Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Should Trade Agreements have different resource values? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a missed opportunity IMHO but I think the trade agreements should have been not just different quantities of red but also have different values per race. Like Federation trade agreements may have more research and Romulans would have no research but maybe a culture and two other production trades. What do you think they should have been?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I think the Ferengi will have something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
Just a missed opportunity IMHO but I think the trade agreements should have been not just different quantities of red but also have different values per race. Like Federation trade agreements may have more research and Romulans would have no research but maybe a culture and two other production trades. What do you think they should have been?

i thought the same thing at first but the more i think about it the more i think they were right. culture would be too powerful, research might be nice though.

but really production is a combination of materials and ecconomic resources so i find it very appropriate that trade agreements give production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Marinealver wrote:

i thought the same thing at first but the more i think about it the more i think they were right. culture would be too powerful, research might be nice though.

but really production is a combination of materials and ecconomic resources so i find it very appropriate that trade agreements give production.

I agree Culture is probably the most valuable resource and it is what pushes you to victory. The only race I think could have culture is a Romulan with only 1 culture because they don't trade very well with their suspicious drawback.

For Romulans I can see a 1 red, 2 red and 1 yellow.
Federation I can see 1 blue 1 blue and 1 red and 1 blue and 3 red
Klingons I think the 1 2 3 reds work good enough. Maybe a 1 blue and 2 red trade.

Ferengie possibly has only blue and maybe 1 single yellow.
Cardasians might be for red and some blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a "missed opportunity". Trade generates resources which are the lynchpin for other needed commodities including culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I could have seen an early build having something like:

Trade 1: 3 Production
Trade 2: 2 Research
Trade 3: 1 culture

But they probably wanted to streamline and simplify it. It's a lot harder to decide which is better, given the options above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
given that some races advancements give research on top of the production of trade agreements already, its already a limited option.

culture is definitely too valuable to trade unless you would allow an exchange rate, say pay 5 production for 1 culture and max once per turn, so if you have the production to burn you can get some additional culture but not too strongly.

though i could see a 4th trade agreement for 1 research only or 1 research and 1 production.

2 research would be too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
given that some races advancements give research on top of the production of trade agreements already, its already a limited option.

culture is definitely too valuable to trade unless you would allow an exchange rate, say pay 5 production for 1 culture and max once per turn, so if you have the production to burn you can get some additional culture but not too strongly.

though i could see a 4th trade agreement for 1 research only or 1 research and 1 production.

2 research would be too powerful.

Maybe they could have kept the 1 and 2 production as simple trades and the 3 production be a 1 culture for romulans and 1 research and 1 production for federation. Well there is always house rules but I can see the idea in simplicity. However I think making factions less simplified could help with the RNG. But yeah I understand. Ferengi would only want production anyways since they are all about making profit into culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also considered it at first, but from what I have seen I'd say no for 2 reasons:

1) The Ferengi DO look like they will be able to trade Research as well as Production (they ARE the traders of the quadrant afterall!)

2) Don't forget the Federation have an advancement that upgrades all their trade agreements to generate 1 Research for both parties involved (i.e.: if trading with 1 race, both the Fed's and their "ally" gain 1 Research as well. If trading with 2 races, all their allies gain 1 Research, and the Fed's gain 2 Research. etc...)

I do see where you are going with the variation, but you should also consider the full effect of a Trade Agreement. A 3 Production agreement is the same as having 3 Production Nodes on a single world that only you ally can take away from you. 3 Production is one minimum-sized fleet each turn.

Culture as trade would be POWERFUL. I'd only EVER give that to someone who was losing... and even then I'd make sure to end it sooner than later.

Research is less dangerous, though at the same time it would allow you to raise your shields/ weapons/ advancements.

Production isn't terrible as the only material. I'd view them like this:
1 Production = Cease Fire with more powerful force
2 Production = Standard Agreement with Ally
3 Production = Aid to losing Faction to assist defeating Leading Faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will in fact be several changes made soon by the expansions in the trade structure of the game with the introduction of the Ferengi. Also with the new trade partners mechanism, as seen in photos of cards so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.