Subject: Most Dynamic two player game out there!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Moffett
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

When I was younger I used to play a lot of Magic the Gathering. It was awesome, but also a huge drain on my wallet. Is there a two player game (card or board) that is really fun with killer replay value (that won't make me dip into my life savings) for my wife and I? We own 7 wonders duel, Jaipur, and Android Netrunner for two player games. We quite enjoy the first two but honestly, I didn't really like Netrunner that much. Maybe I am dreaming to think that I could purchase a game that has variation like Magic but not paying out the nose for it. What does everyone think? I know of titles like Star realms, Lost Cities, Patchwork, and some of the two player versions of games (Agricola, Le Havre, etc.) but I wonder if those will grow old quickly... I know this is a hard nail to hit. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks! Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Academy should be up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends
Neuroshima Hex!
Duel of Ages II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Card Game ? ? ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolver has a ton of replay value if you invest in its expansions. You can customize your decks prior to playing, and if your wife is okay with that, this is an excellent choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moffettt wrote:
Hey guys,

When I was younger I used to play a lot of Magic the Gathering. It was awesome, but also a huge drain on my wallet. Is there a two player game (card or board) that is really fun with killer replay value (that won't make me dip into my life savings) for my wife and I? We own 7 wonders duel, Jaipur, and Android Netrunner for two player games. We quite enjoy the first two but honestly, I didn't really like Netrunner that much. Maybe I am dreaming to think that I could purchase a game that has variation like Magic but not paying out the nose for it. What does everyone think? I know of titles like Star realms, Lost Cities, Patchwork, and some of the two player versions of games (Agricola, Le Havre, etc.) but I wonder if those will grow old quickly... I know this is a hard nail to hit. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks! Happy gaming!

Here's a geeklist of games my wife and I have enjoyed over the years; several may meet your specifics . . .

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/you-and-me-and-cof...

Also, tonight my wife and I played Evolution: The Beginning for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a simplified version of Evolution, but it doesn't lose much from the older game. We've played Evolution: Random Mutations, and while it is good, I think we'll be playing Evolution: The Beginning more.

I also can't say enough about Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. And while it's great by itself, we've added Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – Even More Buildings Big and Small, which adds a lots more buildings for endless variety/replayability with no randomness once the game has started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set
There are 2 expansions that are only available as print and play, and will be available as "printed" in a few months. And that's the whole game. No other things to purchase.
The starter set is available as a free p'n'p if you want to try it and see if it appeals to you. (It is a 1 hero mode. In the "full" game you play 3 heroes. But I think it gives a good idea of the gameplay.)

Also Neuroshima Hex!, I think it is a great suggestion.
I play mostly on my phone. Maybe you can check out the app? If I remember correctly the basic version is free.

HTH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asante/ Jambo
I read a long time ago that R. Dorn was inspired by Magic the Gathering when he designed "Jambo" (and later "Asante")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about Dice Masters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lazov
Macedonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Seasons , plays very very good with 2 and you can also play it with 3-4. Has card and dice drafting and you play cards that have special abilities. The game play is just amazing and the base game offers tons of replayability with option of 2 more expansions. So far I have just played the base game with my wife most of the time as 2 player and I am far from bored.

Another one I highly suggest is Race for the Galaxy, the strategies are many, plays very fast with 2 players, and the replayability is off the roof!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go for infinite depth, even though it may not look like it, the best 2p game I've ever played is definitely Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends, although RftG mentioned above me is close too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although we play Innovation with 3, a lot of people prefer it with 2 players. Very dynamic, various ways to win, and has a unique splaying mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely have to go with Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends as well. This is by far the game I have spent the most time with over the past 2 years (about 100 hours, excluding online games) and i am still exited every time I get it to the table.

If "Dynamic" is what you are after, I don't think there a game more fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ares Project

Great 2 player game. 4 factions that each play differently, and each match-up has its own dynamic. My favorite dueling game (besides mtg). Simulates a computer RTS game. Not actually "real time" but fast back and forth turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the suggestions have focused on games that are MtG-like, while others are just great 2p games.

If you want the former, look into the Mage Wars series (either Academy or Arena), Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set (can pre-order), arguably Seasons has some common elements, but there is more going on in that game.

Some people would also add Summoner Wars to that list. I list it separately just to point out that I hate that game and would never recommend it myself.

R___ for the Galaxy is also an excellent game, one of my favorite of all time, be it in the card incarnation of Race or the dice implementation of Roll.

