7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Storage solutions - battlefoam? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a storage solution for all my KDM models, or at least for the huge number of survivors (nearly 50 and counting...) and the smaller monsters. Obviously it would nice to package the Dragon King and Phoenix (and the Gorm, Sunstalker, etc) but I' m not sure that's feasible.

Has anyone use Battlefoam for this, or similar? Any strong suggestions for alternatives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started off with the Battlefoam PACK 720 and pluck foam trays. It works very well in terms and is relatively space efficient.

Unfortunately, once you get into the expansion content the amount of stuff you have to store balloons up and some of the models take a large amount of space (i.e. spidicules) so aren't efficient to store. I now own two Battlefoam PACK 720s and will need a 3rd once I complete the build for some of the final expansion monsters...

I highly recommend creating a custom foam core storage solution using the plans found in the files section. It'll let you fit all of the tokens, cards and books in the core box in an organized fashion that really helps during gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core box is filled with cards etc from all the expansions. One of the things tempting me to go for company foam Iis the bags and cases.

So I have all the expansions. I am resigned to the spidicules (not yet assembled) being impossible...

How much do pluck foam trays hold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Cline
msg tools
I use an old warmachine battlefoam. It works well enough, have several smaller monsters and plenty of survivors. I also used foamboard and made boxes and trays to fit in it as well to keep it mobile. Just can't fit super large monsters and the game board and hunt table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Wilke
United States
Ferndale
Washington
flag msg tools
I have both battle foam and KR multi case. I'd recommend going KR as you can get cases specifically for each expansion, and the soft blue foam they use inside will be nicer on the models.

That said the reason I have battle foam and love it is for the custom cuts and my warhammer 40k army. Also when I was starting out KR unit cases were only one size and not deep enough.

Building Krunits, the sections of foam for each bag, is like learning a specific language but starts to make sense the more you do it. The website has printable files so you can actually see the physical space for a tray, I found this super helpful. Final point is that as KR comes in a storage type box that is perfectly serviceable as transport by itself you can come out more cost efficient for a project like this.

I have not personally built enough of the minis to invest in casing my collection yet. Top tip regardless of system, use hot glue and plucked foam to build custom supported holes for models like spidicules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I wouldn't do Battlefoam. Waaay too expensive. Here's my storage solution. Big, yes. Bulky, yes. Safe and secure. Yes. Room for more expansions, yes. Not too expensive, yes.

https://goo.gl/fnJbN7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely satisfied with the Battlefoam storage because it's not efficient for storing KDM's survivor minis using a pluck-foam load out. Not only that, but the way I've stored the minis (standing up in the foam) make it almost impossible to identify them individually without lifting them out.

I happened to watch Rodney Smith's product overview for the "A-case" the day after I posted the reply above & ended up ordering a case.

Surprisingly, it arrived from Poland to Canada 4 days later and I have to say -- it's a much better storage solution than using battle foam. I'll be able to store all of my survivor minis in a single case that's 1/5 the size of the PACK 720. It's more work because I have to drill a hole in the bases to add a magnet, but well worth it. Plus, now all of my minis are highly visible so I can easily pick one out of a crowd.

Sure, you can do all of this yourself for cheap but if you're like me and don't like or don't have time to tinker, this is a good option.

Now, all that being said you still need somewhere to store the large monsters since the A-case is fairly small. I'll be sticking with Battlefoam for those.

Food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.