Limi Slime
msg tools
I'm looking for like two types of games for my friend.

First is for "larger" number of people, like 5+. She isn't exactly your geekiest girl ever. The ones she enjoys at the moment are Telestration, 7 Wonders, Dead of Winter, Codename, Bohnanza, Saboteur + others I don't know.

The second is just for 3 to 4 players. It can be a bit heavier but nothing too complex as compared to Dead of Winter. That's like her limit. I tried playing Elysium with her and her mind died. Too much explanation and text will make her lose interest. Things like worker placement with like 10 or 20 different places to place workers would be unappealing to her.

Here are some games she enjoyed or able to play (including the above): Paperback, House of Betrayal, Catan (she literally loves this and must play once every time we meet up), Smash Up, Munchkins, Splendor, Takenoko, Dominion, Forbidden Desert, Panademic, Bang, Machi Koro + others I don't remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
I haven't played it myself but isn't Dead of Winter pretty complex?

Strongly recommend Tsuro. One of the simplest games out there. It ours and hours of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Limi Slime
msg tools
Oh that, that's a good one. I played it once before. Thanks.

As for Dead of Winter, it's not that bad. Setup is pretty easy. Character cards are just randomized. Plot cards include all you need to know for setup. Deal the cards out for each player's hand and the locations. And that's all there is for setup. There are a few nicks and nacks I usually need to look up. But your "goals" are straightforward. Like there are very little strategy involved, or thinking involved. It has a lot of parts but it's really just grab resources, kill zombies and work towards the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
For 5+, Medici is a good one if she's interested in bidding games. Minimal setup and not many rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
For 5+, Medici is a good one if she's interested in bidding games. Minimal setup and not many rules

Medici does look cool and we also love Ra. Just played it with 5 the other day and found it very different than with three but still great and a different challenge to manage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franks Zoo - trick taking game with simpler rules than Tichu

Dixit - Can also be used to play Codenames: Pictures (Or get Mysterium and you can play all three)

Biblios - Might be a good fit for the 3-4 player game. Also plays great with two.

Alhambra - Another great game for 3-4 with fairly simple rule, not much set-up, but great decisions to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anneke Zakoor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham is a very fun game for 3-5 players that is easy to explain but can keep you entertained for many games (like Catan).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157969/sheriff-nottingha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cypress Lynx
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I was with a group of 6, and we wanted to play a game that didn't take too long to learn the rules for. We found that Deception: Murder in Hong Kong was really quick to learn, but super fun. It's very light on pieces, and the game itself doesn't take that long to play (although that does depend on who you're playing with!). The rules may be simple, but the game itself provides plenty of opportunity for deep thinking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne
I consider this a great cornerstone game. This and catan really started my families move to "new" board games. Its easier to learn than 7 wonders so its light enough but feels heavier when everyone starts competing at the same level. You can also get some good expansions to add weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy game for 6 players : Rise of Augustus. You could also consider One Night Ultimate Werewolf as a quick social deduction game for that number count.

If she likes settlers, you could try Deus for the 2-4 player count : the game is very simple but quite replayable. An approachable tableau-building game with a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Look for a copy of Diamant--it's fast and fun for a group of 4-8 players.

One to consider is Genoa. It's a bit more complex, but once you know how to play, it's kinda like Catan on steroids--LOTS of trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Kingsburg

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, of course, Carcassonne.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Stone Age for 3-4

Between Two Cities scales well for 5+ players, and is fairly light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.