Subject: Do tokens go to the graveyard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Koehn
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the title bar pretty much sums it up; specifically I was wondering in the case of Marionette Master which reads:
"Fabricate 3 (When this creature enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on it, or three 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature tokens.)
Whenever an artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, target opponet losses life equal to Marionette Master's power."
If you place the Servos for her fabricate ability, when they are destroyed or sacrificed do they trigger her ability?
Thanks in advance. -Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Koehn
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also do Clue tokens trigger her ability when you sacrifice them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am far from a judge but here is the best answer I could give without looking it up. Tokens that are destroyed by any effect, combat, spell or ability, is removed from the battlefield and "enters" the graveyard where (for lack of a better word) it disappears, it doesn't remain in the graveyard.

Tokens can't be the targets of spells or abilities that effect cards in graveyards as they don't remain in the graveyard. So in other words, they couldn't be returned from the graveyard to the battlefield.

This is far from a definitive answer and anyone more knowledgeable than I could explain the timing a bit better...I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zigi's answer is accurate. It a token is moved to any zone other than the battlefield, it goes to that zone then immediately ceases to exist. Servos and Clues going to grave do, indeed, trigger Marionette Master's ability.

Here's the relevant Comprehensive Rules entry:

110.5f A token that’s phased out, or that’s in a zone other than the battlefield, ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all three questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.