Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As of publishing the Codex, one rule has been removed. Previously a team was restricted from using Lith adventures if the opponent had favor. This rule was commonly forgotten and caused added complexity without significant enough purpose.

(This post is a bit late, but thanks players for reminding me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could we have a new update of the rules compendium on the website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brett, if possible could you describe what rules/pages changed?

I printed out the master rules, and it would make it easier to just print the changed pages.

Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated on the website, page 14, Lith section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We never forgot, but it wasn't a rule I liked so I'm glad to see the change. The Tower of Maneuver...err, Obsidian Fangs...(that's a joke for DOA 1 players ) is a really important strategic piece since it let's you save trapped characters and/or banish an enemy into one of your traps. The other towers are useful too of course.

Getting behind on the Lith was a 2-fold whammy. Down a point AND you lost a major strategic resource. Plus, it took away a "help, I need to run away and get dismissed" option.

On the downside of this change though is that Lith's point lacks any thematic heft. Labyrinths gave you cards, base blowups hindered your opponent, mercenary camp gave you henchmen, Lith gave you exclusive access.

Now Lith is just a dry point. It'd be nice to have pushing that point give something other than just a point. Maybe every X points pushed gives you an XP marker to give to your team (Lith bestowing her favor)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpitfireIXA wrote:
Updated on the website, page 14, Lith section.

I downloaded the new rules. It would be nice if the rules had a version number/date on them somewhere. (The previous versions were labeled on the cover, Aug 2013 and May 2015.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:
We never forgot, but it wasn't a rule I liked so I'm glad to see the change. The Tower of Maneuver...err, Obsidian Fangs...(that's a joke for DOA 1 players ) is a really important strategic piece since it let's you save trapped characters and/or banish an enemy into one of your traps. The other towers are useful too of course.

Getting behind on the Lith was a 2-fold whammy. Down a point AND you lost a major strategic resource. Plus, it took away a "help, I need to run away and get dismissed" option.

On the downside of this change though is that Lith's point lacks any thematic heft. Labyrinths gave you cards, base blowups hindered your opponent, mercenary camp gave you henchmen, Lith gave you exclusive access.

Now Lith is just a dry point. It'd be nice to have pushing that point give something other than just a point. Maybe every X points pushed gives you an XP marker to give to your team (Lith bestowing her favor)?

TOTALLY agree w your point about lack of thematic heft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree too. I enjoyed the narrative drama of Lith siding with one team or another like a corrupt referee taking a bribe. It helped to give Lith presence and character in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:

Had a thought the other night on this. How about causing Lith to change owners gives an XP? That brings back some incentive to change ownership besides the point itself. Before, the extra incentive was Lith challenge access, now the extra incentive is an XP point.

Thematically, Lith bestows favor on whoever caused it to flip to their side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:
Had a thought the other night on this. How about causing Lith to change owners gives an XP? That brings back some incentive to change ownership besides the point itself.

You mean an experience marker, the temporary +1 to stats for one turn?

It seems such a small benefit compared to the victory point that it's effectively negligible. I guess I wouldn't care much either way.

If I were going to make a change, it would be a bigger one. E.g., any character that increases Lith's favor for its side also gets to draw a card (one card regardless of the number of favor points, or whether it changes Lith's favor). I guess you don't like having too much equipment so maybe you wouldn't like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ckessel wrote:
Had a thought the other night on this. How about causing Lith to change owners gives an XP? That brings back some incentive to change ownership besides the point itself.

You mean an experience marker, the temporary +1 to stats for one turn?

It seems such a small benefit compared to the victory point that it's effectively negligible. I guess I wouldn't care much either way.

If I were going to make a change, it would be a bigger one. E.g., any character that increases Lith's favor for its side also gets to draw a card (one card regardless of the number of favor points, or whether it changes Lith's favor). I guess you don't like having too much equipment so maybe you wouldn't like that.

Yea, just an XP marker. The original rule where Lith was only usable by the owner was a pretty big deal strategically, but its impact was on future potential. For an immediate gain, I felt like a smaller benefit would apply.

I also wanted to keep the flip of ownership itself being meaningful, versus giving goodies every time someone went to Lith.

I did consider an equipment gain, but that felt too immediately powerful. Plus, it'd lead to "give 1 card, get 1 card" which ran thematically counter to Lith's favor being gained by giving up cards.

I suppose I could just go back to the original rules, but I do like leaving Lith's challenges open to use regardless of who owns Lith's favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:
I also wanted to keep the flip of ownership itself being meaningful, versus giving goodies every time someone went to Lith.

One issue with this, of course, is that it only flips back and forth alternately, so the number of experience markers that one side can gain is necessarily no more than one more or less than the other side can gain, which limits its effect on the game further. (This depends a bit on how you handle the case of zero favor.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another idea, and I think I like this one better. The owner of Lith's lair gets +1 on Lith adventures. That restores Lith's favor back to being specific to the Lith challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.