Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's one thing about the wargaming hobby today but you never would've believed 30 years ago?

A few caveats...
Keep it positive
And...

Case Blue...obviously...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
...one thing about the wargaming hobby today but you never would've believed 30 years ago?

How many complete and total asshats there are in the hobby.

And yes, just to be clear, I'm including myself in that number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 30 years, I would never have believed that I'd be more into wargaming than I was back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is still exists? Or perhaps just that so many games are being released. This applies to boardgaming on the whole. Wasn't it all supposed to be video games now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
I would never have believed that I'd be more into wargaming than I was back then.

Shhh! That's supposed to be a secret. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirty years ago I was two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That it's bigger and better than ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
What's one thing about the wargaming hobby today but you never would've believed 30 years ago?

That we could have instant access to order of battle information, official military documents, practically any copyright-free history book we might care to read, and magnificent maps like this...

http://www.igmi.org/ancient/immagine.php?cod=13239

...in the comfort and privacy of our living rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
Case Blue...obviously...

How dare you preempt my chance to say "Case Blue!"

Seriously though, in my area is the influx of very young people interested in wargaming; young men from 16 to 20. They are also uninterested in the standard gateway games they want to go straight to GCACW, GBOH, and (much to my delight!) Advanced Squad Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised that it is still primarily a paper based hobby. Back in the 80's with SSI and SSG I would have guessed that hybrid computer assisted games would be the predominant method of playing a game.

Conversely, I am amazed at the sheer volume of games that continue to be produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
hybrid computer assisted games would be the predominant method of playing a game.

Are you referring to the games with apps like XCOM: The Board Game? I know XCOM isn't a wargame but the Ameri-trash crowd (who the game seemed geared towards) wasn't all that thrilled with its implementation. I have played it and it felt a but more like a gimmick than an actual integral part of the game; it wasn't a bad game but I didn't see it adding anything exceptional to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of....

I would have guessed that by now games would have had some sort of utility that would have done some of the heavy lifting that we are loathe to do. I think of the old Operation Crusader game by GDW. Was a great idea but would have benefited from some utility to handle its cool subsystems like:

- Fog of War
- Supply Consumption
- Combat calculations
- Navigation
- Etc.

In a game like Combat Commander it would also perform line of sight calculations, hindrance modifiers, etc.

Vassal is nice but it takes a paper designed game and puts it in a digital format. I was thinking that (by now) there would be games that would be built as a hybrid from the onset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. Just for clarification, I am not talking about AI.... Just a way to make the games better simulations without encumbering the players with too many logistical considerations to process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they could make the learning curve nice and low I'd think that would be a good thing. However, to maintain the realism that most of us crave, I'd think any program would be necessarily complex and defeat the convenience of having it in the first place. If it took as long to learn a program as it does to learn the rules I'm not sure it would be worth it.

If there was something that could take away LOS considerations, odds figuring and the rest of the minutiae we deal with that would be great! It would definitely take someone smarter than me to come up with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This is the only look at me you will get. The first hint the bad guy gets that I am nearby will be the sound of the torpedo coming out of his baffles with high up-doppler.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 1980s I would have found it hard to believe that 30 years later I would still own all the games that I was playing then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zigihogan wrote:
gamesontables wrote:
Case Blue...obviously...

How dare you preempt my chance to say "Case Blue!"

Seriously though, in my area is the influx of very young people interested in wargaming; young men from 16 to 20. They are also uninterested in the standard gateway games they want to go straight to GCACW, GBOH, and (much to my delight!) Advanced Squad Leader
(emphasis mine)

Whoa, can you point them my way? I'm the only one I know at all close by!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That game design would get so effing cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never would have believed that ASL would still be the best game out there...wait, yea i would have believed that,ok nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That wargame designs would get so slick and playable. There are a lot of slick, playable games nowadays....I love the old SPI classic hex and counter stuff, but it almost seems from a different world in some ways from a lot of the more modern designs. Even the current day hex and counter stuff seems much more modern. (because it is, of course - standing on the shoulders of giants and all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not have believed that I'd be still pushing around some of the same counters I was 30 years ago--and still enjoying those games as much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Gastonia,
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never would have believed that I could play so many wargames with other wargamers almost anywhere in the world via the internet. Lack of opponents not an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zigihogan wrote:
TedW wrote:
hybrid computer assisted games would be the predominant method of playing a game.

Are you referring to the games with apps like XCOM: The Board Game? I know XCOM isn't a wargame but the Ameri-trash crowd (who the game seemed geared towards) wasn't all that thrilled with its implementation. I have played it and it felt a but more like a gimmick than an actual integral part of the game; it wasn't a bad game but I didn't see it adding anything exceptional to the game.

Agreed. It just speeds play rather than adding anything.

Mansions of Madness 2e, however, does some cool stuff to make that game insanely fun and different every time I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Caw, Caw..., Caw! (If you spoke Raven, you would think that was hilarious)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you asked me 30 years ago, I would've been sure that war-gaming would all be on computers by now and that it wouldn't even still exist in paper, cardboard, and wood block forms.

And I never would've thought the industry and the hobby would be flourishing the way it is.

Of course in 1986, I didn't foresee tablets, smartphones, or the internet either. I did kind of see MP3 players coming, but I was off in some of the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being 4 years old 30 years ago... I wouldn't had a single clue what you guys were talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.