Subject: Cooperative? Not cooperative? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Wehrum
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

So, I watched the video and read the rules. The "true goal" of peace between the two opponents came as a pleasant surprise to me and is incredibly cute, but I am unsure what it means for the game itself.

Are players still playing against each other, fully trying to win, and reaching true peace instead of just winning is a nice coincidence?

Or instead are players supposed to balance winning and losing battles so that they can achieve true peace, thereby playing cooperatively?

Cheers,
Tobias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Tyrants always claim they desire nothing but peace; only they insist their enemies bear the full weight of achieving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legato wrote:
Are players still playing against each other, fully trying to win, and reaching true peace instead of just winning is a nice coincidence?

Or instead are players supposed to balance winning and losing battles so that they can achieve true peace, thereby playing cooperatively?

To answer that question is part of the point with this game. You don't want to lose, but you don't want to win either. It's actually quite beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wehrum
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mainly asking because I want to know if

a) the game is fun when treated as pure fighting game and

b) if "true peace" is an interesting and difficult to reach goal when cooperating (and how much cooperation is okay?) or if it's more of a story-based goal that would be too easy to reach if both players cooperate in any form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legato wrote:
I'm mainly asking because I want to know if

a) the game is fun when treated as pure fighting game

Yeah, decently enough.

Legato wrote:
b) if "true peace" is an interesting and difficult to reach goal when cooperating (and how much cooperation is okay?) or if it's more of a story-based goal that would be too easy to reach if both players cooperate in any form.

Interesting yes, difficult yes.

And cooperation shouldn't be on the level "Okay, so if you lose this one, and then I can take that one, then you get that many points, and could you get rid of this, and I'll play a 1 so I'll auto-lose this, and then you can play". It should be on the level "trying to discern what the other one is doing, and what he/she can achieve, and try to mitigate".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wehrum
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

So the spirit to play this game in would be: We both agree beforehand that we want to reach true peace, but then we don't talk about strategy, our cards or goals while the game is going on - instead we try to just balance things out with our actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legato wrote:
Thanks!

So the spirit to play this game in would be: We both agree beforehand that we want to reach true peace, but then we don't talk about strategy, our cards or goals while the game is going on - instead we try to just balance things out with our actions?

Yes, that is what you should do, really. The two leaders of the game want to achieve – in the end – true peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wehrum
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really curious how that'll play like. After all, normally people talk about a game while it's going on and enforced silence feels a bit artificial - but I like the theme and the game looks interesting, so I guess I'll risk that.

Either way, thanks a lot for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legato wrote:
I'm really curious how that'll play like.

Kuro's constantly experimenting. His designs are often weird and crazy. Not all are polished through, but they're usually very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.