Spyfall» Forums » General

Subject: I'd pay for Spy cards with locations... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing this game with people unfamiliar with the list of locations in the game, it's WAY too obvious who the spy is, because they'll be the only one looking at the list of locations in the book, or on a player aid printed out. It's unfortunate that the game's included Spy cards didn't list the location names by default...

That being said, I would buy a replacement set of Spy cards with the locations printed on. I feel if I print out an add the list to the Spy cards inside the sleeve, the dealer will be able to tell who got the slightly-thicker card.

Do we know if this was solved in Spyfall 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
When playing this game with people unfamiliar with the list of locations in the game, it's WAY too obvious who the spy is, because they'll be the only one looking at the list of locations in the book, or on a player aid printed out. It's unfortunate that the game's included Spy cards didn't list the location names by default...

That being said, I would buy a replacement set of Spy cards with the locations printed on. I feel if I print out an add the list to the Spy cards inside the sleeve, the dealer will be able to tell who got the slightly-thicker card.

Why not add the list to all if thickness is a concern? Or use better sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Not solved. But agree, the game needs player aides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really agree. You have to pay a few times before it starts to be fun. We made it a house rule that everyone has to look at the list of locations before they ask a question. Still obvious because one person is slower but it helped a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Quacko wrote:
I really agree. You have to pay a few times before it starts to be fun. We made it a house rule that everyone has to look at the list of locations before they ask a question. Still obvious because one person is slower but it helped a little.

We did this, too, but yeah, it didn't help enough. Problem is that the game doesn't get played enough or gets played with different people with different experience with the game, so it's very unbalanced in this regard.

In lieu of being able to replicate a card exactly myself, I'm printing out 8 additional cards with the location list on one side and sample questions on the other, and will give one to each person and tell them to hold it in their hand on top of their role card, and to look at it before or while asking a question, and at any other time they so choose. Should help a lot more than my previous attempts.

It's still been a blast to play, I just want to mitigate the chance of ruined games as much as possible.

OutOfHabit wrote:
danaolson wrote:

Why not add the list to all if thickness is a concern? Or use better sleeves?

You're kidding, right? Print out over 200 copies of the location list and put one in every sleeve?

I already sleeved the game with KMC Perfect Size, there's no need to resleeve it.

This is a problem with the game that the designers could (and should) easily fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your idea of printing the locations on one side and example questions on the other. Have you created a file for it? Could then be looked at more discreetly and with new players more likely that they would be looking at the example questions anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Quacko wrote:
I really like your idea of printing the locations on one side and example questions on the other. Have you created a file for it? Could then be looked at more discreetly and with new players more likely that they would be looking at the example questions anyway.

Not yet. I started work on it, but haven't finished it yet. I started sleeving some of my games instead...

There is something similar in the files section already, just the questions aren't on the back. So I'm basically redoing that file to be a little more useful. I could upload it when I am done, if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
Mr Quacko wrote:

Not yet. I started work on it, but haven't finished it yet. I started sleeving some of my games instead...

There is something similar in the files section already, just the questions aren't on the back. So I'm basically redoing that file to be a little more useful. I could upload it when I am done, if you want.

Could you link it here too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I finished them up. I laminated and sleeved them, and this is what they look like:

I uploaded the file here, so when it is approved, I'll edit this post with a link. (Usually takes <24 hours in my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look really nice!
But, do you think it will be easy to tell who is looking at what side? (And if you can, is that a tell?)

Maybe I missed it and they really are there, but is there any chance you can add the promo locations into the file? (Or will the file be easily editable to add any promos we personally have?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know of any promos, so I didn't add them. Once the file is approved, I can add the original source, which a Gimp XCF file... Should be fairly easy to edit, and Gimp is free software.

I think it should be hard to tell which side someone looks at if they put their role card behind it in their hand. Haven't tested yet, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
I didn't know of any promos, so I didn't add them. Once the file is approved, I can add the original source, which a Gimp XCF file... Should be fairly easy to edit, and Gimp is free software.

I think it should be hard to tell which side someone looks at if they put their role card behind it in their hand. Haven't tested yet, though.

Let me know how it goes.
I can imagine nearly every player wanting to see both sides of the card. But maybe I'm wrong.

For the list:
Those who aren't spies want to ask/answer questions that can maybe sound like more than one place on the list, but still leave a little hidden nugget to those who are in the know.
The spies need it as a lifeline, basically.

For the questions:
Well, everyone needs a little inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so, I don't think it really matters which side any given player is looking at.

Someone pointed out a typo in my image... That's what I get for not proofreading and designing on my TV while sitting on the couch...

I'll fix and add the promo locations. I just need the list of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
Yeah, so, I don't think it really matters which side any given player is looking at.

Someone pointed out a typo in my image... That's what I get for not proofreading and designing on my TV while sitting on the couch...

I'll fix and add the promo locations. I just need the list of them.

Mark them as promos if you can:

Ice Hockey Stadium
Gaming Convention
Cathedral

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only three of them? OK, cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the fixed version is up now.
Double-sided location list / question example cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.