of the doom token in the rewards for the base game (ONLY) made people go "Wait, what?!" when they first appeared. If you just have the base game, you GAIN a doom token as a reward, leading to some confusion if that lead to a simultaneous summoning and sealing of the Ancient one and it took an FAQ to make it official you win.(You end up flipping it off and slamming a door in its face, officially, winning the game in the milliseconds before it reaches the gate it was sealed it). In expansions, there are now specific symbols when you remove a doom token or a monster, Starting with Unseen Forces for the DT and Gates of Arkham for monsters. Yep, no tasks in the museum will kill a monster as a reward (and in GOA it will just return the monster to the cup, you don't gain it as a trophy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I may have played the dice of other colours than green on spells wrong, after reading this.

I was always thinking that if I spend an item to get the yellow or red die, or if I'm blessed, the appropriate die is placed on the spell. Then, if I want to save the die for another player to use, the die is already active to be used, no matter if that player would use an item or not. I always thought that it would be "active" to any player (because a spell that is already cast is in the ownership of everyone in the game, not just the player who cast the spell), and that you don't have to use another item once the die is on the spell to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I may have played the dice of other colours than green on spells wrong, after reading this.

I was always thinking that if I spend an item to get the yellow or red die, or if I'm blessed, the appropriate die is placed on the spell. Then, if I want to save the die for another player to use, the die is already active to be used, no matter if that player would use an item or not. I always thought that it would be "active" to any player (because a spell that is already cast is in the ownership of everyone in the game, not just the player who cast the spell), and that you don't have to use another item once the die is on the spell to get it.

Remember though that it's the die result that is actually locked by the spell, not necessarily the die itself. So while you can freely use a spell locked red die result, you cannot freely take the die and add it to your dice pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
0616william wrote:

Remember though that it's the die result that is actually locked by the spell, not necessarily the die itself. So while you can freely use a spell locked red die result, you cannot freely take the die and add it to your dice pool.

According to the revised rules, you MAY pick up a die to add it to your die pool before you start resolving an adventure. To directly quote the rule:

Quote:
When a die is secured on a Spell Card, it remains there until any player chooses to use it to complete a task, removes it from the spell to roll it, or another effect locks that die

It can be helpful to remove a die from a spell to re-roll it when the game mainly has tasks that don't require that die result on the available adventures. Of course, you can always museum map one of the adventures away if you must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
It can be helpful to remove a die from a spell to re-roll it when the game mainly has tasks that don't require that die result on the available adventures. Of course, you can always museum map one of the adventures away if you must.

Yes, but you can't take a secured red or yellow and roll it, unless you spend the item. I think this was clarified also recently? Mark or Chuck could help me here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
lomdr wrote:

Yes, but you can't take a secured red or yellow and roll it, unless you spend the item. I think this was clarified also recently? Mark or Chuck could help me here

Was going off of the base game rules, I think that yeah, you would have to spend the matching card in order to remove a yellow/red from a spell to reroll. It does look like you can use it to complete tasks. Going off of the rules of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
lomdr wrote:

Sorry for the delay, assuming I'm the Mark you meant...

(Your casting of "Summon Xipuloxx" has been successful, but time warps and twists where such beings are concerned.)

Yes, once a die has been secured on a spell, anyone can use the result that was secured, but if they want to reroll it they must have that die in their pool.

So to reroll the red or yellow die you need to spend an item or use some other special ability that allows you to roll that die. To reroll the white die (from Unseen Forces) you need to be blessed.

This was officially confirmed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
lomdr wrote:

(Your casting of "Summon Xipuloxx" has been successful, but time warps and twists where such beings are concerned.)

Yes, once a die has been secured on a spell, anyone can use the result that was secured, but if they want to reroll it they must have that die in their pool.

So to reroll the red or yellow die you need to spend an item or use some other special ability that allows you to roll that die. To reroll the white die (from Unseen Forces) you need to be blessed.

Yup, Mark beat me to it. Sorry for the late response. My tinfoil hat blocks most all summoning spells and it's been a long week. Mark is of course spot on though and right there with the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
lomdr wrote:

I figured as much. Played it again on Monday and I taught it as "If you want to take off the special dice from a spell and re-roll it, you must discard a card that grants that die or use the proper ability/skill to do so". Going off of how the White die can be secured and then lost for Unseen Forces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
lomdr wrote:

Yup, Mark beat me to it. Sorry for the late response. My tinfoil hat blocks most all summoning spells and it's been a long week. Mark is of course spot on though and right there with the link!

thanks for the thread reference, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.