You might also try one of the other LCGs from Fantasy Flight. AGoT's second edition is pretty new, so you're kinda getting in on the ground floor there. And there are plenty others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K____ wrote:
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set
There are 2 expansions that are only available as print and play, and will be available as "printed" in a few months. And that's the whole game. No other things to purchase.
The starter set is available as a free p'n'p if you want to try it and see if it appeals to you. (It is a 1 hero mode. In the "full" game you play 3 heroes. But I think it gives a good idea of the gameplay.)

Don't get me wrong, I think Codex looks really interesting, and I am considering buying into it. But the entry cost for the complete base game (i.e. the Deluxe set) seems to be 225$. To me, that is not exactly "variation like Magic but not paying out the nose for it" (OP). And yeah, you could just buy the core set and run with it, plenty of fun to have with what's in it. Just not "plenty" as in "you could play this and only this for the rest of your life". And then, you could also do this for Netrunner, Mage Wars, Dice Masters or any other game like these out there. Again, not hating on Sirlin or Codex, I just don't see the revolution some fans seem to see.

To the OP: I love Netrunner. My wife hates it, and every game like this with a passion. She is just not into figuring out new decks, and honestly, this and having a group that also enjoys this is like 75% of the game, and that will be the same for most CCGs/LCGs or any game with the possibility to optimize and build your deck in some way. I am not sure if the recommendations in this thread are not steering in a completely wrong direction by starting with Netrunner (which you didn't like) and Magic (which you mentioned as a point of reference for a costly lifestyle game). Part of the question for me would be: does your wife like games like Magic at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
ricottma wrote:

This is precisely what the OP is looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ricottma wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Islebound

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
ricottma wrote:

This is precisely what the OP is looking for.

If you both like drafting decks you could get a lot of gameplay out of a small, comparatively cheap box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage wars arena
Epic card game
Smash up
summoner wars

You could also just use the Magic the gathering pre-constructed commander decks. As a former magic player myself I highly suggest all of the above games. They all have deep strategy in ways that I don't miss magic at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My missus can not get enough of Peloponnes at the moment.
+ 1 for Summoner Wars too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Tash Kalar recommendations.

As others have said, Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set is truly outstanding, and I really do find it to be MTG in a box, except better, because every game is a good matchup as oppose to Rock/Paper/Scissors that a lot of MTG amounts to.

The Codex Deluxe set is a touch expensive, but right now you could pre-order all the Codex cards at either Cool stuff inc, or Miniature market for a lot less. I good value. The only downside is that you wouldn't get the extra binders and playmats.

I would really recommend checking out a number of David Sirlin (designer of Codex) games. He has a lot of incredible two player games. This is actually his niche, he's interested in games that can be played at really high level of nuanced play in tournaments and such. His games really offer a lot to dissect, matches to learn and such.
I recommend:
Yomi (second edition) Card game in the spirit of a 2D fighting game, think Street Fighter the card game.

Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) a great deck building game where you can actually out-play your opponent, very dynamic and absolutely NOT multiplayer solitaire like a lot of deck building games are.

Flash Duel: Second Edition A super quick game that really offers a surprising amount of depth and fun.

I understand why people recommend Epic Card game, it fell flat for me. I prefer living card games like Star Wars: The Card Game or A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition), or one of the above games form something contained in a single box.

A completely other realm of incredible two player games which you might enjoy, are not card games but games of Richard Borg's Command and Colors system:
Memoir '44
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Commands & Colors: Napoleonics
BattleLore (Second Edition)
Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition
One of the strengths of these games is that there are an incredible number of scenarios out there, so you could really play a new scenario everytime you play, and the basic rules are fairly simple and consistent from scenario to scenario. And because of the number of scenarios, these games always feel new and fresh. A game played in one of these is a good game every time. This is something I really look for in a good two player game. How frequently was it a good game where each player had options, and it came down to strategy and tactics, as oppose to simply favorable matchups. (Admittedly the Living Card Games frequently come down to favorable matchup as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Game Design Theory Lover !!!
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised no one has said any of the games from the BattleCon series yet. Sure it is more of a street fighter type game than dueling mages, but if theme is irrelevant to the OP it is a great game to look into. Yes I love this game, yes I will rave about, and yes I will stop going off on how great the game is and leave a link to the titles below...

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines - has the most variety
BattleCON: War of Indines - is considered the best entry point and considered the most balanced if you get the remastered edition
BattleCON: Fate of Indines - lowest price point, but not the best entry point
BattleCon Trials is on Kickstarter now, and there are 6 days still to go.

The issue that I have with Epic Card Game is that there is not a lot of variety to the game once you really get down to it. Sure Epic is cheap, and the OP may as well get it if he loves magic; however, there is no where near the variety to the game. It is good for a quick Magic fix sure, but there is not a lot in the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.