Popular Tags: [View All]
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
Good Day to all

I have not posted here for years as the dark side has taken me (miniatures war-games, and specifically Bloody Big Battles and my work on the Balkan Wars scenarios for it). That said I have used both DG Balkan Wars and Napoleon's Triumph as a teaching aid, so hopefully that makes up a bit for the situation.

I am looking to purchase a World War 1 war-game, preferably at the strategic, theater, or operational level. I would like a game that could be played with 2-5 players (even if it is made for two), and in which one could play a good full game to decision in 2-3 hours (time I fear is the tyrant here).

Preferred theme is land warfare, or the war as a whole.

With Respect
Konstantinos Travlos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although very much at the lighter end of the scale, Quartermaster General: 1914 will play up to 5 in a couple of hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lamps Are Going Out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The First World War might be a good choice for you. It is really easy and can take 2-4 players (though 4 is best). It does lean heavily to the game end of the spectrum versus the simulation side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Red Poppies Campaigns: The Battles for Ypres is tactical, but really good. Plays quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I energetically recommend The Lamps Are Going Out! The card play really enhances the already solid game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatal Alliances: The Great War and To The Last Man!.
And then, A Fatal Attraction: The Gallipoli Campaign and Guns of the Askari.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcairol wrote:

Fatal Alliances- 2-3 hours? 2-3 weeks maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Price Glory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:

What he said. Cheap too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
These are excellent suggestion, and I am looking forward to more. I used to have The First World War, and while I loved the battle and movement mechanism, the victory conditions and special chits left me cold. Another note, I will probably use the game I get as a teaching aid as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be showing my age here but I still have a soft spot for SPI's ancient World War I from S&T 52. I think it was updated in issue 294 but the one I haul out is the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
Not at all, it is one of those I considered. I have their Balkan Wars game, which is the same system I believe. The problem was that it was almost impossible for the students to grasp it fully, and despite significant simplification we were not able to finish the game in 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy Start with the historical allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A strategic game that I'm really enjoying is:Balance of Powers

Which reminds me that I need to get my response for an ongoing game.

If you are looking for a more tactical game I would loot at Strafexpedition 1916.

Lastly for me the best operationa/strategic series on WW1 is Der Weltkrieg Series

Another well regarded series is the 1914 series:
1914: Twilight in the East
1914: Offensive à outrance
1914: Serbien Muss Sterbien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Trenchzone you get to ask if your opponent would like change for half a company; but look at the ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:

If you are looking for a more tactical game I would loot at Strafexpedition 1916.

Lastly for me the best operationa/strategic series on WW1 is Der Weltkrieg Series

So the OP wants a 2-3 hour game. With the possible exception of the tactical game, these games are all well in excess of that with 1914: Offensive à outrance coming in at a massive 17,280 minute play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
Yes. While I do appreciate the suggestions, and have drooled about those games, considering my job, and retirement prospects, me and my mates will not have that time until well in our 80s or 90s. Half a century from now .My students would probably mutiny at the prospect of a game that lasts more than 2.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
[q="jeb123"]A strategic game that I'm really enjoying is:Balance of Powersq]

Could you tell me a bout play time? On the BG page it has it varying from the very acceptable to this will not work for me I fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KTravlos wrote:
[q="jeb123"]A strategic game that I'm really enjoying is:Balance of Powersq]

Could you tell me a bout play time? On the BG page it has it varying from the very acceptable to this will not work for me I fear.

The small scenarios will be playable within your time frame but the bigger ones... no way. Haven't played it yet so I can't comment how good those small scenarios are although I got the impression that they are considered to be pretty good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

If time is the most important consideration QMG World War One is the way to go. Lamps are Going out could be completed by quick experienced player in 4-5 hours and would give you a much better sense of WW!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much fun as The Lamps Are Going Out is (and its a lot of fun) it does not play more than 3 very well (IMO) as the Russian player has almost nothing to do each turn. At least the Central Powers player has some more interesting choices.

More importantly, I don't think its remotely possible to complete a game in 2-3 hrs. Double that and you are in the right ballpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
Okay everyone I went over your suggestions. And they were all quite good.

2 Player Card Based games are out. My experience from Twilight Struggle has taught me that if the game does not on purpose build a multiplayer card mechanic (ala Strike of the Eagle) its hard to make them multiplayer. QMG:1914 is a bit too much on the game side for me.

I am focusing on To the Last Man (2-3 players), The Lamps are Going Out (2-4 Players) and classic hex and counter games (which are easy to multi-play). Old version of World War 1, and Strafexpedition 1916. Also if you know any hex and counter games that you think would play faster with more than 2 players, please make suggestions.

For Balance of Powers I would really like to hear more about the smaller scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
skimmed the rules. Man they all look good. Balance of Power's looks like the GAME to play WW1 at the grand strategy level. However I felt that there might be too much chrome.

The Lamps are going Out and To the Last Man, both look like really nice games with manageable chrome. Strafexpedition 1916 looks like a solid traditional wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

So the OP wants a 2-3 hour game. With the possible exception of the tactical game, these games are all well in excess of that with 1914: Offensive à outrance coming in at a massive 17,280 minute play time.

You don't have to play the campaign game for each of these games. I know for a fact that the Der Weltkrieg scenarios can be played in 2/3 hours because I've done it. I know Ballance of power has a scenarios that are a few turns.

I have not played any of the 1914 games but they also have scenarios which I would expect can be played in a few hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.